Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Federation V The star wars Empire War

Options
  • 13-01-2010 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Who are more advanced and who would win if there was a war and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

It Depends:

Both come from different Galaxies. Are they fighting in the Star Wars Galaxy or ours?
    I think whoever is fighting on home turf is going to win.

However, if hypothetically both powers were to reside in the same galaxy I honestly believe that the Empire would win hands down.
    Star Destroyers
    Super Star Destroyers
    The Death Star
    The Force

Compare this to an enemy who has very little battleships and are always humanitarian and kind.
    The Federation wouldn't stand a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    It Depends:

Both come from different Galaxies. Are they fighting in the Star Wars Galaxy or ours?
    I think whoever is fighting on home turf is going to win.

However, if hypothetically both powers were to reside in the same galaxy I honestly believe that the Empire would win hands down.
    Star Destroyers
    Super Star Destroyers
    The Death Star
    The Force

Compare this to an enemy who has very little battleships and are always humanitarian and kind.
    The Federation wouldn't stand a chance.

Not having battle ships isnt really a great argument because the federation were as powerful if not more so then the klingons and romulans who had lots of battle ships, I certainly would fancy the enterprise E against any Klingon or Romulan war ship one on one(without cloak)

Also the star destroyers dont seem to have shields

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Trek would win.

Phasers v Lasers
    Photons v Laser cannon (as in broadsides at start of ep3)

Hand phasers v laser blasters

Shields v no shields

Cloaks (for some) v no cloaks

Warp (slow) v Hyper mega get anywhere in the galaxy really fast hyperspace

On balance Trek wins

Plus they could always send the borg, the jedi's would be fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Trek without a doubt, also star wars was set in a galaxy far far away. Therefore it may be a much smaller galaxy and quicker to navigate. Trek tech is vastly superior to star wars tech, the only advantage the empire would have initially would be the force but some engineer character would quickly come up with a technobabble solution to block it. And star trek is better than star wars as a franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Trek without a doubt, also star wars was set in a galaxy far far away. Therefore it may be a much smaller galaxy and quicker to navigate. Trek tech is vastly superior to star wars tech, the only advantage the empire would have initially would be the force but some engineer character would quickly come up with a technobabble solution to block it. And star trek is better than star wars as a franchise.

By using that argument, one must also remember that Star Wars ocurred "a long time ago" - therefore the technology seen in Episode VI would have become much, much stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Sorry, but I think the Empire would p*ss on the Federation without even breaking a sweat.

The sheer number of starships that the Empire posessed - thousands of Star Destroyers alone, would be a decisove factor.

Also, take a look at the size comparison charts on this link will give you an idea ofthe Empire's advantage.

http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comparison/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

who cares if there empires ships are bigger . there slow when out of hyperspace, i mean two of them nearly crashed into each other in empire, so they cant turn very fast , there weapons seem to be able to hit fuuuk all .

The lost countless battles to one man fighter craft .

As already pointed out they down even have any bloody shields , i mean i also remember a awing or something in return of the jedi crashing into directly into the bridge/tower of a star destroyer

If one x-wing could destroy the empires best weapon , then i am pretty the defiant could have just cloaked and gone down the stupid tunnel and bowen up the death star very simply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

If one x-wing could destroy the empires best weapon , then i am pretty the defiant could have just cloaked and gone down the stupid tunnel and bowen up the death star very simply.

In ANH or ROTJ?

In ANH the X Wing could barely fit down the tunnel........much simpler to beam a photon torpedo down to be honest,

ROTJ, the Millenium Falcon got down nto the bowels, so i suppose a Defiant calss could make it in too.

Having said that, you have to assume that Star Wars tech would have come on in leaps and bounds considering the entire Galactic Empire/Republic was A LONG TIME AGO, IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY

(hit the music)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    By using that argument, one must also remember that Star Wars ocurred "a long time ago" - therefore the technology seen in Episode VI would have become much, much stronger.

The statement, "a long time ago" infers that the civilization portrayed no longer exists. In any case they could just hit a wall with the tech or Kirk could just go back in time to equalize the playing field. Or even better, Q could tamper with the timeline to give humanity a "helping hand" as he did with the borg, namely that the events he set in motion by forcing the enterprise into an early encounter led to the events in first contact, whereby the borg went back in time and who were later discovered by the ent crew, thereby setting off a signal which alerted the borg of humanity's existence which compelled Q to force the Ent into an early encounter lest they be destroyed in the near future which is the acausal nexus for the loop.

Moreover the fed were able to build their fleet back up in a year after wolf 359, so they could easily match the empires numbers.

A hypothetical envisioning of what would happen if the fed went up against the empire can be found here

Needless to say, I know who I'd wager on.

As already pointed out they down even have any bloody shields , i mean i also remember a awing or something in return of the jedi crashing into directly into the bridge/tower of a star destroyer

Don't know who pointed that out... They're wrong in any case!

Most ships in the SW universe have shields, with only the smallest fighters such as the A-wing and TIE fighters having no shield generators.
    If you watch ROTJ you'll notice that the Star Destroyer's bridge deflector shield was knocked out before the A-wing collided with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

irishthump wrote: »
    Also, take a look at the size comparison charts on this link will give you an idea ofthe Empire's advantage.

http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/comparison/index.html

That chart is a load of balls. According to that a Romulan Warbird is bigger than DS9!

Star Wars ships do have shields too, but they are not at the same level as Trek shields as they don't extend in a bubble around the ship.

I reckon Trek tech is superior, but the numbers game would see the Empire through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Empire ships:

Fast interstellar travel, slower / less manoeuvrable at sub light speeds. This is probably due to their enormous size. Compensated for by the use of fighter craft.

They do have shields, whoever said they dont has never seen SW. And they do have cloaks - but whatever way the tech works it is limited to larger vessels.

The empires two main advantages are sheer numbers, and ground forces. They have all sorts of advanced artillery, small vehicles, and clone armies. I would also rank their hand weapons as superior to federation phasers.

Federation;

Far more manoeuvrable medium sized vessels. Though smaller attack vessels like runabouts and others do exist they are not commonly used.

Torpedo, something the empire doesnt seem to use.

The main advantage the fed has is replicators, transporters and superior sensors.

Thinking about it, Id liken the defiants battle with the alliance in the alternative DS9 reality to what it would be like for the federation to go up against the SW Empire.

Outnumbered and out gunned the fed's superior manoeuvrability and advanced torpedo and sensors could still win many battles; but Id prob go for the Empire to win an all out war.

That chart is a load of balls. According to that a Romulan Warbird is bigger than DS9!

Actually it's not, it just seems to overestimate the size of the D'deridex-class Warbird. It's length is listed as 1341 metres on the chart, but any source can find gives it's length as 1041 metres. But the Warbird was always described as being almost twice the size of Galaxy class Starship.

And anyway, just look at the comparison in size between a Galaxy class ship and an Imperial class Star Destroyer. The Galaxy class is dwarfed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

anyone else thinking Borg vs Wookies?

Advertisement