Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Malaga! Anybody been there?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Well Lads,

Thinking of booking a week away just before leagues start for nice week of training in the sun and have the use of an appartment near Malaga. Anybody ever been down there with the bike??

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Well for u Dave. I always prefer to arrive rather than depart in Malaga mainly because its downhill. Options along the coast are not great due to traffic. Towards Caditz the coast road is a disaster. Towards Nerja is good, up to Frigilliana ( of Christy Moore fame), Competa and back accross mountains to Malaga. lots of great routes. A bus trip with the bike to Antiquera it's about 40 K and spin up to El Tocal is memorable. Alora and Ronda areas are great. Once you get up into the surronnding mountains the cycling is great. Very good bike shops are Bici Sports in Puerto de Torres Malaga and another in Torremolinas.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Sean02 wrote: »
    Well for u Dave. I always prefer to arrive rather than depart in Malaga mainly because its downhill. Options along the coast are not great due to traffic. Towards Caditz the coast road is a disaster. Towards Nerja is good, up to Frigilliana ( of Christy Moore fame), Competa and back accross mountains to Malaga. lots of great routes. A bus trip with the bike to Antiquera it's about 40 K and spin up to El Tocal is memorable. Alora and Ronda areas are great. Once you get up into the surronnding mountains the cycling is great. Very good bike shops are Bici Sports in Puerto de Torres Malaga and another in Torremolinas.

Thanks for that Sean. We'll look these places up on the map!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Dave11 wrote: »
    Well Lads,

Thinking of booking a week away just before leagues start for nice week of training in the sun and have the use of an appartment near Malaga. Anybody ever been down there with the bike??

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Id this last year. We stayed in Nerja and I can tell you the roads over there are fantastic. From Nerja to Frihilliana and on to Competa is a great spin. If you have a garmin, i can send you the route. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A lot of good cycling in the Sierra Nevada, we were there last year based in Cadiar. Not too far away but mountainous so could take you a while to get to. Could be an option if you have a car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Thanks for all the replies lads.

The appartment I have is on the outskirts of Torremolinos (the quiet part) so i'll be based there and heading out in morning. Herself is coming as well and is just new to the bike so will do short afternoon spin with her as well. It will be all go... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement