Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsung Next Generation Episodes

Options
  • 09-01-2010 12:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Everybody has their favourites (Mine being the one where Picard has to prove that Data is a sentient being, the one where Picard is trapped by a probe which brings him to an alien planet where he has children and grows old to watch the civilisation die off, the one about the ship being caught in a time space loop, the three about Picard and the borg etc.) but what about the unsung episodes? All of those mentioned are the more famous ones, where Star Trek challenges big themes... How about ones where they challenge smaller themes but had a bit more character?

(Oh, forgot to mention that episode where the nervous officer gets flashed by an alien probe, changed into the most advanced human ever, and sends Enterprise hurtling 30,000 light years away...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

"I didn't kill just one Husnock, or a hundred, or a thousand... I killed them all... all Husnock... everywhere."

Still gives me a shiver everytime I watch that episode. This mild mannered old man turns out to be a God like being who wiped out an entire species with a mere thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

L31mr0d wrote: »
    "I didn't kill just one Husnock, or a hundred, or a thousand... I killed them all... all Husnock... everywhere."

Still gives me a shiver everytime I watch that episode. This mild mannered old man turns out to be a God like being who wiped out an entire species with a mere thought.

that was a creepy episode, the interaction between picard and that character was very well scripted. Picard was representing the audience in that episode I think, unravelling the mystery, kind of like a narrator detective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Am I weird that I was thinking
    "I wonder if he let their tech out there?"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

1. All Good Things - The final one. The best one.

2. Yesterdays Enterprise.

3. Chain of Command

4. Tapestry

5. The Inner light

My top 5. Don't think their 'unsung' though.

Other episodes I love: The Defector, Deja Q, Galaxys Child. I could go on and on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

That ep also has Speaker-to-Animals Worf's best ever line: "Good tea...nice house" :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The episode with Dick Jones and 'THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS' rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Britt Reid

Yeah !! Chain of Command - nice to see another captain come in (Captain Jellico - dick jones), do things differently and still get the job done while the crew are uncomfortable with him - echoes real life.

my own favourites in no particular order

lower decks - the junior officers one

the chase - the search for the beginnings of life one

tapestry - where picards heart is damaged and Q gives him the chance to live a pivotal moment of his life again - and live with the consequences - love the ending where picard is laughing looking at the knife

anything with Q, the borg or cardassians is great though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Britt Reid

p.s. (and written by ronald moore of 'Battlestar Galactica')

...............damn, now i have to go watch it............again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I love the one with Brad Dourif as Ensign Suter the serial killer, who they release when the ship is captured so he can kill all the intruders.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Denerick wrote: »
    Everybody has their favourites (Mine being the one where Picard has to prove that Data is a sentient being,

Good ep
    the one where Picard is trapped by a probe which brings him to an alien planet where he has children and grows old to watch the civilisation die off,

I hate that one

(Oh, forgot to mention that episode where the nervous officer gets flashed by an alien probe, changed into the most advanced human ever, and sends Enterprise hurtling 30,000 light years away...)

Barclay, what a legend.

The Pegasus episode is one of my favourites too.

• Advertisement

eamon234 wrote: »
    I love the one with Brad Dourif as Ensign Suter the serial killer, who they release when the ship is captured so he can kill all the intruders.

Thats Voyager rather than TNG isin't it?

The episode after BoBW, family is really good for exploring the aftermath of Picards encounter with the Borg. It added some more depth to his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It added some more depth to his character.

Loved the ending of that episode with Picards nephew lying at the base of a tree staring up at the stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I saw a Voyager episode recently that I thought was disturbing and brilliant - it was one where Harry Kim was trapped in a simulation being taunted by a clown that was the embodiment of fear. Had I been any younger it would have given me nightmares and the ending has got to be one of my favorite Star Trek endings ever

Slice wrote: »
    I saw a Voyager episode recently that I thought was disturbing and brilliant - it was one where Harry Kim was trapped in a simulation being taunted by a clown that was the embodiment of fear. Had I been any younger it would have given me nightmares and the ending has got to be one of my favorite Star Trek endings ever

that reminds me of another voy episode that was actually good, course oblivion where they all die. Its like what would happen to Voy if it was in the real world.

Slice wrote: »

I think that may be my most hated trek episode of any series ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

My favorite TNG episode is Genesis

Its about the crew oft the enterprise de-evolving lol except for Data and Picard (which went out to buy some milk)

It scared me when i was a kid when worf turned into this **** scary Caveman Klingon that could shoot acid out of his mouth lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

Lower Decks, Disaster, Conundrum, Cause and Effect and so many others. Love nearly every TNG episodes, especially ones that focus on Beverly.

CSaber wrote: »
    Lower Decks, Disaster, Conundrum, Cause and Effect and so many others. Love nearly every TNG episodes, especially ones that focus on Beverly.

aye, I liked sub rosa too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wtf :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 somuj_2

That is probably in my bottom 5 of all time episodes. I really dislike watching:(

somuj_2 wrote: »
    That is probably in my bottom 5 of all time episodes. I really dislike watching:(

Yeah it is a pile of crap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What episode is that? It doesn't ring a bell. :confused:

Oh God, if I started listing episodes I'd probably end up with about 130! :D
    Most of the episode ending cliffhangers are great! And as has been stated, the Picard getting tortured by the Cardassian is excellent. Plus, any Q episodes!

I also like 'Data's Day' (I love any Data episode showing his little quirks.)
    'Tapestry' (with Q, of course, allowing Picard to go back and change an event in the course of his life. It would have been VERY funny if he'd been left stuck as the timid science officer!) and
    'I Borg' because I never thought I'd see another side to the Borg- and it raised some interesting ethical questions about the destruction of a race. Plus Hugh is cute and there's some good moments with him and Geordie.
    "You will be assimilated." "Yes, but before that can I just.." :)

Posy wrote: »
    What episode is that? It doesn't ring a bell. :confused:

the one with the single perfect house on the entire fecked up planet, right?
    Two old people living there, woman turns out to be fake, figment of his imagination or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

the one with the single perfect house on the entire fecked up planet, right?
    Two old people living there, woman turns out to be fake, figment of his imagination or something

Yeah and Troi is mentally tortured by the music box.

I'll have to give it a watch, sounds good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

That ep includes Worf's best ever line: "Good tea ...... nice house".

That ep includes Worf's best ever line: "Good tea ...... nice house".
    Hahaha, I watched this episode and that's so true! Worf drinking from his little china teacup is very funny. :D
    I wasn't sure what to make of the old man in the episode. He let all those people die because he refused to fight; yet all the colonists and the whole Husnock were wiped out subsequently by his actions. I kind of felt sorry for him and think Picard did the right thing by just leaving him alone. His eternity of mental anguish and living in his false little 'bubble' are probably punishment enough. (plus the Husnock didn't seem like very nice people anyway!) :P
    L31mr0d was right; that line about him killing "all Husnock... everywhere" was unsettling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Time's Arrow ... I love that 2 part ep ... awesome ... everything just falls into place in it.

Advertisement