Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

What no Cliff Richard fans our there???

My favorites are Stop the Cavalry and Driving Home for Christmas:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
    Bruce - Santa Claus is coming to town
    Slade - Merry Christmas everybody
    Ronettes - I Saw Mommy kissing Santa
    Wham - Last Christmas
    Mel & Kim - Rocking around the Christmas Tree

But especially The Waitresses :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fairytale of new york and let it snow by dean martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Trixabell

Hey, I love Christmas FM - have it on all the time in the car (and the odd sneaky time in the office too!) - my all time fave chrimbo song would be U2 Merry Xmas (Baby please come home) - the only problem is when Christmas FM tend to play this song they play the rubbish Bon Jovi version which is pants! Ronan, can you spread the word to the DJ's on Christmas FM to play the U2 version more often than pants Bon Jovi one! Other than that I love the station and especially love the morning brekie show with Keith Shanley, he's brilliant - he'd put you in good form driving into work.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My favourites are, in no particular order:

Lonely Pup in a Christmas Shop - Adam Faith
    Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
    Merry Christmas Everyone - Slade
    In Dulci Jubilo - Mike Oldfield
    Step into Christmas - Elton John
    I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake
    Don't Let The Bells End - The Darkness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ChristmasFM (Ronan)

Hi All,

Thanks for the input, we need to tidy this down to a top 5 or top 10 to put on air, and put in order. Definitely the Darkness, Nat king cole, Slade and Wizzard keep featuring - Anyone care to help put them in order?

With regard to the question about reading out texts but not playing the songs, we really are doing are best. The presenters try to read as many texts as possible so people know we are listening to them, but there is so many coming in we can't read or act on all of them - we do really appreciate every text though. However to stop the station being massively repetitive causing people to tune out there's a few rules stopping songs being played more than once a show so that's why there's requests for the most popular songs read out and not immediately played.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Ronan. I'll go through the songs now and get you your top 10//5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Trixabell

Ronan, what is the text line for the daily mail Christmas message thingy that is being published for this wednesday's paper? Theres a gang of us in work dying to get our messages in for that but despite sending texts into the station we still are none the wiser (Noel announced the message during his show but said he's announce it later!!! ) :confused:

We wanna get the messages in soon before the closing time, but we cant access the Christmas FM website in work and the friggin Daily mail is sold out in the shop next to our office, so we're clueless! Can you send on the number and instructions asap. Thanks! :)

So, by mentions in this thread we have

Merry Christmas Everybody - Slade [IIII]
    Driving Home For Christmas. [IIII]
    I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake [III]
    Fairy Tale of New York.[III]
    Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie![III]
    The Darkness- "Don't let the bells ring" [III]
    Little Drummer boy by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. [III]

John Lennon- War is Over [II]
    Let it snow-Dean Martin [II]
    Walkin' in a winter wonderland [II]
    David Essex, A Winters Tale [II]
    I wish it could be christmas every day - Wizzard [II]
    The Christmas Song- Nat King Cole [II]
    Dan Fogleberg - Same old Lang Syne. [II]
    Step into Christmas - Elton John [II]
    U2- Baby Please come home [II]

White Christmas by Bing Crosby
    All I want for Christmas is You- Mariah Carey
    Merry Christmas Everyone- Shakin' Stevens
    The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
    Bruce - Santa Claus is coming to town
    Ronettes - I Saw Mommy kissing Santa
    Wham - Last Christmas
    Mel & Kim - Rocking around the Christmas Tree
    White Christmas- Bing Crosby
    Leon RedBone and Zooey Deschanel (Baby Its Cold Outside)
    Lonely Pup in a Christmas Shop - Adam Faith
    In Dulci Jubilo - Mike Oldfield
    Frankie goes to Hollywood- The Power of Love.
    Walking in the air - Aled Jones oh holy night

As you can see, there are quite a lot of "joint" positions. May I suggest I trawl through our other christmas music thread and include the results from there, as that was a slightly more active thread and would give a more rounded view of boards.ie's favourite christmas songs?

EDIT: Any other posts in here will be added to the list, cause I'm awesome like that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

U2 - "Baby, Please Come Home"

The version by Death Cab For Cutie isn't bad also.. certainly better than the Bon Jovi version.

