Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My 2010 50 book challenge

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So... this is my first thread and my new year's resolution. I used to read a LOT but life got in the way somewhat; I think I used the excuse of studying for the last few years for falling out of the (wonderful!) habit and now I want to change that. I already have a nice full book shelf lined up and have finished my first book of the year in 2 days... Appropriately enough it was:

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zuzack

and I absolutely loved it! The idea of Death as the narrator and the unusual descriptions really made it for me...

So there you have it; my first thread, my first book of 2010 and my inspiration for my username! Now off to choose the next literary adventure!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Book Thief

2. The Old Man & the Sea- Ernest Hemmingway
    A short book for a busy week but enjoyed the imagery. The struggle between the old man and the fish was very symbolic- and unexpectedly moving.

Still on target and I'll start my next book this evening...

3. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

A really moving read. I also loved A Thousand Splendid Suns so it was a pleasure to revisit the wonderful descriptions of Afghanistan and its incredibly interesting history and culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deckus

I've decided to also take on this challenge. Its a great idea. I'm already a month behind but I still think I can there. Vicktor E Frankel-Man's search for meaning is a great read also.

Hi Deckus,

Really think it's a good idea... motivates you and also it'll be nice to have a record at the end of the year of everything I've read. Don't worry about starting late- sure you're only about 2-3 books behind! I really must start in to the next one very soon- I want to finish it by Sunday to stay on track for 4 books by the end of January!

Advertisement