Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food stamp program for Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Didn't say I was on 500 - didn't want to say how much.Would prefer not to. It isn't 450 either.... and I have taken two cuts since I started.... income levy and pension levy and have no job security.
    Sorry thought you were upset at a wage of 500. Thats tough but remember it wont be forever, Im now earning 60% of what I earned last year. Got laid off in january and luckily got something else which I would have previously considered myself overqualified for, was damn glad to get it too. Not much better off than yourself but just happy to be working at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

gcgirl wrote: »
    yes exactly what i said you get 20 a week fuel allowance, you dont get coal or oil put in to your tank along with 20 euro a week!!

Im telling you the truth.... my boyfriend has recently set up a fuel business and he has got alot of runs off social welfare for different people around the area. Tonnes of coal, pallets of briquettes and oil.... all ordered from social welfare office for people drawing the dole...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

This thread made a tiny bit of sense maybe 3 years ago but not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

you dont get anything other than 20 euro a week FUEL ALLOWANCE!!! you dont get any oil or coal PLEASE READ properly!!

Im telling you the truth.... my boyfriend has recently set up a fuel business and he has got alot of runs off social welfare for different people around the area. Tonnes of coal, pallets of briquettes and oil.... all ordered from social welfare office for people drawing the dole...

The only people it could be is the St Vincent De Paul they are known to help people! not the social

• Advertisement

mickeyk wrote: »
    Sorry thought you were upset at a wage of 500. Thats tough but remember it wont be forever, Im now earning 60% of what I earned last year. Got laid off in january and luckily got something else which I would have previously considered myself overqualified for, was damn glad to get it too. Not much better off than yourself but just happy to be working at the moment.

True - have to agree its nice to have something to get up to - shouldn't complain but it does make my blood boil sometimes!!! Ah just wanting to let off a bit of steam!!! Good luck with new job- a change is as good as the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

The problem is that all these quotes of the benefits to the unemployed apply only to those that sat on their 'holes during the past 10 years, not those on Job Seekers Benefit as opposed to Long Term Job Seekers Assistance, i..e those that lose he Xmas "bonus".

A fairer system would be to apply that that is used in the likes of Holland where you receive 80% of your salary for the first 6 months, thus recompensing those that have paid more taxes to be supplemented more when unemployed in the short term.

That sounds great, however this is Ireland in a deep and dark recession not Holland or Gumdrop land where money grows on trees! While your plan would work in times or plenty, times of plenty would make such a policy redundant as work would be, by definition, plentiful! I proposed this theory as means of reducing financial stress on the government and/ or the middle classes. My proposal is not primarily designed to screw over those who live off the dole long term, it simply doesn’t even consider such individual as the dole is/ should not be in place to provide a long term sustainable source of livelihood.

The only people it could be is the St Vincent De Paul they are known to help people! not the social

Well cheques come from the department of socail welfare... Im just saying what I know.... these are the facts.... :rolleyes:

Well cheques come from the department of socail welfare... Im just saying what I know.... these are the facts.... :rolleyes:

Excuse me - its the department of Social and Family Affairs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres plenty of professionals who are now spending extended time(actually define that for me can you--12 months,18 months??) on the social welfare and who paid massive amounts of tax in the boom years and now cant find alternate employment--should they be punished?

They should be given enough to live a very simple life on. This is a recession, all bets are off, the money is gone. People have gotten to used to the lavish Celtic tiger lifestyle. It's time to get the screw driver out and cut a few extra hole our belst because were going to need them...

• Advertisement

look at welfare.ie and see what people are entitled to stories are changing from your friend to now your bf cos there is no such thing!

you dont get anything other than 20 euro a week FUEL ALLOWANCE!!! you dont get any oil or coal PLEASE READ properly!!

Your very ceanndána altogether... I am telling you the facts.... he is on a run at the moment.... and the cheques come from the Department of Social and Family affairs!!!!!!! PLEASE READ PROPERLY!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

amjon wrote: »
    That sounds great, however this is Ireland in a deep and dark recession not Holland or Gumdrop land where money grows on trees! While your plan would work in times or plenty, times of plenty would make such a policy redundant as work would be, by definition, plentiful! I proposed this theory as means of reducing financial stress on the government and/ or the middle classes. My proposal is not primarily designed to screw over those who live off the dole long term, it simply doesn’t even consider such individual as the dole is/ should not be in place to provide a long term sustainable source of livelihood.

No not having such a system drives people to emigration.

look at welfare.ie and see what people are entitled to stories are changing from your friend to now your bf cos there is no such thing!

My friend got her tank filled with oil - my boyfriend gets the runs from the social although he did not deliver hers - I was only making the point I knew someone personally who gets it - there are plenty people but I don't know them or thier personal situation..... only that they are on the social.... the reason I know its not my friend 'making it up' in your words - is because my bf delivers many orders a week!

Your very ceanndána altogether... I am telling you the facts.... he is on a run at the moment.... and the cheques come from the Department of Social and Family affairs!!!!!!! PLEASE READ PROPERLY!!!!!!!!!

Well then someone is doing something very very wrong and I think you should stop talking about it in a public forum.

Well then someone is doing something very very wrong and I think you should stop talking about it in a public forum.
    No its certain entitlements - has to be!!

No its certain entitlements - has to be!!

Multiple people have pointed out to you that there is no such entitlement.

My friend got her tank filled with oil - my boyfriend gets the runs from the social although he did not deliver hers - I was only making the point I knew someone personally who gets it - there are plenty people but I don't know them or thier personal situation..... only that they are on the social.... the reason I know its not my friend 'making it up' in your words - is because my bf delivers many orders a week!

just to check i can ask a friend who actually works in the local social office and i'd say she can confirm what i have already stated !

just to check i can ask a friend who actually works in the local social office and i'd say she can confirm what i have already stated !

Fire ahead.... I am just saying what I know - maybe some people don't take the sixteen euro a week or whatever... I not arguing anymore... my point was I know people who are on the dole earning more than me - fuel or no fuel....

most people i know get between the 204 or less depending if they can get a day or 2 work which is taking out day wise of their SW they dont get rent allowance or fuel allowance cos they are living at home with their parents some parents are working some are not !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

I think people getting Oil are not on the dole, but on Sickness Benefit only in exceptional circumstances. NOT SW! Kill the sick as well as the poor! God forgive you. I wouldn't imagine these people have the medical history printed on these cheques for the "benefit" of nosy scare mongering neighbors!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

The problem is that all these quotes of the benefits to the unemployed apply only to those that sat on their 'holes during the past 10 years, not those on Job Seekers Benefit as opposed to Long Term Job Seekers Assistance, i..e those that lose he Xmas "bonus".

A fairer system would be to apply that that is used in the likes of Holland where you receive 80% of your salary for the first 6 months, thus recompensing those that have paid more taxes to be supplemented more when unemployed in the short term.

wrong habe this from the dutch website and translated with google for u

www.uwv.nl

<H1>Height of an unemployment benefit</H1>You are entitled to unemployment benefits? Then you get a basic allowance of 3 months. The first 2 months you get 75% of your daily wage, 70% the third month. If more than 3 months WW gets the amount of your benefit in the following months 70% of the daily wage.
    Do you work for a short period and then continued the unemployment benefit? Then the old daily wage remains applicable.
    <H2>How is the daily wage calculated?

The daily wage is based on the average daily wages you earned in the years before you became unemployed. The daily wage is never more than statutory maxima

</H2>

I keep telling my gran the oap's are gonna be first in to the gas chambers!!

teddy_303 wrote: »
    I think people getting Oil are not on the dole, but on Sickness Benefit only in exceptional circumstances. NOT SW! Kill the sick as well as the poor! God forgive you. I wouldn't imagine these people have the medical history printed on these cheques for the "benefit" of nosy scare mongering neighbors!

They arent my neighbours .... but yes.. God Forgive Me!!!!

Probably on the sick then .... oppsss sorry looks like I rattled some cages... once again hee hee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

Oh my God.........some people are on the dole because they have lost their jobs, and have worked their backsides off, other people are single parents not out of choice, my sister has a child with a garda, he left her and the child when the child was 2, he the dad said he was to young to be a parent, that was his excuse ,selfish bastard:mad:

The child is now 9 and the dad has never ever coughed up for santa, school books or even a haircut. I think he is getting away with paying 50 euro per month towards rearing his child. She did bring him to court a few years ago and thats what the judge agreed on!??:confused:

My sister had a very good job, but due to the downturn etc, the company went bust, so now she finds herself on the dole.

What annoys me is sometimes some of you posters think you can work it all out and know all the answers...well guess what you DONT:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Fire ahead.... I am just saying what I know - maybe some people don't take the sixteen euro a week or whatever... I not arguing anymore... my point was I know people who are on the dole earning more than me - fuel or no fuel....[/quote

have the same one tank with kerosene max 600 eu but then u dont get the 20 euro a week because u had it in once
    Problem is oil deliveries are not under 300 euro thats why they do this
    get the fuel alowance for 30 weeks x 20=600 eu

Fire ahead.... I am just saying what I know - maybe some people don't take the sixteen euro a week or whatever... I not arguing anymore... my point was I know people who are on the dole earning more than me - fuel or no fuel....[/quote

have the same one tank with kerosene max 600 eu but then u dont get the 20 euro a week because u had it in once

that sounds more like it but thats the 20 a week gone!

Okay well I was half right half wrong .... thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well the way it is now I have part time hours - the best I could get. I work 5 days - One of my friends between dole and allowences is getting 214 dole, 150 rent allowence, 25 single mothers, 16 fuel and a tank of oil a year, and some other benefit as well as medical card, I am not even clearing 500 a week ..... do not want to give exact amount... its just depressing sometimes!

but if you are earning at least €400 a week, you are probably teaching in the region of 11 hours a week. You have the opportunity with your qualifications to take on extra work in the form of grinds, correcting mocks, correcting the state exams, working as an oral examiner, supervision and substitution in your school. All of these could add quite substantially to your income.

I'm a teacher myself, and I was visiting a friend last night who is living on single parent allowance and gets rent allowance and the various things you mentioned. Quite often she doesn't know where the money is going to come from, from one end of the week to the next. She is scraping by. Would I deny her one fill of oil/coal a year? Would I hell! I wouldn't want to see her and her son living in a freezing cold house. Nor would I deny her a TV which is probablly the cheapest form of entertainment there is. Not everyone is living it up on social welfare payments.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement