Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter Tyres... and wheels

Options
  • 07-01-2010 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    With the conditions as they are and me needing to do a few hundred miles driving in them, I'm thinking to get some winter tyres. I'd prefer not to have the hassle of having to replace the tyres on the wheels at the moment so was thinking it would be just as handy to get 4 spare wheels and just get the winter tyres on them and change when I see fit myself.

Where would I get 4 wheels though? Do used wheels have the same precautions as used tyres or would they be grand if I found a set that alloys replaced or the likes. Just want something to stick the winter tyres on that I can store till they are needed again.

Would I need balancing/alignment done after fitting 4 new tyres I wonder?

I need 175/70/R14 first of all anyway. Should I change back to summer tyres at the first sign of thaw, or wait a few weeks using the winter tyres just incase the odd day comes with a chill? Is it bad to drive on winters in non icy temps?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

cormie wrote: »
    Would I need balancing/alignment done after fitting 4 new tyres I wonder?
    The balance is a property of the wheel - whenever a new tyre is fitted to a wheel, the wheel will need to be rebalanced. It should stay balanced, whether it is fitted to the car or not.

Alignment is a property of the car. Provided that the winter tyres are the same size as the summer ones, they shouldn't influence the alignment.
    Should I change back to summer tyres at the first sign of thaw, or wait a few weeks using the winter tyres just incase the odd day comes with a chill? Is it bad to drive on winters in non icy temps?
    Winter tyres are more effective than summer tyres up to 5-7 degrees. I'd say leave them on until daytime temps climb a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks very much for the input! That's all good news anyway :)

I've had a quick scan of adverts.ie and there's quite a few sets of wheels on offer, only a few 14" ones though. Should I only be looking for 14" and how can I tell what PCD I should look for (which I think is the stud distance for the nuts?).

Wouldn't mind just picking up any 4 rims as long as they fit the same and just getting winter tyres on them :)

Would this set do? http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=174712&cat=45

Or would a 15" set do or how does it work? Does it need to be the same height and that too, or is it just the R14, I need to match with 14" wheels I wonder?

:o

Also just wondering, would winter tyres be the same worldwide? They all have the little spikes for better grip? I know in Lithuania it's against the law to not have winter tyres fitted for the winter months. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What kind of car is it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Also just wondering, would winter tyres be the same worldwide? They all have the little spikes for better grip? I know in Lithuania it's against the law to not have winter tyres fitted for the winter months. ;)

Winter Tyres don't have spikes on them, think your thinking of special tyres for driving on ice.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies :)

It's for an 04 Opel Astra 1.7 DTI Van.

The Lithuanian I was speaking to said that the tyres they are required to have for a few months of Winter have little spikes (or studs maybe?) to help grip the roads..

What do Winter tyres typically have that are different from Summer tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Thanks for the replies :)

It's for an 04 Opel Astra 1.7 DTI Van.

The Lithuanian I was speaking to said that the tyres they are required to have for a few months of Winter have little spikes (or studs maybe?) to help grip the roads..

What do Winter tyres typically have that are different from Summer tyres?

Different compound, better in low temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Winter tyres are a different compound that doesn't stiffen in cold, as summer tyres do.
    They also have studs or better grip surface.

Magnus wrote: »
    They also have studs or better grip surface.

That's probably what she was talking about, just the studs/better grip, as opposed to spikes :)

I've used tyres4less.ie before, they are connected with discount tyres in Rosemount business park who I bough transit tyres off before at a decent enough price. Wouldn't have a clue which set to go for though, if anyone could advise that'd be great.

Also, does anyone know about the wheel rims I'd need? Would 14" be ok or would they have to be a specific 14"? Is the Diameter and the stud distance the only factor?

• Advertisement

Michelin X-ICE should do the trick. You can use these on dry roads too for some time.
    Reviews http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Michelin_X_Ice_Tire_44824139

You can probably buy steel wheels with them so all you have to do is to swap over and keep the summer tyres with alloys in the shed.

Thanks for the suggestion :) Considering I'll be using these for the kind of conditions we have at the moment and could just swap back myself when the weather improves, should I go for studded ones I wonder or just regular winter tyres? Would the studded ones have the same difference as shown in the video to the regular winter tyres or where would the non studded ones come in relation to that video I wonder in a studded vs non studded winter tyre one :o

Studs are really for extreme weather, not like what you're having in the east now. The tyres I mentioned above, or similar, should suffice for normal driving on icy/snowy roads in a normal car.
    Studded ones are used in Sweden and such places with snow and ice covering the road inches thick. And even then Michelin X-Ice 2 is supposed to be as good as studded tyres.

Thanks again for the help :)

I just rang Discount Tyres and they said they don't stock any winter tyres:eek: They said nowhere really in Ireland stock them so if anyone knows anywhere to get a set, especially the Michellens, please share as I'd be interested in getting them fairly lively :)

Still not sure about the wheels themselves either, will any 14" set of rims do or do you need rims that match the 175/70 part of the tyre too I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Thanks again for the help :)

I just rang Discount Tyres and they said they don't stock any winter tyres:eek: They said nowhere really in Ireland stock them so if anyone knows anywhere to get a set, especially the Michellens, please share as I'd be interested in getting them fairly lively :)

Still not sure about the wheels themselves either, will any 14" set of rims do or do you need rims that match the 175/70 part of the tyre too I wonder?
    camskill.co.uk stock winter tyres afair, and ship overnight to Ireland for the right price.

More than you need to know about wheels here: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Have seen some good things about the Michelin X-ICE since they've been mentioned here so I might try and get them. Can't find any stockist online at the moment with them so I'll have to ring around and see what happens. I think these would be a good one to go for considering they don't have the metal studs but have a great alternative in the way they are made and may even suit our conditions better here.

Had a read of that page and it's quite a lot to take in :eek: but I think the main points were as long as the radius of the wheel and of the centre of the circles and then of the centre circle match, it should be ok... I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

damn guys, dont go crazy on tyres with studs...

i am from lithuania originally, and we have really bad winters, what you have hear is nothing...

by law we have to have winter tyres, but there are few types of tyres you can use.

1. pure winter tyres with studs, very good for icy roads. ( not suitable for here, becouse you have only small bit of ice or snow, it would be idiotic to put such tyres here, just becouse of the few days. You damaginf road with these tyres, noisy as hell aswell.

2. winter tyres, with no studs ( if you really whant a winter tyres in ireland you better of with these)

3. Semi season tyres ( they are summer/winter tyres. they wount be as good as pure winter or summer tyres, but they would do great in such conditions... you can use them all year around aswell ;) )

Its actually so funny to see some irish people getting lost in snow and ice... :rolleyes: I just can imagine if a few of them would be dropped of in to lithuania in -25'. Good old ice covered in snow... you dont even know what to expect from it :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Have seen some good things about the Michelin X-ICE since they've been mentioned here so I might try and get them. Can't find any stockist online at the moment with them so I'll have to ring around and see what happens. I think these would be a good one to go for considering they don't have the metal studs but have a great alternative in the way they are made and may even suit our conditions better here.

Had a read of that page and it's quite a lot to take in :eek: but I think the main points were as long as the radius of the wheel and of the centre of the circles and then of the centre circle match, it should be ok... I hope :)

Remember having Winter Tyres will result in increased fuel consumption also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'm using these and I'm based in Rathdrum I've been driving about with no issues at all even during the really bad snowfall. We have some serious hills here as the place is in a valley up and down on each side..

Driving a FWD car

Continental WinterContact TS 790 205/55 R16 91H with raised rim rib

craichoe wrote: »
    Remember having Winter Tyres will result in increased fuel consumption also.

How ? I'm actually seeing an improvement in consumption.

• Advertisement

damn guys, dont go crazy on tyres with studs...

i am from lithuania originally, and we have really bad winters, what you have hear is nothing...

by law we have to have winter tyres, but there are few types of tyres you can use.

1. pure winter tyres with studs, very good for icy roads. ( not suitable for here, becouse you have only small bit of ice or snow, it would be idiotic to put such tyres here, just becouse of the few days. You damaginf road with these tyres, noisy as hell aswell.

2. winter tyres, with no studs ( if you really whant a winter tyres in ireland you better of with these)

3. Semi season tyres ( they are summer/winter tyres. they wount be as good as pure winter or summer tyres, but they would do great in such conditions... you can use them all year around aswell ;) )

Its actually so funny to see some irish people getting lost in snow and ice... :rolleyes: I just can imagine if a few of them would be dropped of in to lithuania in -25'. Good old ice covered in snow... you dont even know what to expect from it :D.
    Labass :P

I know what you're saying alright but as my business is transport and I'm on tight schedules the investment of a winter tyre is sound to avoid any delays and minimise risk of sliding etc.

I think the stud ones would be overkill for here alright so I'm going to try and source the Michelin X-ICE, they sounds like a great solution for what I'm after.

If you're going back to Lithuania any time soon, get me some honey please, nicest honey I've ever had :P

ikiiki!

Labass :P

I know what you're saying alright but as my business is transport and I'm on tight schedules the investment of a winter tyre is sound to avoid any delays and minimise risk of sliding etc.

I think the stud ones would be overkill for here alright so I'm going to try and source the Michelin X-ICE, they sounds like a great solution for what I'm after.

If you're going back to Lithuania any time soon, get me some honey please, nicest honey I've ever had :P

ikiiki!
    hehe labas bud ;)

spike ones will be overkill m8 you right, trust me, some people dont even like to use them back in lithuania aswell. get nice winter rubber and you will be sorted ;)

Havet been in lithuania for 5 years now, so no honey :(. I would kill for a jar of it myself :p.

Haha :) yeah, I think I'll just try source some Michelin X-ICE and they should do the trick I'm sure!

Thanks for the input!

Haha :) yeah, I think I'll just try source some Michelin X-ICE and they should do the trick I'm sure!

Thanks for the input!

np bud.

OMG someone did the thread on chains now lol! Even in our conditions no one used them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'm using these and I'm based in Rathdrum I've been driving about with no issues at all even during the really bad snowfall. We have some serious hills here as the place is in a valley up and down on each side..

Driving a FWD car

Continental WinterContact TS 790 205/55 R16 91H with raised rim rib

These Continentals are the mutts nutts as far as winter tyres are concerned. I'm also in Wicklow (near Blessington) and I've used them. They are excellent for present conditions. I'd also recommend Goodyear ultra grip 7+ which are, as far as i know, slightly cheaper than the Continentals.

E

The same continentals are 67eur for R14's. I wonder how they would compare to the Michelin X-ICE I've been looking to get..

They are excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Try Lucan Pitstop Services - very helpful and decent prices

28 Hills Industrial Estate
    Lucan,Co.dublin
    Ireland
    Telephone: 01 6100359

I've been on the hunt for a set of tyres myself this week and its astonishing how
    (a) the majority of Irish tyre retailers insist that summer tyres will do just fine regardless of the conditions
    (b) a large proportion of the same retailers seem to believe that brands like Sunny are as good as premium brands, even though I was looking for 215/45 17 tyres so they might have suspected that the tyres were going on a car that might require a decent bit of grip.

Lucan Pitstop Services were willing to listen to what I wanted and the price was more or less the same as the equivalent up North. Eiretyres & Camskill were no better pricewise for the ones I had in mind once you factor in fitting etc.

Gave them a ring, sounded like a nice helpful guy but they don't have any either :(

He said his supplier isn't interested in getting them to him even!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Modern Tyre Service in Newry have/can get Vredestein Wintracs but you probably need the Vredestein Comtrac (winter tyre for vans/light trucks). If they don't have them they can tell you which of their branches has them in stock

Edit: Comtrac/Snowtrac will do. Have a look at the Quatrac which is all season

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandgroepen.asp?UserSessionID=19268000&BandgroepID=6

Advertisement