Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Would this work in Galway? If they put some rental things in the suburbs and made it practical to commute on them then this would be more successful than any bus expansion.

Although the Seamus Quirke road bus lanes will be the single most important public transport development in Galway ever. It'll hugely increase the reliability and attractiveness of the Red Buses and the 4 and 5 BE buses.

Bikes could work in Galway but need Irish Rail on board! I want to commute from Limerick to Galway by train then cycle to the hospital. But guess what I cant bring my bike on the train! (Thats if the train ever makes it from the limerick station to the galway station!) Also on street parking would need to be looked at. Some roads (like Marys Road, where I was knocked of my cycle last year and spent 6weeks on sick leave) should have a ban on on street parking during peek hours. (Ie 0745 to 1000 and 14:30 to 19:00 week days.) This would allow for cycle lanes during these times and make it safer around the schools and local residents could still park there vehicles over night and on weekends! Also stop them parents parking on the curb. Why cant the local schools use the Boys school as a drop and go point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

1. Before Irish Rail "upgraded" their rolling stock, you could bring your bike. Now that they've no guard's carriage, you can't. I agree completely, a little joined up thinking is needed.

2. There needs to be significantly more Clearways in Galway (properly enforced) and those that are already in exitense need to be strenuously enforced. I suspect that most drivers don't even know what a Clearway is! Taxis seem to stop in them at any time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Things were quite for a while but we now have one of the premier Galway Screechy environmentalists on the case.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9938-bypass-flood-warning-slammed-premature

Basically it was the M6 motorway what flooded Ballinasloe and not the highest November rainfall on record according to An Taisce .

Mr Hambleton said that there were “lessons to be learned” from the impact of the new M6 motorway as it passed over the River Suck in Ballinasloe and warned of similar effects if the outer bypass project ever went ahead in the city.

As for the Galway Bypass
    THE Galway branch of environmental watchdog group, An Taisce, claimed yesterday that the proposed City Outer Bypass could lead to disastrous flooding in the suburbs of the city

Hambleton evidently knows as much about hydrology as a dog does about his father :(

This new bypass, if ever built, would pass through the flooded village of Menlo, before crossing over the River Corrib to divide and ‘de-water’ the Tonabrocky and Moycullen bog complex.

How can you dewater a bloody bog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was just going to post about that.

Disgraceful that they are using the recent floods (in which some people's lives were ruined) to try and get people against the bypass.

KevR wrote: »
    Disgraceful that they are using the recent floods (in which some people's lives were ruined) to try and get people against the bypass.

They are essentially sociopathic . Even an taisce itself has not carried the story on their website given the unsound and unfounded accusations made.

Which bit of record November rainfall do these people not understand and that includes thick journos working for the sentinel who normally spend their time covering drunk and disorderlies on a monday morning :(

An Taisce THEMSELVES carried THIS last week

http://www.antaisce.org/News/AnTaisceRelatedNewsReleases/tabid/262/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/103/Heavy-rains-part-of-new-weather-pattern.aspx
    CLIMATE CHANGE: THE SERIES of “massive” rain belts across Connacht this week are a foretaste of new weather patterns due to climate change, an NUI Galway lecturer has said.

Kieran Hickey, lecturer in geography, said it had been at least 20 to 30 years since there had been such a combination of heavy, highly intense and prolonged rainfall in the west.

“Whereas such an occurrence back then would be described as unusual, this is the pattern that we are going to see more of due to climate change,” he said.

Dr Hickey, who is author of Five Minutes to Midnight? Ireland and Climate Change, said warmer atmospheres tend to hold more moisture.

Over the past century, the north and west have recorded more days with heavier rain but there has been no clear pattern of change elsewhere on the island.

He quoted a recent study which found that there were 15 to 20 per cent increases in rainfall along the west coast, with smaller increases elsewhere and no marked change in Dublin’s rainfall over the past 40 years.

“An exacerbating factor in terms of how we cope is the number of housing estates built on flood plains since the last serious flooding in this region,” Dr Hickey said. “Flood plains by their nature relieve excess water, and we’ve built on them in spite of the evidence,” he added.

