Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ford mk 6

• 13-01-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

anybody aware of this ford mk 6 irish armoured car

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Gunny Hartman

If I'm not mistaken there might be one knocking around the workshops in The Curragh other than that I don't know anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I suspect that's an old photo, eighties perhaps? I cannot see a historic item like that left to rot given the current interest in old military vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dobkfz

I suspect that's an old photo, eighties perhaps? I cannot see a historic item like that left to rot given the current interest in old military vehicles.
    ""the photo was taking in the uk 2006""
    i have to say i would be very surprized if it is still there, i dont think the uk guys would be interested in restoration an x irish armoured car but im sure they would want the ford chassis , also im sure irish military clubs do have some contact with uk clubs and this has me woundering how come its still there in 2006 i spoke to the guy who took the photo he said he took the photo in october 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

2006, well that's interesting. I'm sure it would be of interest to an Irish collector. There can't be too many left in existence. Wasn't there less than fifty made and some were left in the Congo?

16 of the mk 6s went to auction in the early 70s 3 went to GB from that auction (karl martins book) it could be any of the 16, i have more info on the imo web site (irish military online) please keep in mind lads this car may already be gone but have a look at this map were she is,,,, look at the wrighting on the end of the page (google map data 2009)

• Advertisement

i just zoomed in on the map so that you could read it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'm guessing that's probably just copyright info rather than when the photos were taken, but they were definitely taken in the last 2 or 3 years.

you maybe right about the google map date im not sure, i rang a member of the MVCI on thursday he knew nothing about it but would make some phone calls to other members, i left my number with him i heard nothing back, weather its there or not i did my bit anyway

the guy who took the photo in 2006 called down last thursday 21,01,10 and she's gone, only taking away in the past fue years (according to him), he spoke to the local farmer and according to him it was taking away by the british army and was scraped, there was a lot of other military stuf in the field aswell, the car was in wales near were the (grange cavern museum was), i did get an email to say that she was taking away more than 2 years ago and it is now in ireland as a restoration project....!! nice to think she mite appear someware in the future..this is the link that i seen.....http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1103842

• Advertisement

dobkfz wrote: »
    16 of the mk 6s went to auction in the early 70s 3 went to GB from that auction (karl martins book) it could be any of the 16 please keep in mind lads this car may already be gone but have a look at this map were she is,,,, look at the wrighting on the end of the page (google map data 2009)

almost restored

http://www.waryearsremembered.co.uk/home/WarYearsRememberedBringingHistorytoLife.htm29.htm

Advertisement