Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venomous dino found

Options
  • 22-12-2009 2:30pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8425200.stm

"A bird-like dinosaur that prowled an ancient forest 125 million years ago used venom to subdue its prey, according to a new theory.

Sinornithosaurus's upper teeth resemble those of "rear-fanged" snakes which bite their prey and channel venom into the wound.

The dinosaur probably fed on the abundant birds which inhabited what is now north-east China.

The work appears in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal. "

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Read about this in the paper while at work today (was hoping someone would report it here to save me some time). Thank you Mr. Wibbs.
    Somewhat annoyingly, the article linked in the OP fails to mention that there are apparent venom sacks in Sinornithosaurus' skull above the teeth, as can be seen in the image below.
    _46970095_dino466nas.jpg

I always thought Sinornithosaurus was an odd one. While it had the famous 'raptor' claw, it was much smaller than in other similar sized relatives. I guess having venom negated the need for particularly large claws.

prod-04-l.jpg
    Image by Jason Brougham

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Also saved me a job, this is an awesome find. Looking at the skull (and squinting a tiny bit) it could almost be a multi-fanged snake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reminds me of the David Caradine film Q the winged Serpent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

In addition to birds, the raptor-like dinosaur also hunted pterosaurs, lizards, mammals and other dinosaurs, the scientists said.

It was quite the little hunter.

Kind of like a flying snake (that looks nothing like a snake)

Jako8 wrote: »
    It was quite the little hunter.

Kind of like a flying snake (that looks nothing like a snake)

...and doesn't fly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Galvasean wrote: »
    ...and doesn't fly?

and that :p

Kind of cool how Michael Crichton wrote of venomous compies and Dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park. Hmm, makes you wonder if Sinornithosaurus would be a useful addition to Jurassic Park 4.

Now why did this not make the papers?

Venom theory more or less discredited.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You killed my zombie dinosaur thread! :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Galvasean wrote: »
    Now why did this not make the papers?

Venom theory more or less discredited.
    Gong and his peers try to make their case by arguing that since venom glands evolved among lizards and snakes, it might be possible that venom could have evolved among archosaurs (the larger group to which dinosaurs belong, as well as crocodiles and pterosaurs),
    The Platypus and shrew are venomous mammals, and shrews use groves in the teeth too

• Advertisement
Advertisement