Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Birthdays

Options
  • 11-12-2009 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Anyone here who will be celebrating their birthday around or on Christmas Day or know anyone who is? What it like? Do you / they get more presents or what? How does it feel?

Like I mentioned elsewhere, my sister's Birthday is Christmas Day. So, I guess it keeps a little bit of the magic of Christmas Day there for me because we'll be cutting birthday cake the same day. She gets spoiled rotten from us and relatives as well in general. She is also the only person I buy presents for these days but I generally spend more or get her two things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My grandmother's birthday was on Christmas Day, and even when we were quite young we always made a point of buying her both a birthday and a Christmas present. Same for my father who has his birthday next week. Bit unfair if you only gave one present imo, it's not their fault when their birthday comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Don't have anyone close that celebrates a birthday around Christmas, although a good friend has a Jan 7th birthday, not bad considering.

Would hate my birthday to be in the days around Christmas, New Year would be ok, never really thought of the siblings of Christmas kids, but now that you bring it up, it's really suckie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

My daughter was born last Christmas eve, she is going to have it hard down the line. We'll make a big deal of her on xmas eve always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Orlaithc9

My daughter was born last St Stephens Day...pretty suckie for her two.
    Considering she will be only 1 this year we arent going over board but have gotten her something for Christmas and her birthday...we will make much more effort in years to come..possibly have a party a week before or a week after etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My birthday is today - 2 weeks before Christmas. I love it because it's close enough to Christmas that I have two celebrations for December, but far enough away so that it's not overshadowed and I still get two sets of presents! :D
    My Mam's birthday is the 16th, next Wednesday, which is also a good day to have it. Any closer to Christmas would be kinda bad imo as it would just get overshadowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Lots of birthdays this time of year!
    I have a godson and two friends at the end of November.
    My sister, best friends baby, and that best friend in the first two weeks of December.
    My dad and my brother are the 22nd, other best friend on the 23rd, my mother on the 24th, and two birthdays in the first few days of Jan.

Always mental this time of year.
    I make a point to get two separate presents, especially for younger ones because it's not fair that they get one 'lump' present when it's two different celebrations.

but yeah tis always odd because theyr'e so close to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

My birthday is today

happy_birthday_presents.gif
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 patfol

My daughter's birthday is in December. We get her a seperate birthday present but I do feel that Christmas overshadows the whole event. Actually my biggest problem with the birthday/xmas combo is the amount of presents that we accumulate. We've hardly found a place to store all the birthday presents when xmas comes along and we've got more presents to sort out.
    Given current financial situation, is anyone ever tempted to send out party invitations with a note attached saying "No presents please". Don't want to sound like the scrooge of birthdays but at the same time it's putting an awful financial pressure on parents and half the time the kids don't even have any meas on the presents they get. I suggested doing something like this to my daughter and she nearly lost her life. But seriously, between the price of the party. the expected party bags at the end of party, and the presents needed to attend party, I reckon our kids are spending relatively more of our disposable income than we are!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I've always thought that having them so close would suck. My neighbour has his birthday on the 21st, but he was always spoiled rotten, so he was never short for presents!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

my daughter's birthday is 21st - she usually does fine for presents but hates it when people wrap birthday pressie in christmas paper so she keeps out the christmas paper during the year and wraps their presents in it. Christmas wrapping in June - people always comment "eh, weird :confused: " but don't understand when she says but you wrapped mine in christmas paper last year :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

My birthday is Christmas Day and tbh, I hate it being that day. Can't even go for a pint with my mates cos no where is serving.

feylya wrote: »
    My birthday is Christmas Day and tbh, I hate it being that day. Can't even go for a pint with my mates cos no where is serving.
    Jesus, is it really you?!

Si.

