Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsored Visas for Dummies

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im currently on a WHV and Im looking into getting sponsored by my company here in Australia so that I can stay and work here for more then one year. Has anyone been through this process recently and can give me a basic run through of exactly what I would be required to do and what my employer has to do in order for me to secure this type of visa?

I have had a look at http://www.immi.gov.au but would still really appreciate if anyone who has gone through this process or knows what needs to be done could help me out as I’m still not 100% on exactly how to go about this.

I have a meeting with my HR manager next week and I really need to have a clear idea of what would have to be done by then. The company has not sponsored anyone before so it will be all new to them too.

Is the
    Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)
    The correct scheme I should be looking at?

I have a BSc in Architecture and a BA in 3D design (furniture and product). I also have 5 years work experience in various design practices in Ireland and England as well as 6 months experience here in Australia.

I think I would be classed as either an Architectural Associate or Interior Designer and am currently earning <snip>(more then the min required) but that could go up if I was to stay.

Any help you guys could give me would be gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

You are looking at a 457 visa.

Its easy. Print the forms off the gov website. Fill in your bit. Get company to fill in theirs. Send it off with the fee and if they need anything else they will ring you.

Keep pressure on them to drive it through.

Print out the forms and fill them out rather than doing it on-line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You are looking at a 457 visa.

Its easy. Print the forms off the gov website. Fill in your bit. Get company to fill in theirs. Send it off with the fee and if they need anything else they will ring you.

Keep pressure on them to drive it through.

Have you gotten one yourself?

Doc wrote: »
    Have you gotten one yourself?

I would have thought that was pretty obvious, but yes

I would have thought that was pretty obvious, but yes

Did you have to get a medical done or anything like that?

• Advertisement

Yeah chest xray. Plus you need qualification transcripts etc. Check it out: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think I would be classed as either an Architectural Associate or Interior Designer and am currently earning $53,500 but that could go up if I was to stay.

Any help you guys could give me would be gratefully received!

Don't worry about that Arch Associat, that's only relevant for migration visas. I was going to do it that way, but to get the degree recognaise is expensive and there is no real guarantee of sucess.

As mentioned 457 is what you want.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/
    Worried about a few recreational drugs that might be floating around in there. :cool:

There is a health exam, but only requested for certain people, such as very old people, those who will work in hospitals, or schools or if they think you might have TB or similar
    You should be ok.

I'm in a similar position as you, I'm going to ask about sponsorship in a week or two, in an architectural practise too.

If you don't mind me asking, who are you with, or where?

Mellor wrote: »
    to get the degree recognaise is expensive and there is no real guarantee of sucess.

Yep that $300 ill never see again for nothing. Ah it was worth chancing i guess.

I suggest you re-read my post. I was refering to the 121 not the 457.
    For migration the fee could be a lot more, depending on the professional body that recognaises it, mine was $1600 for a prelim assessment, not right now I think, i'm trying 457 first

I suggest you re-read my post. I was refering to the 121 not the 457.
    For migration the fee could be a lot more, depending on the professional body that recognaises it, mine was $1600 for a prelim assessment, not right now I think, i'm trying 457 first

I thought you were refering to getting your qualification recognised by the relevant authority of your field of work for residency.

• Advertisement

Worried about a few recreational drugs that might be floating around in there. :cool:

No mate the drink is enough for me just wanting to know what I nead to get done.
    I'm in a similar position as you, I'm going to ask about sponsorship in a week or two, in an architectural practise too.

If you don't mind me asking, who are you with, or where?

I’m working for a company called Prebuilt it designs and builds prefabricated homes and installs them all over the country but mainly in Victoria as it’s based just outside of Melbourne. It also has a commercial arm called Precom which is registered as a separate company. I have just finished working 6 months with Prebuilt and started another 6 month contract with Precom but I’m really just doing the same job.

I thought you were refering to getting your qualification recognised by the relevant authority of your field of work for residency.
    I was refering to self sponsorship visa. It probably applies to the migration and PR visa's too.
    $300 is cheap, mine would cost a lot more. Unless I can find a way to have somebody else recognized it.
    I’m working for a company called Prebuilt it designs and builds prefabricated homes and installs them all over the country but mainly in Victoria as it’s based just outside of Melbourne. It also has a commercial arm called Precom which is registered as a separate company. I have just finished working 6 months with Prebuilt and started another 6 month contract with Precom but I’m really just doing the same job.
    Did you change from prebuild to precom as a precaution, or where you contacted by IMMI?
    I'm getting close to my 6 months now, Really don't wanna change jobs.

Did you change from prebuild to precom as a precaution, or where you contacted by IMMI?
    I'm getting close to my 6 months now, Really don't wanna change jobs.

Yea I did it as a precaution they had two companies resitered so I thought it for the best. I didnt want to do anything that might cause me trouble in future when I could easily switch and keep doing exactly what I have been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Dudes, I wouldnt post too much info about who you work for etc on a public forum. Although innocent enough you never know when something can come back and bite you on the bum.

(btw myhorse is my real name ..)

Advertisement