Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Attack - What Happened? Please post all questions here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Well handled lads, actually heard about it first on the 6-1 news! Really shows how big this site has grown! Good advice too regarding the passwords, only used the same one on one other site but it could have done with a change anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Hi, everyone! It's great to have you all back on line! The folks on boards.ie handled that crisis like the professionals they are. They're the ones who should be in government, not the clowns we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done for the prompt and comprehensive response. Great to have ye back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cheers guys. Thanks especially for keeping us informed on Twitter. That gave some entertainment while the site was down! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Well done and thank you for all the hard work done to get the site back on line so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Overheal wrote: »
    Thank God - my caffeine-free solidarity is over. I had already fallen off my chair in Work.

Your post has made it onto the BBC website :D
    Site users have welcomed the return of Boards.ie with one poster noting: "Thank God - my caffeine-free solidarity is over. I had already fallen off my chair in work."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Thekk08

any word on when adverts might be back up lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Well done to all at HQ. It's tough when a production system goes down for any reason, the external attacks really suck (have a few of those t-shirts myself).

Well done on the excellent communications and in getting everything back up and running.

It's great to have this essential service back :-)

Pity I can't access my registration e-mail address. I don't envy you having to sort out all the people in the same boat as me. It's only a username, but it's like an old friend at this stage :-)

Au revoir to 'dancin', hello to 'dancineile' - Imaginative, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭gmt

That would probably be of help to a lot of people.
    Might I suggest a course of action?

If someone contacts boards.ie to say they have forgotten their email address used to sign up, but can provide their username, then:
    1. Reply with the first 4 letters of the email address on file for that account.
    2. This may help the person remember the full email address and they can reset the password as normal.

If the email account no longer exists, then;
    1. Wait a few weeks.
    2. If the account remains untouched (with password not reset), then it's reasonably safe to assume that the person claiming the account as there is telling the truth.

....The above is just off the top of my head. I'm knackered and probably haven't thought everything through. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Congrats guys on getting her back up. Jaysus that must have been the worst couple of days of work evar!
    Thanks to team Double D. I was really starting to enjoy the hell out of twitter. I got like 20 followers out of it.
    Now to feed them my zany right wing political beliefs in haiku form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 FredH3ad

Thanks a bunch boards. Now I have to change all my other site passwords :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

fcukreg wrote: »
    Was the media in Belfast & Derry notified...? Irish news, Derry Journal, Belfast Telegraph, BBC NI, Downtown etc

I hope so, as boards.ie has an all-Ireland user base.

Doesn't look like it though based on boards.ie reports on media contacts..
    "Composed a Press Release and released it to relevant media.
    Contacted the Press Office of RTE.ie to organise/facilitate 6.1 News report to broaden the reach of our notice."

"Responded to media queries including RTE news, The Last Word on TodayFM, KCLR FM, Techcentral.ie, Sunday Business Post, Irish Daily Mail, Metro Herald."

reported this morning
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8473824.stm
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/irish_board_hack/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Great to have you back guys, as the song says "you don't know what you got till it's gone"
    We arent even a full month into the year but i think the team surely deserve one of their own boards.ie awards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Jaysus, you really don't know how much you love something til it's gone! I was at a loss yesterday... wandering around the tinternet like a lost soul. God only knows how many times I refreshed the notice page... that sad! Anyway, great to have ye back!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I bet it was the Covies getting their revenge!! :pac:

I was so tempted to text Dav and ask did he try turning it off and turning it on again, but I reckoned that the response would probably melt my mobile!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Awesome work on keeping people informed and in the loop, kudos on that.

Rather dissappointed at how cynically it seemed to be turned into a PR exercise though, both through twitter and pushing it in the news. Ah well, exposure is good I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Well done to all involved. Kudos.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It was the government/mainstream media trying to crush boards before DeV could tell us all his political plans to lead us to utopia.

Did anyone else see the smug looks on the RTE news presenter's faces? "We get to keep our overpaid jobs for at least another year because of this" their eyes were saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

My name is Jack Bauer tom murphy (dev/conor/dav/darragh/whoever), and this is the longest day of my life.

so .. anyways .. couple more questions .. i'm interested!
    = can you give us more details as to how the admin account was compromised?
    = was it the vbullietin admin account or the server one?
    = how was it detected so quick? do you have alerts setup or something? or was this a slow response time relative to what it should be?
    = what have you spent the last 36 hours doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

Congratulations, on your excellent and professional handling of this matter- a challenge to all concerned!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

DEY TUK UR DEYTABASS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Kudos on the way this was handled, very professional.

I dread to think what could would have happened this time last year.
    Thekk08 wrote: »
    any word on when adverts might be back up lads?
    No, thank God. The mods have the night off and are availing of this infrequent event to consume beer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was so tempted to text Dav and ask did he try turning it off and turning it on again, but I reckoned that the response would probably melt my mobile!! :D

This is the time I usually have a nice glass of whisky as I browse in a leisurely fashion. I'm glad I didn't do it tonight, spitting good scotch at monitors is a terrible waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

glad to see you got things sorted, well done and thanks for the various press releases and site updates, was a tough couple of days without you

<hugs laptop>

;)

PS, was boards UK affected by this breech, cant display them since boards went down

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

FredH3ad wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch boards. Now I have to change all my other site passwords :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes because it was all boards fault.:rolleyes:

And you shouldn't have the same password for other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Id love to be able to log back in as my usual self.

Unfortunatley the email account i used when i set up in July 2006 was haxzored by the FBI and i no longer can use it as its pending in a case against me*.

Yours sincerely

Snyper :(

*may not be true, may be because it was an old work email, in aplace i dont work anymore :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

well done lads, made me realise even more how much i depend on the site to break up a day or for general info.
    unfortunately the time off has shown my boss how productive i can actually be, lets hope he's not expecting the same next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Thanks for the efficient and professional response.
    Well done!

Gammmeee onnnnnn!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

that said great publicity for the boards. Was even on BBC website yesterday. Never knew if was a forum for quake game to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

copacetic wrote: »
    I understand that passwords being compromised is unlikely,

Why that?
    They have (parts of) the user database. They had access to an administrative account.
    Chances are they have the salt, too.

Cracking simple passwords is done quite quick.

MFZ

Advertisement