Weather expert Frank Gaffney said this week’s rainfall, with just over 60mm falling in Galway on Tuesday alone, is the heaviest for November since he began keeping records in 1966.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Even an taisce itself has not carried the story on their website given the unsound and unfounded accusations made.

Have you some inside knowledge that that's true?

An Taisce at one time was quite a reputable organisation in Galway, but now it's gone beyond a joke. If something could be done to get an Taisce to silence or remove Hambleton it would do a lot of good for Galway and, incidentally, for An Taisce.

It's like he's hardwired just to object to everything. There is a total lack of feeling or empathy for the effect that statements and actions have on others.

I also cannot understand how he chooses to ignore that Galway would have been completely cut off were it not for the section of the M6 which was opened temporarily. He also conveniently ignored that the M6 has specifially designed to deal with flooding issues. Attenuation resevoirs are specically provided and would quite clearly have to be provided on the bypass.

As usual, Hambleton never lets facts get in the way of his hysteria.

churchview wrote: »
    Have you some inside knowledge that that's true?
    Hysterical and ill founded statement issued to tribune monday , not on an taisce website tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Funny how none of them mention that it was the unfinished M6 that stopped Galway from getting completely cut off from the rest of the country??

If the roads from South, North and East flooded (which they did) and the M6 wasnt there, how long would it take for Galway to run out of food? Sounds crazy and armageddonish, but where would Galway get its food from if it cant be brought in by truck or rail?

It's not a bit crazy.

There was a short while, before the M6 opened, that the only way out or in was by air. Now, I don't know where the flooding was at Carnmore, but maybe the airport was blocked as well?

I really believe that the people/company who arranged that the M6 open at such short notice deserve great credit.

where would Galway get its food from if it cant be brought in by truck or rail?

Tea Clippers , if the morons in Galway an taisce were to get their way :(

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Tea Clippers , if the morons in Galway an taisce were to get their way :(

They'd object to Tea Clippers on the basis that allowing them into the docks would be a change of use requiring planning :D

Hambleton is already objecting to the redevelopment of Galway Docks (very badly needed) and one of his grounds is that Galway lacks the appropriate road infrastructure.

And the Galway Bypass?....is that a road?....is that Infrastructure?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just been lookin at the plans for the bypass

No N17 junction? What the flip? :eek:

Someone enlighten me?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just been lookin at the plans for the bypass

No N17 junction? What the flip? :eek:

Someone enlighten me?

It'll be the R3xx by the time the GCOB gets built; thats the justification.

Is it sensible? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Is it sensible? No. But the only reason its not there is to stop people coming off the bypass and ploughing north to Claregalway. The aim is to force them to use the M17.

Now if the M17 was closer to Galway rather than out by Athenry it mightnt be so bad.

Am a bit confused. Is the Galway bypass going ahead? If so when? Where can you find the plans for it?

Also wondering is there any plan to increase the size of the Seamus Quirke Road to DC standard as far as the Western Distributor? I would think if they done this with a overbridge were it crosses the Newcastle Road and an upgrade of the Terrylands and Headford roundabout you could easy Galway traffic considerable.

Would personally remove lights on Terryland or replace with orange and red arrows only at the enterence to the roundabout. Not physically within the roundabout!

Also think the lanes on and off the roundabout could be better designed for ease of use!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

kiwipower wrote: »
    Also wondering is there any plan to increase the size of the Seamus Quirke Road to DC standard as far as the Western Distributor? I would think if they done this with a overbridge were it crosses the Newcastle Road and an upgrade of the Terrylands and Headford roundabout you could easy Galway traffic considerable.

Would personally remove lights on Terryland or replace with orange and red arrows only at the enterence to the roundabout. Not physically within the roundabout!

Also think the lanes on and off the roundabout could be better designed for ease of use!