Edit: Oh, you mean Jesus Christ. Ah, no, fraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

My birthday is christmas eve and I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Mines the 17th, as such it usually gets pretty much forgotten about. Suits me down to the ground actually, I never really bought into the whole Birthday celebration thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 num one

Mine is Christmas eve and I luv it altho the hangover Christmas day sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

OH's birthday is 28 December. I always have to have Christmas and birthday presents bought before Christmas and also Christmas and birthday cards.
    When she was younger, she used to be given presents and was told that they were for Christmas and birthday. She always hated this so I've always had to keep both seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

Mine is on 21st, i remember being jealous of kids having their birthdays in summer when i was younger but I like it now. It makes the whole month of december extra special cus i've double celebrations coming up. Never had a proper proper birthday party tho. I always get overly excited coming up to christmas, im such a christmas baby. I have to say tho my familys been very good and never tried to mix my b-day and christmas into one, they always had a special birthday celebration for me. :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Nicknax

My Birthday is the 25th, I get 2 sets of pressies. Only thing is, I could only have parties the week before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Nicknax wrote: »
    My Birthday is the 25th, I get 2 sets of pressies. Only thing is, I could only have parties the week before Christmas.

Jesus, that sucks !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

My birthday is New Year's Eve, I used to love it when I was younger, to me it seemed special to have a birthday on a day that was also something else.
    Through my teens I used to get really excited about it, because I figured that everyone is always out and celebrating, and in your teens, everyone you know ends up in the same place so it was one big party. That worked well for a while.
    The older I get the more I realise that no, the world is NOT spontaneously celebrating my birthday, and I'm now pretty tired having to remind people that the reason they are partying at all is because of ME, ME, ME!!!!!!
    Millennium Eve in Times Square was a good one though, I have to admit! :) apologies to OH for abandoning him

OH's birthday is also in December, 2 nieces in December too, one on Stephenseseseseses day. All she gets is boring aunts and uncles calling around on her birthday, laden with emergency petrol-station presents, repeating all the same family stuff that happened the day before. Poor mite.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

*sigh*
    My birthday is Christmas Day, I shall be 26 next Friday. Whoop-dee-friggin-doo.

I get presents for my birthday from my family, but because there's so many of us (7 kids + parents) we do kris kindle for the Christmas presents.

I don't expect friends to get me 2 presents because money's always tight this time of year. All in all Christmas sucks monkey balls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

My kids birthdays are New Years Eve and New Years Day - there's 7 years and one day between them (ye couldn't plan that if you tried!). They get spoiled by everybody on Christmas Day and then get spoiled all over again a week later! Christmas therefore is DOUBLY expensive for me!:eek:

*sigh*
    My birthday is Christmas Day, I shall be 26 next Friday. Whoop-dee-friggin-doo.

I hear that! 25/12/83 was a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

MEMEMEMEE!!

I'm Christmas day - also known as Orlamas day :)
    It's my father in law's bday on Christmas eve.

It does keep Christmas special - I'm 32 this year (eep!) and I'm still as excited about it as ever, and I drag everyone with me!

Orlamas makes a little more sense now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

olaola wrote: »
    I'm Christmas day - also known as Orlamas day :)

I always get "Happy Birthmas" in cards and on present tags from friends
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

What happens in april for so many christmas babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Paddy's day would have some December ish babies.
    Bad weather/powercuts/big sports things/so forth play a big part too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

My birthday is today - 2 weeks before Christmas. I love it because it's close enough to Christmas that I have two celebrations for December, but far enough away so that it's not overshadowed and I still get two sets of presents! :D
    My Mam's birthday is the 16th, next Wednesday, which is also a good day to have it. Any closer to Christmas would be kinda bad imo as it would just get overshadowed.

My Mam's birthday is the 16th too!

I also have a friends whose birthday is on Christmas day. She'd always have her party the week beforehand and get her birthday presents that day, instead of on Christmas day. Seemed to work for her because then she got to have two separate days of celebration instead of just one.
    And i'd say her siblings also preferred that because it means their Christmas isn't overshadowed by a birthday or vice versa.

Advertisement