Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pickpocketing in pubs

• 24-01-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Hey all...

This is just a word of warning, seeing as though this is the 5th time this has happened. Whoever is pickpocketing, they seem to target girls on the dancefloor mainly...take stuff right from their handbags

Some are serious pros though, another female friend got her wallet stolen. But wierd thing is they knew her PIN and withdrew €700 from her account that night :eek:. Cops said they watch ppl at ATMs and follow them to pub/club.

Alot of it happens outside afterwards, everyone langers etc. That area can have some dodgy characters at the best of times SO BEWARE PPL!!

Last night one of the girls got her wallet and phone taken last night, 3rd time its happened to her there. Another girl got her phone taken. We've been onto the pub in question, but i dont know if theres much they can do!?

Drop handbags in with your coats or something...theres a serious problem in that place!

over and out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Looks like what is needed there is a good does of vigilante justice.

That's the thing about crowded pubs that you don't think anything of a few hundred people rubbing against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

im amazed you guys still go there anymore then. So one girl has had her stuff robbed 3 times now from the same place! Maybe you should warn her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

fincollins wrote: »
    Hey all...

This is just a word of warning, seeing as though this is the 5th time this has happened. Whoever is pickpocketing, they seem to target girls on the dancefloor mainly...take stuff right from their handbags

Some are serious pros though, another female friend got her wallet stolen. But wierd thing is they knew her PIN and withdrew €700 from her account that night :eek:. Cops said they watch ppl at ATMs and follow them to pub/club.

Alot of it happens outside afterwards, everyone langers etc. That area can have some dodgy characters at the best of times SO BEWARE PPL!!

Last night one of the girls got her wallet and phone taken last night, 3rd time its happened to her there. Another girl got her phone taken. We've been onto the pub in question, but i dont know if theres much they can do!?

Drop handbags in with your coats or something...theres a serious problem in that place!

over and out

If they are watching people at ATMs, how do they know that person is subsequently going to go to a certain pub?

I'd say it is the ATM that has the problem and not the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

If they are watching people at ATMs, how do they know that person is subsequently going to go to a certain pub?

I'd say it is the ATM that has the problem and not the pub.

Theres footage of the same guy at ATM and a certain pub, red handed. he followed her there! scary $hite!

i know i know...wont be going there anymore i can tell you that!

Theres footage of the same guy at ATM and whelans, red handed. he followed her there! scary $hite!

i know i know...wont be going there anymore i can tell you that!

So does he wait inside the pub, follow people out to the ATM, shoulder-surf, memorise their pin, follow them back in to the pub, steal their bag if the opportunity presents itself then withdraw their cash?

Or does he hang round the ATM waiting for someone who looks like he is going to the pub and do all the pin stuff then follow them in?

I reckon your story is full of more holes than a golf course. You have been refused entry or ejected from the pub last night and are coming on here to defame them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

So does he wait inside the pub, follow people out to the ATM, shoulder-surf, memorise their pin, follow them back in to the pub, steal their bag if the opportunity presents itself then withdraw their cash?

Or does he hang round the ATM waiting for someone who looks like he is going to the pub and do all the pin stuff then follow them in?

I reckon your story is full of more holes than a golf course. You have been refused entry or ejected from the pub last night and are coming on here to defame them

WTF? Victim goes to ATM, person watches for PIN. Victim goes to the pub, person follows, and pickpockets...returns to ATM and withdraws money. Why are you being so wierd about it???

I didnt think it was possible, but it happened.

WTF? Victim goes to ATM, person watches for PIN. Victim goes to whelans, person follows, and pickpockets...returns to ATM and withdraws money. Why are you being so wierd about it???

I didnt think it was possible, but it happened.

Because it has nothing to do with where the victim goes. If someone is at the ATM in Wexford St. they could go to Whelans, Anseo, The Palace, Flannerys, Solas off the top of my head.

So why make reference to a specific pub [Edited out of the thread]? If someone is going to get followed, they will get followed to wherever they are going.

[Snipped]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

I had a coat nicked from there when I left it on my seat as I went to the bar to get a pint. The attitude of their bouncers afterwards means I haven't been back since.

My point is that your friend was targeted on the street. Not in the club she went to.

It's not fair to point the finger at one specific bar or any other club or pub as regardless of where she had gone, the thief would have gone too. If she had nipped in to mass, she'd be followed in there and it could even have occurred in the church.

It would appear that in general pubs are taking the matter seriously and have involved the Gardai so hopefully whoever is doing it will be caught sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

I run a club there on Monday nights and my audio interface that was used for DJ booth was left on table. I have the cctv footage from last monday so clearly can see the two lads(long blondy wavey haired chap and the guy who shoved it up his jumper had short black or brown hair with pointed shoes and long grey coat) come up to the table and fleece it. :mad:

Cctv cameras arent great but they do give you a good idea of what they look like in infra red.

Thats a shockin story as I was there last night! Cant afford anything else to be robbed. It was fairly packed alright so could have been easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In fairness though, you'd have to be a bit stupid to be pickpocketed three times in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsKitka

Handbags and rucksacks at clubs are such a nightmare. The best thing to do, IMHO, is to carry your valuables about your person when you're on the dancefloor. It might ruin the line of your clothing but at least you won't get robbed. I used to stuff my wallet in my bra. Mobile phones are trickier though.... you wouldn't want ringing boobs and sweat-soaked mobiles!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

My mate had his iPod taken in there last week, had it stuffed into his hoodie. I don't go into the back much, is there a proper cloakroom back there? Always see people leaving stuff on the stage, but there's a bouncer there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There's a cloakroom of sorts upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Aviana Early Squeamishness

Guys before any one specific pub gets it in the neck too much I'll just say this.

With only one exception each & every pub & club I've worked in has had a problem with dipper's, my usual advice - watch the lounge staff!.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Moderator Note:

Some replies, the name and the context of some of the posts here have been edited or deleted.

Tom

Advertisement