Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young people! What do you want to read about?!

Options
  • 17-12-2009 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hello folks!

Editor of the school magazine (but it's not school focused, just being done through school) and I want to know what do you want to read about?

As young people in Ireland today what affects you that you'd like journalists to investigate and write about?

Thanks in advance for the inspiration :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Well, if you have some saucy articles and boobs you'll sell loads. :)

Alternatively, you could go with silly quizes and celebrity articles, the 13/14 year old girls love that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't want to read some silly article about any of the following:
    X-Factor
    The horrors of drugs or alcohol or underage sex*
    The environment

What I would like to read is somethiing about local bands maybe? Or a local group making a film, or something along those lines.

I can't really think of anything else...

*while these things are an issue in Ireland, there are sources everywhere telling us about these things. Frankly, I'm kinda sick of reading about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

jumpguy wrote: »

Alternatively, you could go with silly quizes and celebrity articles, the 13/14 year old girls love that ****e.

I'd rather a good magazine than sales from the 1st years.:p There was one 'silly quiz' submitted to me last year but I refused to let it in..
    Jay P wrote: »
    X-Factor
    The environment

What I would like to read is somethiing about local bands maybe? Or a local group making a film, or something along those lines.

I can't really think of anything else...

*while these things are an issue in Ireland, there are sources everywhere telling us about these things. Frankly, I'm kinda sick of reading about it.

Hmm film. Good idea! I'm covered with the whole bands thing... Well nothing written as of yet, but I know enough bands to get an interview whenever I want. ;) Should start on that actually...

Thanks for the feedback so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I'd rather a good magazine than sales from the 1st years.:p There was one 'silly quiz' submitted to me last year but I refused to let it in..

Hmm film. Good idea! I'm covered with the whole bands thing... Well nothing written as of yet, but I know enough bands to get an interview whenever I want. ;) Should start on that actually...

Thanks for the feedback so far!

This is a really popular online magazine for teenagers in the uk... www.readplatform.com
    It can be precocious but most of the time the articles are readable and funny.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Does someone here know you? Why are you still alive?!

Anywho, some decent video game reviews, or interesting internet stops would rope in the nerd crowd for you!

(/realises the irony of his shilling :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Wait a second..
    School magazines ACTUALLY exist !? :eek:

I always thought they were made up simply as a way to ask leaving cert questions

''Write an article for a school magazine in which you outline.......''

D4RK ONION wrote: »

Y'wha?

It's late and I'm after a stressful week. Please enlighten me if you wouldn't mind..

ciano1 wrote: »
    Wait a second..
    School magazines ACTUALLY exist !? :eek:

I always thought they were made up simply as a way to ask leaving cert questions

''Write an article for a school magazine in which you outline.......''

Heh heh! Nah there is the odd one out there..even a competition :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

D4RK ONION wrote: »

Anywho, some decent video game reviews, or interesting internet stops would rope in the nerd crowd for you!

(/realises the irony of his shilling :o)

I'd also like to know what you meant, do you think s/he's a rereg or something? I see nothing wrong with this thread, it's not as if s/he's publishing a national magazine and is looking for free market research.

I like reading shocking real life stories, the more outrageous the better.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Piste wrote: »
    I'd also like to know what you meant, do you think s/he's a rereg or something? I see nothing wrong with this thread, it's not as if s/he's publishing a national magazine and is looking for free market research.
    +1
    There's nothing wrong with this thread, as far as I can see.
    Piste wrote: »
    I like reading shocking real life stories, the more outrageous the better.

Isn't that what P.I. is for? :pac:

OP, maybe try to include a bit of creative writing if you know any writers in the school. A good jokes section could really add to it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

+1
    There's nothing wrong with this thread, as far as I can see.

Isn't that what P.I. is for? :pac:

OP, maybe try to include a bit of creative writing if you know any writers in the school. A good jokes section could really add to it as well.

What about a poetry section? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

You could do what my school did and make purchasing a copy compulsory :P

burgess1 wrote: »
    You could do what my school did and make purchasing a copy compulsory :P
    What a load of ****. That's not proper business at all. Infact, if I was a parent, unless the magazine was very cheap, I'd be quite angry. Especially in such times, that it'd be compulsory to buy a stupid school magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

What a load of ****. That's not proper business at all. Infact, if I was a parent, unless the magazine was very cheap, I'd be quite angry. Especially in such times, that it'd be compulsory to buy a stupid school magazine.
    It was €2. It could have been a lot cheaper if it wasn't in full colour on glossy paper with loads of blank white space.

burgess1 wrote: »
    It was €2. It could have been a lot cheaper if it wasn't in full colour on glossy paper with loads of blank white space.
    Shameful. Compulsory, what a laugh. Only in Ireland. I would refuse to buy it. I'd laugh in their face when they tell me "but it's compulsory to buy the school magazine".

Well I won't be forcing anyone to buy it...that's kind of not good. Everyone would just despise us then for taking their money.

But thank you for the feedback!

Now once I take, and hopefully pass, the Theory Test on Tuesday I can begin writing articles, and doling the articles I don't like sop much out to my friends.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Jay P wrote: »
    This, we read this Face Up magazine in religion and the amount of preachy 'abstinence ftw!' articles is unreal. So, um yeah, don't do that...

Advertisement