Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uganda

• 08-12-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

This issue has been sort of running for a while now but I haven't seen it raised here, so I thought I'd link to this to raise some awareness :

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/12/08/uganda.anti.gay.bill/index.html
    As a gay man in Uganda, Frank Mugisha is used to the taunts, the slurs and the daily harassment of neighbors and friends.

But if a new bill proposed in the east African country becomes law, Mugisha could be put away for life, or worse, put to death for having sex with another man.
    The Anti-Homosexuality Bill features several provisions that human rights groups say would spur a witch hunt of homosexuals in the country:

Gays and lesbians convicted of having gay sex would be sentenced, at minimum, to life in prison

People who test positive for HIV may be executed

Homosexuals who have sex with a minor, or engage in homosexual sex more than once, may also receive the death penalty

The bill forbids the "promotion of homosexuality," which in effect bans organizations working in HIV and AIDS prevention

Anyone who knows of homosexual activity taking place but does not report it would risk up to three years in prison
    Homosexuality is already illegal in Uganda under colonial-era laws. But the bill, introduced in October, is intended to put more teeth into prosecuting violators.

It applies even to Ugandans participating in same-sex acts in countries where such behavior is legal.

"They are supposed to be brought back to Uganda and convicted here. The government is putting homosexuality on the level of treason," Mugisha said.
    It has the blessing of many religious leaders -- Muslim and Christian -- in a country where a July poll found 95 percent opposed to legalizing homosexuality.

The Rev. Esau Omara, a senior church leader, said over the weekend that any lawmaker opposing the bill will pay for it during the next election, according to local newspaper reports.

And a leading Muslim cleric, Sheikh Ramathan Shaban Mubajje, has called for gays to be rounded up and banished to an island until they die.
    In April, the Observer newspaper published tips to help readers spot homosexuals. And over the summer, the Red Pepper tabloid outed 45 gays and lesbians.

Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni has not publicly stated his position on the bill, but last month blamed foreign influence in promoting and funding homosexuality.
    In the United States, a coalition of Christian leaders released a statement Monday denouncing the bill.

"Regardless of the diverse theological views of our religious traditions regarding the morality of homosexuality, in our churches, communities and families, we seek to embrace our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters as God's children, worthy of respect and love," the statement read.

Human rights groups have called on Western nations to withhold aid from Uganda if the measure passes. About 40 percent of the country's budget comes from international aid.

"This draft bill is clearly an attempt to divide and weaken civil society by striking at one of its most marginalized groups," said Scott Long, director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights Program at the New York-based Human Rights Watch. "The government may be starting here, but who will be next?"

So...if this passes, how will Ireland respond? I note according to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs that we sent €44m in foreign aid to Uganda last year. It'd be also interesting to know the treatment of asylum cases here from countries like this wrt persecution on grounds of sexuality.

Anyway...yeah. It's really horrible to know that this kind of stuff still goes on.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

LookingFor wrote: »
    So...if this passes, how will Ireland respond?
    I'm sure a sternly worded letter will be in post.
    I note according to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs that we sent €44m in foreign aid to Uganda last year. It'd be also interesting to know the treatment of asylum cases here from countries like this wrt persecution on grounds of sexuality.
    Blocking aid to an impoverished people is hardly the way to win their support. Or do we only help those who have reach our level of enlightenment ?
    The Bush administration was rightly condemned when it sought to impose preconditions upon their aid packages; the Irish blocking aid would be no different.
    Anyway...yeah. It's really horrible to know that this kind of stuff still goes on.
    Its hardly surprising now is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

God when ya read that its horrible, i couldn imagine livin like that, im proud to be gay and im out to everyone, imagine wat it must be like to be too scared to be yourself incase you get killed. I know we're all hopin that we can equalize marraige here and get the equalities we deserve which is only right, but on hearin things like this goin on in other parts of the world, aint ya glad your irish and can at least LIVE your life without gettin the death penalty coz if we had a law like that id be six feet under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm sure a sternly worded letter will be in post.

:rolleyes:
    Blocking aid to an impoverished people is hardly the way to win their support.

I'd first say that my OP doesn't sway one way or the other on what should be done. I'm just pointing out the relationship we have with the country. My post didn't outline what I thought should be done, but was inviting a debate on it.

Here I will outline what I think about that, though: aid given to on-the-ground charities shouldn't be blocked. However money given directly to the Ugandan government? I think that might be another matter, and why I'd be interested to see how the aid we give is distributed. I wouldn't have any qualms about blocking financial support to a government that implements policies like this, if indeed we are sending aid to that government directly. What if that money is used to hire police that enforce these laws for example? Supporting a government that does this is no better than sending financial aid to Hitler's Nazi party. If we can leverage our financial support of these governments to make a point on what's acceptable we should.

I'll admit, though, that I simply don't know how this aid is divvied up. But stuff like this invites the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

nothing to do with our country.

big AIDS problem in Uganda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Uganda

woudlnt really blame them...(bit harsh alright though!)

Here I will outline what I think about that, though: aid given to on-the-ground charities shouldn't be blocked. However money given directly to the Ugandan government? I think that might be another matter, and why I'd be interested to see how the aid we give is distributed. I wouldn't have any qualms about blocking financial support to a government that implements policies like this, if indeed we are sending aid to that government directly. What if that money is used to hire police that enforce these laws for example? Supporting a government that does this is no better than sending financial aid to Hitler's Nazi party. If we can leverage our financial support of these governments to make a point on what's acceptable we should.
    Its not quite as clear cut though in this case. If it was say a government imposing its will against the wishes of the population should could indeed separate the two.

But that's not the case here. Clearly if we take your quoted article as accurate then this proposed piece of legislation has the support of the Ugandan people. On this issue the government and the people are one, and by 'punishing' one you appear to punish the other.

Withholding aid simply makes aid appear as an instrument of western control, rather than a genuine attempt at assistance.

• Advertisement

Its not quite as clear cut though in this case. If it was say a government imposing its will against the wishes of the population should could indeed separate the two.

That's sort of dangerous, don't you think? A people can be easily manipulated into support of all kinds of bull**** that ought not to be acceptable to anyone.

If you did a poll in Nazi Germany circa 1940 regarding treatment of Jews, I wonder what the results would have shown...
    yupyup7up wrote: »

Human rights is a global concern. Countries often pressure each other on it.

Would you take the same attitude when they go to other countries with cap-in-hand looking for money? You can't have your cake and eat it.

When people are abused to the extent suggested in this bill by their own country and government, they often can only turn abroad for support, and I wouldn't feel comfortable shrugging my shoulders and saying it's not our problem.

You'll probably need to explain this a bit more.

That's sort of dangerous, don't you think? A people can be easily manipulated into support of all kinds of bull**** that ought not to be acceptable to anyone.
    I'm not to sure how its dangerous, it simply just is. tbh I don't think this is an agenda driven by individual or individuals in government. Rather its a symptom of beliefs of Ugandan people.
    So the question is, is it productive to punish the Ugandan people. When really such beliefs would appear to be common across under-developed countries. Rights will come along with education and prosperity, anything which obstructs that runs contrary to your agenda.
    If you did a poll in Nazi Germany circa 1940 regarding treatment of Jews, I wonder what the results would have shown...
    Who knows, if and buts get you nowhere.

Human rights is a global concern. Countries often pressure each other on it.
    True, but its understandable that people are more concerned with the more immediate issues which directly effect them, rather than some unknowns in Africa. Its nice to sit back say the right things, but the majority of people here will forget it about soon enough. Talks cheap.

I'm not to sure how its dangerous, it simply just is. tbh I don't think this is an agenda driven by individual or individuals in government. Rather its a symptom of beliefs of Ugandan people.

It's been drafted by the government. It's a government's responsibility to protect people even in the face of the mob. The government should be educating its people, not pandering to a witch hunt against a minority who're believed to be at the root of all ills (hmmm...that sounds familiar).
    Who knows, if and buts get you nowhere.

That's a bit of a cop-out.

Popular support isn't the litmus test for what's acceptable or not to the outside world - you and I both know that.
    True, but its understandable that people are more concerned with the more immediate issues which directly effect them, rather than some unknowns in Africa.

I'll pull this line next time someone drops a Trocaire box around.

You know, it's always puzzled me looking back through history at certain events how the world could 'let' certain things happen. But I guess I have my answer here.

I can understand a feeling of helplessness, but you seem to be actively promoting a 'why care' stance (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It's been drafted by the government. It's a government's responsibility to protect people even in the face of the mob. The government should be educating its people, not pandering to a witch hunt against a minority who're believed to be at the root of all ills (hmmm...that sounds familiar).
    So what if it has been drafted by the Government ? It has the support of the people who are afraid of the spread of Aids.
    Obviously educating people on the use of contraceptives would be a better idea but that's neither here nor there at the moment.
    LookingFor wrote:
    Popular support isn't the litmus test for what's acceptable or not to the outside world - you and I both know that.
    Do you think any government should ignore the calls of their populace ? They wouldn't be a very good government if they did that.
    Having said that I doubt their a good government anyway...
    LookingFor wrote:
    I'll pull this line next time someone drops a Trocaire box around.

You know, it's always puzzled me looking back through history at certain events how the world could 'let' certain things happen. But I guess I have my answer here.

I can understand a feeling of helplessness, but you seem to be actively promoting a 'why care' stance (?)
    With drawing aid from a country that you disagree with is just sick.

Sure you may not agree with this new bill but the only people who will suffer from aid withdrawal will be young children and woman.
    Alms are for survival, politics has no place dictating survival.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So what if it has been drafted by the Government ? It has the support of the people who are afraid of the spread of Aids.
    Obviously educating people on the use of contraceptives would be a better idea but that's neither here nor there at the moment.

The alternatives are quite here or there for the folks being persecuted.

Do you think any government should ignore the calls of their populace ? They wouldn't be a very good government if they did that.

Eh, yes, absolutely in certain circumstances. Abolishment of slavery was not very popular in the southern American states for example, yet the government was insistent on pushing this through. Heck, they had a war over it.

Are you saying the government is RIGHT to do this on the basis of popular opinion? That popular opinion and support is the make-or-break in whether it's correct to do these things, and whether other countries should take an interest?

Sometimes the government DOES have to stand up to its people to do the right thing, often in particular when it comes to protection of minorities. This is another perfect example, another perfect opportunity to do the right thing in face of the mob. But you have weak leadership, a weak government presumably intent on holding on to power.

Sure you may not agree with this new bill but the only people who will suffer from aid withdrawal will be young children and woman.
    Alms are for survival, politics has no place dictating survival.

My comment re. Trocaire was flipping the tables on the attitude that we shouldn't care what goes on in Uganda. I am not advocating withdrawing support for such charities operating in Uganda for example at all. I was being sarcastic, casting the same attitude in another light to see how well it holds up (which it doesn't as you've amply demonstrated).

My comment re. foreign aid was a different one. I think it does behoove us to ask what the money's being used for and to consider that when it comes to regimes like this. I should hope we're not just giving money carte blanche, any more than I would when it comes to other governments with dubious human rights records (such as that in NK for example or others who're not exactly doing the best for their people). And here this isn't just a matter of 'politics'. It is also a matter of people's survival. People's survival under many circumstances are often wrapped up in politics anyway.

• Advertisement

The alternatives are quite here or there for the folks being persecuted.
    That comment was neither here nor there either.
    Obviously this law is wrong, nobody can argue with that.
    LookingFor wrote:
    Eh, yes, absolutely in certain circumstances. Abolishment of slavery was not very popular in the southern American states for example, yet the government was insistent on pushing this through. Heck, they had a war over it.
    The American Civil war was fought over more then slavery, yes the Union outlawed black slavery but they also crushed the southern American peoples choice of government.
    LookingFor wrote:
    Are you saying the government is RIGHT to do this on the basis of popular opinion? That popular opinion and support is the make-or-break in whether it's correct to do these things?
    Did I type that ? That's funny I must be getting Dementia.
    No the government does not have a right to do this based on popular opinion but they should be obliged to take directions from the populace.
    i.e outlaw homosexual acts but make the punishments much more lenient.

The role of democracy is to ensure that the majority rules, if we were to make one group excempt from this then theoretically shouldn't all groups be excempt from the will of the public and as such Democracy ?
    What is democracy when one can decide when to use it, and more importantly who decides when the use of Democracy is right ?
    LookingFor wrote:
    Sometimes the government DOES have to stand up to its people to do the right thing, often in particular when it comes to protection of minorities. This is another perfect example, another perfect opportunity to do the right thing in face of the mob. But you have weak leadership, a weak government presumably intent on holding on to power.
    Governments should never go against the will of their public, they may bend the will or even fill the edges of the hyperbole that the public has a habit of producing.
    But at the same time the onus is on them as a domocratic country to allow the people to shape their own country. Withdrawing the peoples right to shape their own country would make them nothing better then a dictatorship.
    LookingFor wrote:
    My comment re. foreign aid was a different one. I think it does behoove us to ask what the money's being used for and to consider that when it comes to regimes like this. I should hope we're not just giving money carte blanche, any more than I would when it comes to other governments (such as that in NK for example or others who're not exactly doing the best for their people). And here this isn't just a matter of 'politics'. It is also a matter of people's survival. People's survival under many circumstances are often wrapped up in politics anyway.
    The simple fact is there countries are already balancing on the verge of collapse, Three quarters of the population of Rwanda for example live below the international poverty line of US$1.25 a day.
    Any nedge no matter how small could push them over the edge into another civil war. Never-mind what withdrawing aid would do to Irelands reputation.
    I know your heart is in the right place but simple fact is that you are over-reacting to a problem that is really none of our business.

Did I type that ? That's funny I must be getting Dementia.
    No the government does not have a right to do this based on popular opinion but they should be obliged to take directions from the populace.
    i.e outlaw homosexual acts but make the punishments much more lenient.

That's not what we're talking about though. The above listed parts of the bill are another kettle of fish entirely.

And the Government is not obliged to take direction from the populace where such direction conflicts with a core set of principles or constitution, if present (which your suggested more lenient legislation would likely flounder on anyway in most countries with stronger principles of equality and freedom).
    The role of democracy is to ensure that the majority rules, if we were to make one group excempt from this then theoretically shouldn't all groups be excempt from the will of the public and as such Democracy ?
    What is democracy when one can decide when to use it, and more importantly who decides when the use of Democracy is right ?

The government has to express the will of the people but within the confines of a constitution or set of principles, so it's not just pure mob rule. You have a set of constraints there set up by a small number of people, the idea being that the majority thereafter won't go completely bat-**** insane with their power.

Pure majority rule would have never got us anywhere on a number of massive issues over history - mostly social issues relating to minorities.

I've no idea what constitution if any Uganda has, or what it's provisions are. However I do know what's right and wrong, and this just seems very very wrong to me. No amount of reassurance about its public support in Uganda will change that for me.

The same logic applied in a number of other scenarios leads to farcical and pretty abhorrent viewpoints, tbh.
    The simple fact is there countries are already balancing on the verge of collapse, Three quarters of the population of Rwanda for example live below the international poverty line of US$1.25 a day.
    Any nedge no matter how small could push them over the edge into another civil war. Never-mind what withdrawing aid would do to Irelands reputation.
    I know your heart is in the right place but simple fact is that you are over-reacting to a problem that is really none of our business.

Well Ireland would not be alone in considering the financial aid provided to the country, AFAIK. A number of others have mooted that they'd have to consider their situation. Economic sanctions against already crippled and poverty stricken countries have happened in the past over matters the international community find unacceptable.

Regarding it not being any of our business, that's a lousy attitude. If you can overlook this then it seems to me you can overlook anything that happens outside our own borders.

I don't think I'm over reacting to this either. I posted it to raise awareness of it and asked what if anything could be done to put pressure on the Ugandan government over it. If something like this were happening in my country I'd like to think it would generate heat and pressure from abroad. I've been met with a chorus to the effect that we really shouldn't give a **** though, so I guess we can just go back to talking about saunas and sex clubs instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Oh now thats just silly. Just because it isn't happening in this country doesn't mean we shouldn't care. Empathy and compassion do not stop at the border.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

AIDS in Africa is almost exclusively transferred by heterosexual sex or at birth.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As above, HIV/AIDS transmission in Africa is almost exclusively by heterosexual sex or at birth.
    Having said that I doubt their a good government anyway...

When the populace are morons, yes.

Executing homosexuals is just sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Giving money to governments which abuse human rights merely allows those governments to remain in power.
    MYOB wrote: »
    AIDS in Africa is almost exclusively transferred by heterosexual sex or at birth.

I'm amazed it took still your post for someone to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Boston wrote: »
    Giving money to governments which abuse human rights merely allows those governments to remain in power.
    That's it exactly.

The statistic being thrown around is that up to half of Uganda's operating budget comes from direct bilateral aid. Other nations cannot conscionably support a regime that is institutionalising such egregious breaching of human rights.

There is a bottom threshold of moral consensus in the mature world. Ordinary people will suffer but governments cannot facilitate the imposition of what we consider to be fundamental evil for the sake of (perhaps) a greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Uganda's president Yoweri Museveni is a fundamentalist christian and in Uganda the president is the most powerful office, which is unfortunate because prime minister Apolo Nsibambi is a top guy.

He's been in power since 1986 but only democratically since 1996 and the last two elections were dodgy as hell.

He has done some good things in the past, HIV transmission has gone down very significantly there(think from 12% to 4%) since Uganda introduced the most progressive prevention program on the continent - "ABC: Abstinence, Be faithful or use a Condom"

It seems he could be another Mugabe in the making though, Ireland actually threatened reduction in aid a few years back when he announced he'd be standing for a third term which was against the constitution. However it never came through when their parlaiment amended the constitution to allow him to run. Bad times for Uganda.

According to this article, reports about the laws being 'toned down' are inaccurate:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/13/death-penalty-uganda-homosexuals
    He denied reports that international pressure might result in parts of the bill being toned down. "We are not going to yield to any international pressure – we cannot allow people to play with the future of our children and put aid into the game. We are not in the trade of values. We need mutual respect."

Meanwhile, various other Ugandan groups WANT diplomatic ties between Uganda and other donor countries to be cut:
    In Entebbe last week, 200 religious leaders, under the powerful umbrella group Inter-Religious Council of Uganda, demanded diplomatic ties be severed with "ungodly" donor countries, including the UK, Sweden and Canada, who are "bent on forcing homosexuality on Ugandans".

Apparently homosexuality is all 'learned' due to foreign influence :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm sorry what - overreacting - to a proposed law where " anyone repeatedly "caught" having sex with someone of the same sex faces the death penalty, while people who touch each other in a "gay way" could be jailed." and where "A clause in the bill also punishes anyone who fails to report an offence within 24 hours of witnessing or finding out about it."

Perhaps you think this is an overreaction but I think that pointing that extreme human rights abuses could potentially happen is in no way an overreaction - in fact if anything the LGBT communities in Ireland have underreacted

Could you explain this a bit more? Did Irish people overreact to Apartheid in South Africa

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As above, HIV/AIDS transmission in Africa is almost exclusively by heterosexual sex or at birth.
    Do you have a source on this ?
    As far as I'm aware it is more or less impossible to chart the spread of Aids in Africa, but then if you have some magical imformation I'd love to see it.
    I'm sure the Ugandan government would like to have a peek too.
    When the populace are morons, yes.
    Again could you give me a source on the Ugandan people having a below average IQ ?
    I hope I'm taking that the wrong way and that it isn't a racist remark.
    Executing homosexuals is just sick.
    Agreed.
    Johnnymcg wrote:
    Perhaps you think this is an overreaction but I think that pointing that extreme human rights abuses could potentially happen is in no way an overreaction - in fact if anything the LGBT communities in Ireland have underreacted
    Well then if you think the LGBT community in Ireland have under reacted then what do you propose they do, eh ?
    In the end of the day Uganda is a free country and we must allow free people to do as they wish with their own country, there are UN measures in place to sanction Uganda if the UN thinks that there is a serious human rights issue.

As far as I'm aware it is more or less impossible to chart the spread of Aids in Africa, but then if you have some magical imformation I'd love to see it.

For someone so wrong, you're incredible smug about it. The magical information comes from the World health organisation. A 3 second google search turned up this very well references site. Which indicates the fact that a whooping 59% of those infected with HIV in Uganda are women. So maybe you can explain to me how killing gay men and Lesbian Women will affect that? Of course if they started killing the hetro women we might see some progress :rolleyes:. The site even goes onto explain that the reason for this is due to the cultural set up in Uganda meaning that men often have several sexual partners prior to marriage. That the women are primarly young and married when they contract HIV from their husbands.

I'm just about sick of your arrogance.
    Again could you give me a source on the Ugandan people having a below average IQ ?

Perhaps you're the racist for linking nationality with race. How very typically Irish of you.
    Well then if you think the LGBT community in Ireland have under reacted then what do you propose they do, eh ?
    In the end of the day Uganda is a free country and we must allow free people to do as they wish with their own country, there are UN measures in place to sanction Uganda if the UN thinks that there is a serious human rights issue.

Well then, once the UN is on the case, I'll rest easy. How about this, they can hang, shoot and burn whomever they want and we'll only start to care once they invade Poland, does that sound like a plan?

For someone so wrong, you're incredible smug about it. The magical information comes from the World health organisation. A 3 second google search turned up this very well references site. Which indicates the fact that a whooping 59% of those infected with HIV in Uganda are women. So maybe you can explain to me how killing gay men and Lesbian Women will affect that? Of course if they started killing the hetro women we might see some progress :rolleyes:. The site even goes onto explain that the reason for this is due to the cultural set up in Uganda meaning that men often have several sexual partners prior to marriage. That the women are primarly young and married when they contract HIV from their husbands.
    So if 59% of those infected are women then 41% must be men ? Yes ?
    It is impossible to tell how many of them are gay but if we say 10% of them are then we have 5.9% of the population as Lesbian carriers and 4.9% of the population as Gay carriers. A very high number.
    Now also if we take into account that Uganda is a very religious country then we can assume those in Hetrosexual marraige are not having sex with others. No gay marraige exists in Uganda so gay partners are not obliged to stay faithful.
    Therefore we can now assume that homosexual people have more partners in Uganda then Hetrosexual people.
    Therefore they are probably more responsible for the pandemic then their numbers would suggest.

Now bare in mind that I do not support this bill but again I think you're over re-acting.
    Perhaps you're the racist for linking nationality with race. How very typically Irish of you.
    I'm not linking nationality with race, I'm linking race with race.
    Different ball game bud.

Well then, once the UN is on the case, I'll rest easy. How about this, they can hang, shoot and burn whomever they want and we'll only start to care once they invade Poland, does that sound like a plan?
    I would say that Uganda didn't invade Poland during WWII and that the UN didn't exist untill after WWII but you'll probably come back with a web article that says it did.

Anyway as I said above when the UN decides Uganda is in violation of Human rights then I will join you on the band wagon but untill then I'm sorry to tell you that you're over reacting again, partner.

So if 59% of those infected are women then 41% must be men ? Yes ?
    It is impossible to tell how many of them are gay but if we say 10% of them are then we have 5.9% of the population as Lesbian carriers and 4.9% of the population as Gay carriers. A very high number.

Firstly, there's not a hope in hell that 10% of the population of Uganda are homosexual. Its about 3% here according to recent ESRI surveys, and this is a country where people don't get killed for it.

I'd go for, ooh, 1% maybe. And anyway, if 1% of the infected population and 1% of the uninfected population are homosexual it means the proportions are identical.

Also, its nearly impossible for HIV to transmit by lesbian sex! 1 in 100,000+ transmission rate for unprotected sex with an infected partner. And we're also ignoring the fact that in countries where proper surveys have been done, theres generally less lesbians than gay men...
    Now also if we take into account that Uganda is a very religious country then we can assume those in Hetrosexual marraige are not having sex with others. No gay marraige exists in Uganda so gay partners are not obliged to stay faithful.
    Therefore we can now assume that homosexual people have more partners in Uganda then Hetrosexual people.
    Therefore they are probably more responsible for the pandemic then their numbers would suggest.

The amount of insanely stupid things you've said in that block of text... *facepalm*

1: A huge amount of HIV transmission in Africa is *by birth*.
    2: Marriage doesn't make people faithful
    3: Not being able to marry doesn't make homosexuals unfaithful
    4: Not one thing you've said even suggests that they're "more responsible" - mainly because all you've done is pulled numbers out of thin air, wibbled and ranted. As per usual.

It's perfectly possible to tell how many of them are gay. ~0 You seriously need to look up the definition of homosexuality. Heres a clue, it won't mention intercourse with the opposite sex. The 1 in ten figure includes Bisexuals and Homosexuals, you can't apply it in the way you just tried to. It's not even a figure which is consistent between genders. You're basing your argument on numbers you know nothing about you don't even know where they come from.

Even if I accept your bull**** figures, 5% of the HIV population being homosexual isn't a high number. It's a number lower then we have.

Uganda is a "religious" country, however its culture is one where polygamy for men is common and a males status in a community is determined by the number of women he has had intercourse with. I love how you think "religion" is a shield against the spread of HIV in Africa.

MYOB said that the people of Uganda are moronic. You called that a racist comment clearly linking race with nationality.

As for your parting comment. Rwanda. That's all I need to say.

I see you've spelled "medical" as "magical". About 40% of transmisison in sub-saharan Africa is by birth source, for instance. Theres huge amounts of research done in to the spread, so you were "aware" wrong.

I also expect the Ugandan Govt. is unlikely to listen to any medical advice on HIV transmission, as the primary medical and scientific line of "barrier contraception" doesn't go down well there.

I was taking the view that anyone who supports killing homosexuals is a moron; but as you've prompted me to do some research - the average IQ in Uganda is 73 according to the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations", as well as other studies. This is at a level which would be seen as suffering borderline retardation in Europe.

So yes, you took it the wrong way - deliberately, as per usual. And your snide attempt to get one over has backfired, oops.

I see you've spelled "medical" as "magical". About 40% of transmisison in sub-saharan Africa is by birth source, for instance. Theres huge amounts of research done in to the spread, so you were "aware" wrong.
    Of course the majority of transmisison is from birth, there will always be more Hetrosexuals then Homosexuals.
    Also less of the personal attacks, it doesn't make you cleaver.
    I also expect the Ugandan Govt. is unlikely to listen to any medical advice on HIV transmission, as the primary medical and scientific line of "barrier contraception" doesn't go down well there.
    What makes you think the Ugandan government is not going to take medical advice ? Any government worth it's salt is going to want what's best for their people.
    Also like it or not the Catholic churches official stance on the prevention of the spread of HIV, that is abstinence is the best of all. After all condoms can break but if you don't have sex then it won't spread.
    Maybe if the Ugandan people toke that advice then they could stop the spread of HIV completely and there would be no need for stupid laws like this.
    I was taking the view that anyone who supports killing homosexuals is a moron; but as you've prompted me to do some research - the average IQ in Uganda is 73 according to the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations", as well as other studies. This is at a level which would be seen as suffering borderline retardation in Europe.
    So your saying Ugandan people are borderline retarded ?
    So yes, you took it the wrong way - deliberately, as per usual. And your snide attempt to get one over has backfired, oops.
    Again, I'm going to have to call you to order on the personal attacks, attack the post not the poster.

Of course the majority of transmisison is from birth, there will always be more Hetrosexuals then Homosexuals.
    Also less of the personal attacks, it doesn't make you cleaver.

You refused to believe this without sources before. Indeed you went and claimed sources couldn't exist. And a cleaver is a tool for cutting meat.
    What makes you think the Ugandan government is not going to take medical advice ? Any government worth it's salt is going to want what's best for their people.

The Ugandan government has proven itself to not be "worth its salt".
    Also like it or not the Catholic churches official stance on the prevention of the spread of HIV, that is abstinence is the best of all. After all condoms can break but if you don't have sex then it won't spread.
    Maybe if the Ugandan people toke that advice then they could stop the spread of HIV completely and there would be no need for stupid laws like this.

There are no need for laws like this under any circumstances.

How on earth can you claim abstinence is going to prevent the spread of HIV "completely" when birth, uncleaned medical equipment, drugs equipment and indeed every other transmission vector other than sex is still left there?
    So your saying Ugandan people are borderline retarded ?

No, you're just utterly, utterly desperate to call me a racist.
    Again, I'm going to have to call you to order on the personal attacks, attack the post not the poster.

When the poster shows no signs of abating in their incessant posting of crap and veiled homophobia, you lose patience.

• Advertisement

You refused to believe this without sources before. Indeed you went and claimed sources couldn't exist. And a cleaver is a tool for cutting meat.
    Would anybody believe anything exists without a source to the information ? They would need to be very gullible.
    Also I suppose that's the problem with spell checker.
    The Ugandan government has proven itself to not be "worth its salt".
    Not worth it's salt on this issue, I think you mean.
    There are no need for laws like this under any circumstances.
    Agreed.
    How on earth can you claim abstinence is going to prevent the spread of HIV "completely" when birth, uncleaned medical equipment, drugs equipment and indeed every other transmission vector other than sex is still left there?
    That's funny I don't remember saying abstinence would cut the spread of HIV compleately, but it would certainly go a long way. I didn't think I needed to explain this in my last post. But other measures will have to be taken aswell. This law is one of them.

I don't agree with the punishments but you can't argue that cutting out Homosexual sex will help curb the spread of HIV.
    No, you're just utterly, utterly desperate to call me a racist.
    No I'm not, I just want to know why you think the Ugandan people are borderline retarded.
    When the poster shows no signs of abating in their incessant posting of crap and veiled homophobia, you lose patience.
    I am not Homophobic and I've had to defend myself three times from you in this topic alone. If you do not stop I will have to report you to a mod.
    The policy of Boards.ie is to attack the post not the poster so try and keep a civil tounge in your mouth.

Advertisement