It was planned to widen the Seamus Quirke road to dual carriageway, they basically got planning permision for it from what i recall. However it's never going to happen apart from maybe widening it to have seperate bus lanes each way.

dubhthach wrote: »
    It was planned to widen the Seamus Quirke road to dual carriageway, they basically got planning permision for it from what i recall. However it's never going to happen apart from maybe widening it to have seperate bus lanes each way.
    Well thats pure narrow mindedness for your! would there not be enough room for DC and a single bus lane? They could always be very cleaver and bring busess around the back of the westside shopping centre. It would be closer to the estates as well that way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well thats pure narrow mindedness for your! would there not be enough room for DC and a single bus lane? They could always be very cleaver and bring busess around the back of the westside shopping centre. It would be closer to the estates as well that way! :)

Well I'm in favour of dual carriageway thankfully when I was living in Galway I hardly ever had to go that way during rush hour. As regards dual carriageway and extra bus lane each way. Well I don't know if they have enough land. The widening was to be done in the land the corpo already own (the strip along the Dunnes stores side). Wether they be able to fit a dual-carriageway plus 2 bus lanes into this I don't know.
    Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

The Bye-Laws will be implemented from 1st February 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Am a bit confused. Is the Galway bypass going ahead? If so when? Where can you find the plans for it?

The plans that APB have ruled on are available on the Galway City Council Bypass project website. I believe that there are plans to put the eastern half (including the bridge) to tender next year(2010).

There were 4 proposed alternate routes outlined for the second half (I believe they have been discussed earlier in the thread).

And as far as I'm aware there's an appeal to Europe on at least part of it (which hopefully Máire Geoghegan-Quinn will have some influence on and get it and get it quashed so we can start to have a suitable infrastructure in the west).

This (below) is on the Galway News website, and it cites Galway Bay FM as the source. Granted, neither are exactly Reuters! but does anyone have any detail on this news? It seems that the nutter Sweetman is still pushing ahead.

SUPREME COURT APPEAL LIKELY AGAINST OUTER CITY BYPASS

January 22, 2010 - 12:30pm A supreme court appeal is anticipated against An Bord Pleanala's decision to grant part of the outer city bypass in Galway.
    Peter Sweetman lost a High court challenge last October against the bypass.
    An order on the High Court judgement is expected to be made next week, before the decision can be appealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n6_outer/intermap.htm

thanks for the link, very interesting i hope we get a proper road around galway... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Can't they not just build another bridge upstream and tie it onto the exiting bypass. The existing bypass seems pointless if the other bypass goes ahead. The problem is the Headford road and all traffic funnelling onto the Quisential bridge however you spell it, cant be bothered to find the correct spelling.

mysterious wrote: »
    Can't they

No!

Can't they not just build another bridge upstream and tie it onto the exiting bypass. The existing bypass seems pointless if the other bypass goes ahead. The problem is the Headford road and all traffic funnelling onto the Quisential bridge however you spell it, cant be bothered to find the correct spelling.

Ever hear of Kingston Road, Bishop O'Donnell Road, Knocknacarra, Barna, Spiddal, Cois Fharraige? All of these need the bypass now.

And what "existing bypass" are you talking about? If you mean the road of which the Quincentennial bridge is part, how exactly is it a bypass if it goes through residential areas of the City, the vast majority of which were already well settled when the bridge was built?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The existing bypass seems pointless if the other bypass goes ahead.

The "existing bypass" is S4, and infested with roundabouts. Its effectively a distributor road. It hasn't functioned as a bypass for as long as I've been legally old enough to drive.

The bridge isn't the problem - its the undersized and overly frequent roundabouts which are the cause of the up to hour long delays to go from one side of the city to the other. More than once I've spent 90 minutes getting from Barna to Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think you can only appeal to the Supreme court on points of law, ie, they can say the High Court was legally wrong to do x, but cannot just overturn a decision of the High Court unless it was a legally incorrect thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

MYOB wrote: »
    The "existing bypass" is S4, and infested with roundabouts. Its effectively a distributor road. It hasn't functioned as a bypass for as long as I've been legally old enough to drive.

The bridge isn't the problem - its the undersized and overly frequent roundabouts which are the cause of the up to hour long delays to go from one side of the city to the other. More than once I've spent 90 minutes getting from Barna to Oranmore.

Well the New N6 link removes a few.

• Advertisement

Well the New N6 link removes a few.

Between Oranmore and Barna it removes 1 or 0 (depending), buy a map willya :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement