Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Short hail shower here now, very short mind you!

Just getting hail shower now.

ok, so that was the sh:(ortest hail shower in history...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The missus just went out to the back garden for a cigarette and it's very very cold out there, she is shaking and the cold that came in the doors from the back would have you shaking with the cold, it's nasty cutting cold out there!.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Snow shower of sorts in Kiltipper Tallaght at the moment, very slight 1 minute heavy the next, seems to be 100% snow no hail or rain mixed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's been some occasional hail or rain here this evening. I still have yet to bear witness to some nice snowflakes. Seems quite cold out, and I hope the hailstones don't melt too much on footpaths or roads before the night goes on. It's easier to walk on unfrozen hailstones than it is on slush... Believe me, my ass and back have felt it this evening.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

I Have had very short bursts of pure powder snow here every few minutes, only about 30 seconds long though! :D

Dan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There's been some occasional hail or rain here this evening. I still have yet to bear witness to some nice snowflakes. Seems quite cold out, and I hope the hailstones don't melt too much on footpaths or roads before the night goes on. It's easier to walk on unfrozen hailstones than it is on slush... Believe me, my ass and back have felt it this evening.:o

I nearly suffered the same faith myself this evening , but it was frozen snow and I ice on one of them little rampsinclines that come down off the footpath instead of a curb, which prompted me to walk back to the Jeep like John Wanye on his tippy toes !

Nearly went 4 times in 30 yards :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

snow plow wrote: »
    I Have had very short bursts of pure powder snow here every few minutes, only about 30 seconds long though! :D

Dan

As Weathercheck said , there could be a few showers that start to bubble up from the Irish Sea.

Hopefully this is just the beginning :D

100664.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

snow falling .... some entertainment for my insomnia :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've underlined in the boards.ie forecast thread my concern that, however people may find today and Monday, the weather will become truly severe across much of the country on Tuesday and continue that way for the rest of the week, as the cold deepens and a stronger more organized northeast flow develops. In fact, I would advise people who need to stock up or prepare to get it done Monday if possible, because more isolated areas and higher rural areas could find it really difficult to get around once a bit more snow falls and temperatures fall several more degrees (especially daytime).

These things sometimes get downgraded, but in this flow pattern, a spell of more severe cold seems inevitable. Weather buffs will realize that the appearance of the 516 dm thickness contour rippling across the UK towards Ireland means severe cold in the UK and plenty of snow in eastern counties there, which can only add to the potential for cold (and indirectly snow) in Ireland as the flow chills further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Could we finally be heading for the event that makes this cold spell one of the more memorable ones this tuesday ? Even if it doesn't snow it's gonna be bloody cold out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Its with great pleasure and glee that I can report some rogue snow flakes falling in Waterford !!!!:D The start of many more I hope !!!!!! The famine ends!!:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met E forecast for tomorrow:

Generally dry tomorrow morning, but outbreaks of rain will spread from the north during the day. :o

Outlook:

The cold weather will continue through the rest of next week with further severe frosts and low daytime temperatures. On Monday night wintry showers, which will be mostly snow, will affect many parts of the country, but especially Ulster and the northern parts of Leinster and Connacht. Northerly winds set in during Tuesday and although many places will be dry and bright during the day, Ulster and North Connacht will again be affected by wintry showers. As the winds turn northeasterly on Wednesday the east of the country will be more affected by the showers than elsewhere. But there is also the possibility of more widespread snow during Thursday as well. Most of the showers disappear for next weekend but the days and nights stay as cold as ever. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just heard the Eagle on radio - he said it would stay very cold but no sign of anything significant this week other than a couple of cms of snow on the ground. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just heard the Eagle on radio - he said it would stay very cold but no sign of anything significant this week other than a couple of cms of snow on the ground. :(

Yep very cold but the lack of precip is seriously wrecking my head.
    Tuesday does not look wonderful,with any precip quickly fragmenting as it pushes south.
    Showers off the irish sea are a sad affair for anything worth talking about further inland.maybe they'll gain intensity midweek or maybe not
    Oh dear it could be another one of these if only scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Did Dublin get snow?
    There's a light dusting here in Trim.

spadder wrote: »
    Did Dublin get snow?
    There's a light dusting here in Trim.

Not here anyway - just a few light graupel showers (which melted as temp is 2.5c).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Nothing in Celbridge, more thaw overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

baraca wrote: »
    Could we finally be heading for the event that makes this cold spell one of the more memorable ones this tuesday ? Even if it doesn't snow it's gonna be bloody cold out there!

Only have it taken away by the Atlantic like whats happened yesterday/ Lowest temp for me last night was -1.1c. We had a high here yesterday of 4.9c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mild near the coast
    Cloudy 3.8C/-0.6C

Overnight min (after 8pm)3.6C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The snow potential seems downgraded to me - yet again, now it is put back to Thursday,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

baraca wrote: »
    I think it has already reached that status of 'more memorable'.
    To be fair theres not many of these long cold spells in my memory anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The snow potential seems downgraded to me - yet again, now it is put back to Thursday,

MT is still forecasting heavy snow showers(5-15cm), for the north and east at least, on Tuesday, and more heavy snow showers for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Good Morning Everyone :)

I certainly wouldn't be prepared to make a forecast for snowfall distribution & amounts for the whole week ahead. Now, it's not that it could well end up being correct, however there are so many variables in the mix. In addition, there may well be surprise snowfalls in such an unstable northeasterly flow.

For example, the 00Z UKMO output has a frontal trough, bringing snowfall, moving down across the country, from 01.00 Hours on Tuesday & during Tuesday itself:

UW48-594.GIF?03-06

It also develops rather heavy snow showers into Eastern & Southeastern areas from 01.00 Hours on Wednesday of next week.

UW72-594.GIF?03-06

This is but one run & therefore should not be taken in isolation. Therefore, the ECMWF 00Z run should be considered. Again, it clearly models the frontal trough moving south on Tuesday, which will almost certainly offer very decent snowfall potential for Northern areas & as demonstrated on the 00Z UKMO, could well remain relatively intact as it moves south, especially in areas nearer to Western & Eastern coasts.

T+72 - ECMWF 00Z - Snowfall Risk into the East & Southeast

100103_0000_72.png

Further Outlook

ECMWF 00Z

Overnight, the NWP guidance maintains very cold conditions until T+120 (Day 5) at least. There is strong support for a renewed Easterly flow towards the end of the week. However, there is uncertainty surrounding it's intensity. For example, it be somewhat slacker as shown on the ECMWF 00Z Guidance, but still with very cold upper air over the country - 850mb Temperatures of -8 and below. However, I wouldn't be too certain upon the ECMWF 00Z evolution as it was a clear Operational outlier for De Bilt, Holland - to our East. This is important because it is from that region that any further Easterly flow will be sourced:

http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/vijftiendaagse/index.html

UKMO 00Z

Meanwhile, UKMO 00Z has a keen Easterly flow continuing at T+120, with pressure remaining High to our variable North. It also has an even stronger Easterly flow developing between T+120 and T+144, backing slightly Northeasterly with time.

GFS 00Z

The evolution is rather more similar to that of UKMO 00Z than ECMWF 00Z. Very cold Northeasterly winds persist until late on Wednesday & early Thursday. It also has a renewed Easterly flow developing between T+120 & T+144 with a large blocking High over Scandinavia - that continues to build and back Westwards, very similar to that of the UKMO evolution.

Summary

In summary then, remaining bitterly cold for this coming week. There is a risk of snowfall from later on Monday through to late on Wednesday in particular, as described above. Amounts & distribution are still very uncertain & it's best to follow the Hi-Res Model guidance from T+24 when dealing with snowfall potential. Towards Thursday, conditions may become much slacker but still extremely cold as shown on ECMWF 00Z, with a light Easterly flow. However, it is quite possible, at least 60%, that a fairly potent Easterly flow will continue towards the end of the week with High Pressure over Scandinavia. The cold will be potent, the strength of the flow is uncertain.

In essence, at least 60% confidence of cold to at times bitterly cold conditions persisting to Day 6, with the risk of snowfall at times.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A chilly wind is blowing in Limerick - wrap up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

why are the metie foreasting rain for ulster tomorrow instead of snow i thought we were gettig snow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

owenc wrote: »
    why are the metie foreasting rain for ulster tomorrow instead of snow i thought we were gettig snow....

They must be factoring in the 'relatively' milder maritime influence that the front would pick up - i.e slightly higher temps and DP's = rain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

They must be factoring in the 'relatively' milder maritime influence that the front would pick up - i.e slightly higher temps and DP's = rain.

ugh so we ar going to get the same crap that we got on saturday!
    ugh well at least im better prepared!:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement