Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Creaking Infrastructure Photo-thread

Options
  • 02-12-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Post pictures here of all manner of dilapidated and/or downright dangerous or useless infrastructure. I'll snap a shot or two when I get a chance...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never felt safe driving on this, now that its been closed / reduced to one lane repeated for floods, I never will again:

Pict9524.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Can we add where the creaking infrastructure is too? I'd love to know where that heap is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oops. Thats the N65 "Ferry Bridge" swing bridge at Portumna. Its nigh on 100 years old, and it feels it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What would you want a thread like this for?

Look to the future not the past. God knows it was bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I thought it might be good to have a photo-thread, something like the "Poor Road Signage Pictures" thread over on C&T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MYOB wrote: »
    Never felt safe driving on this, now that its been closed / reduced to one lane repeated for floods, I never will again:

Pict9524.jpg

Holy sh1t! :eek: I thought that board was the road you were referring to! :eek:

Some rebel you would be tryin that corner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

spacetweek wrote: »
    What would you want a thread like this for?

Look to the future not the past. God knows it was bad enough.

...suppose it helps to highlight bad infrastructure, thereby enhancing pressure to have something done about it.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

The main swing span on that bridge was replaced last year.

/csd

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That photo above is of the N65 Portumna Bridge over the River Shannon just north of Lough Derg, between counties Galway and Tipperary.

The bridge is indeed old - it dates from 1911 - the swinging span that opoends to allow boats through every hour or so was replaced last year but the rest of the structure is in poor condition. The whole bridge will need to be replaced before too long.

In fairness, much of the old, creaking infrastructure in Ireland has been completely rebuilt/replaced in the past 10 years. But a couple of examples I would add would be these:

Quincentennial bridge Galway City - handles far more traffic than it was built to cater for. Needs pressure relieved by the Galway Outer Bypass.

Slane Bridge - How a 17th century bridge which takes single file traffic, skewed at right angles to very step and dangerous inclines, has been allowed to continue to form part of a National Primary Route, the N2, in the 21st century beggars belief. Only in Ireland. This bridge is a death trap and should have been replaced not years, but decades ago.

SlaneBridgebyJimmyHarris.jpg

Connolly to Maynooth Commuter Line - should be electrified with full DART service ASAP. It is grossly under capacity for the demand along that line that has exploded over the past 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

The wooden bridge out to the south end of Bull Island in Dublin is the scariest I've crossed in this country. I know it is not on a major route, but in recent years it has been getting much more use due to the number of Kite Surfers that use this end of the beach. I creaks when you drive over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Slane is a way to avoid the M1 toll, thats the real reason it hasnt been touched :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

csd wrote: »
    The main swing span on that bridge was replaced last year.

/csd

And here it is being replaced in 4 and a half minutes!
    http://www.shannonimages.net/lmkeating.html

I grew up beside this bridge, it's an amazing piece of 1911 engineering, and will be fine for another hundred years at least! The only time that I can recall it ever failing prior to the flood last week was in 1995 when it swelled in the heat and could not turn......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Slane is a way to avoid the M1 toll, thats the real reason it hasnt been touched :D

Sad but true, a dreadful indictment on the decision making policy of some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

nordydan wrote: »
    Sad but true, a dreadful indictment on the decision making policy of some...

Same story with the N7 & N8 south and west of Portlaoise. Soon we'll have the option of taking the existing tarmaced cattle tracks through small villages with their dangerous bends and potholes or the privately tolled motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Dirigent wrote: »
    Same story with the N7 & N8 south and west of Portlaoise. Soon we'll have the option of taking the existing tarmaced cattle tracks through small villages with their dangerous bends and potholes or the privately tolled motorway.

...maybe something for the EU Commission to look into - AFAIK, under EU Law, a reasonable alternative route must be provided if a main route is to be tolled...

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

An alternative route doesn't have to be gold plated. If it was reasonable to send traffic that way for the last hundred years then it is a reasonable alternative route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Dirigent wrote: »

Well, unlike many bypassed N roads, the existing N7 has been fully resurfaced between Nenagh and Limerick, not just another layer, but digging it up, putting down foundation and properly surfacing, with small realignment, crash barriers and decent signage. It's an unsuitable road for the volume of traffic at present (unsafe for overtaking and mix of lorries/cars) but it will be an admirable R road when the M7 Limerick-Nenagh opens.

Although that section is admittedly not a toll road and the most goat-trackish bit of the existing N7 is Mountrath-Portlaoise (although it is a short section - it won't be too much bother to have motorway to Borris-in-Ossory with no toll, a half hour of goat track, and then toll-free motorway Portlaoise-Naas). At least Mountrath has been resurfaced.

If someone gets a chance - this thread could use photos of goat-track roads like the N20 near Buttevant (or Charleville-Croom), the N69 Limerick-Foynes (it's the amount of lorries you meet that makes this one "special"), N7 Mountrath-Portlaoise, N52 Borrisokane-Birr (section at the start is like a parody of Irish roads). Despite it due to be bypassed shortly, I think we could allow existing N9 photos - it's particularly frightening from what I've seen - probably will rank poorly as even an R road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As someone who lives beside the existing N7 between the current end of the M7 and Borris-in-Ossory, I dearly hope that people DON'T choose to skip the toll on the M7-M8 scheme, but the omens aren't good; a LOT of people are talking about avoiding the toll as described above. :(

Mountrath and Borris-in-Ossory aren't going to get the traffic reduction they were 'promised' when this scheme was being proposed and planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

Here is a picture of the now crumbling "Red Bridge" in New Ross, which was part of the line linking Enniscorthy to Waterford, via New Ross. If this line was still open today it would offer a viable and attractive alternative to driving to Waterford and offer a way to avoid traffic gridlock in New Ross.

New Ross Bridge

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

NedNew wrote: »
    Here is a picture of the now crumbling "Red Bridge" in New Ross, which was part of the line linking Enniscorthy to Waterford, via New Ross. If this line was still open today it would offer a viable and attractive alternative to driving to Waterford and offer a way to avoid traffic gridlock in New Ross.

New Ross Bridge

It looks like the Cassandra Crossing!:eek: Thanks, but no thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Typical N9 stretch. Something really did need doing with it....
    normal_DSC01280.jpg

The infamous N11 gap needs closing....
    normal_006_N11_bends.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The road between Midleton and Cork could only be described as "creaking"...looks like some of it is being fixed AT LAST.......

Advertisement