Trixabell wrote: »
    Ronan, what is the text line for the daily mail Christmas message thingy that is being published for this wednesday's paper? Theres a gang of us in work dying to get our messages in for that but despite sending texts into the station we still are none the wiser (Noel announced the message during his show but said he's announce it later!!! ) :confused:

We wanna get the messages in soon before the closing time, but we cant access the Christmas FM website in work and the friggin Daily mail is sold out in the shop next to our office, so we're clueless! Can you send on the number and instructions asap. Thanks! :)

Hi Trixabell,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, Internet connection at home died.

[FONT=&quot]The Irish Daily Mail textline to have your Christmas message for loved ones included in the paper on Wednesday is 57000 followed by a space and then message. Test costs 1 euro and profits in aid of Simon Communities. Network charges apply.[/FONT]

It's getting too close now, I'd just say run with what I have bold-ed there and make up the ten from whatever from the 2s :)

Thanks Dark Onion,

Will email that to the station manager now and post when its going to be on as soon as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've sent in at least 30 euro worth of texts and not once have I heard The Fairytale Of New York.

Well worth the good cause though. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLAY IT SOON.

I could YouTube it but there's something magical about hearing it on the radio knowing that thousands more are listening to it too...... Is that a bit sad? Maybe.

I'm actually gonna send 4 or 5 texts in now saying "That Guy from boards.ie wants to hear The Fairy Tale Of New York"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Seriously!? they play it like every 2 hours. lol actually it's on now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

CombatCow wrote: »
    Seriously!? they play it like every 2 hours. lol actually it's on now :pac:

Fcuking missed it again. Grr.

Don't worry that guy, it'll be on again. We'll have it on the boards.ie run down, haven't forgot about that. We'll do it either tomorrow evening or most likely Sunday, waiting on the program director to add it in (which now that everyone is doing the family Christmas thing is causing the delay).

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've sent in at least 30 euro worth of texts and not once have I heard The Fairytale Of New York.

Well worth the good cause though. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLAY IT SOON.

I could YouTube it but there's something magical about hearing it on the radio knowing that thousands more are listening to it too...... Is that a bit sad? Maybe.

I'm actually gonna send 4 or 5 texts in now saying "That Guy from boards.ie wants to hear The Fairy Tale Of New York"

It's being played now, esp for you :)

Hey guys,

We'll be doing the boards.ie top 5 run down tomorrow (Monday) between 4pm and 5pm, presenter will be Garv Rigby.

Tomorrow is also our last day on air so i wanted to thank you all for tuning in.

• Advertisement

Thaks for another year of christmas fm, has been great fun listening to it. Hopefully it will be back again :)

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Damn I missed this last year. I am in Limerick though so will I be able to pick the channel up this year (if it's on)? Or can only those in Dublin and Cork get it?

You can listen on line from anywhere.

You can listen on line from anywhere.
    Yes you're quite right but I meant for normal radios when I'm away from the pc and I don't have an internet radio.

VanZan wrote: »
    Yes you're quite right but I meant for normal radios when I'm away from the pc and I don't have an internet radio.

Oh, in that case I don't know. Was great to listen too to get in the festive mood.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

We're planning on transmitting on 4 temporary licenses this year, its still in development so fingers crossed. Dublin, Wicklow, Cork and Galway.

No plans for limerick unfortunately, but depending on where the signal transmits from you might get it on the Galway side of limerick.

Thanks for the interest guys, means a lot to us all that were not the only one thinking about Christmas in the middle of the summer. :)

We're planning on transmitting on 4 temporary licenses this year, its still in development so fingers crossed. Dublin, Wicklow, Cork and Galway.

No plans for limerick unfortunately, but depending on where the signal transmits from you might get it on the Galway side of limerick.

Thanks for the interest guys, means a lot to us all that were not the only one thinking about Christmas in the middle of the summer. :)
    Guess I'll just have to wait and see if I can tune it in come December or finally buy an internet radio!

Ah, I'd completely forgotten about this! I had this playing most of last year, twas fantastic. Hope Clare gets hit by some of those magic radio waves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

The signal can be pretty weak in Meath - will it be better this year?
    You guys have made my Christmas for the last two years!:)

• Advertisement

Only 137 Days!!!!!! :eek: :D

Advertisement