Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Dempsey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Seize the Day and Shots put Dempsey on the map, so he didn't make a career out of "Luke Kelly/Pogue songs".

He's trying to make money out of them without brining any unique sound to the songs, which is enough for me to despise him. I must clarify, that it was only the songs that are not his own I was referring to.

Whiskey D, I agree that these songs should be sung by people as much as possible, but you shouldn't attempt to make money from them without adding any originality IMO. I wouldn't care if they were better or worse than other versions if there was something new about them. Personally I think its a shameless degredation of a great tradition.

When you cross the divide from singing songs for your own enjoyment into selling your versions of them, you open yourself up to this kind of criticism. If Damien Dempsey had never done this, I would have no problem with him whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

fh041205 wrote: »
    He's trying to make money out of them without brining any unique sound to the songs, which is enough for me to despise him. I must clarify, that it was only the songs that are not his own I was referring to.

Whiskey D, I agree that these songs should be sung by people as much as possible, but you shouldn't attempt to make money from them without adding any originality IMO. I wouldn't care if they were better or worse than other versions if there was something new about them. Personally I think its a shameless degredation of a great tradition.

When you cross the divide from singing songs for your own enjoyment into selling your versions of them, you open yourself up to this kind of criticism. If Damien Dempsey had never done this, I would have no problem with him whatsoever.

His arrangement of 'Rainy Night In Soho' on the Rocky Road album was superb, as were several of the other arrangements.
    I think 'Night Visiting Song' was maybe in too high a key for him so it sounded strained, but overall I found the album excellent.

Folk music is there to be sung by everyone - I'm a massive fan of Luke Kelly and believe he did the definitive version of many of his songs, but that doesn't mean no one else should sing them. To compare someone to Luke Kelly is harsh enough as it is.

brummytom wrote: »
    Folk music is there to be sung by everyone - I'm a massive fan of Luke Kelly and believe he did the definitive version of many of his songs, but that doesn't mean no one else should sing them.

I agree 100%. Actually I saw him singing Night visiting song on one of Luke Kellys dvds and thought his voice really suited it. He must have changed it somewhat for the version he released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

he also does a great version of madam, im a darlin.. and one or 2 pecker dunne songs...

Its funny, critising him for singing songs sung by Kelly. The irish mentality begrudging people because they are doing well is almost shining through.

Kelly wrote very few. Though he did copy them from other people. Damo adds quite a lot on his new album actually. His version of night visiting song was distinct..

EDIT: Any one who hasnt seen him live shouldnt really comment on him tbh.. hes brilliant live. Hes playing in slane next saturday in Ryans of the Gormalough if anyone is interested!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Lets keep it friendly guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭emurf

Comparing Damien Dempsey to people like Luke Kelly and Christy Moore is pointless. Damien Dempsey is first and foremost a songwriter. Luke Kelly and Christy Moore are not.
    . :p

How can you say Christy Moore is not a songwriter?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I didn't say he's not a songwriter, but he's best known as a singer of other peoples songs. A Christy Moore gig will consist of a few of his own songs (Viva La Quince Brigada, Lisdoonvarna, Joxer Goes To Stuttgart, Delirium Tremens, Ruby Walsh) and 80% other writers material.

You can also add Yellow Triangle and Strange Ways to that list - they're both played quite often. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

You can also add Yellow Triangle and Strange Ways to that list - they're both played quite often. :o

Ah Whiskey, you're a hardcore Christy fan! Bound to be a few around here I suppose. I'd add North & South to that list too (co-written with Bono & The Edge) but nearly always gets played. He's playin Delerium Tremens a good bit lately too and Saint Brendan's Voyage the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

He's possibly one of the best live performers i have ever seen. I also feel he is a very talented song writer, with regards him establishing himself by performing other peoples songs (the dubliners, pecker dunne) i feel is a completely invalid point given that he had released 4 albums prior to releasing The Rocky Road, and also the fact that a large section of the tracks on that album were already established within the irish folk song tradition prior to the folk revival of the mid 20th century.
    Undoubtedly Luke Kelly and the Dubliners set a marker from which many other if not all irish folk singers well invariably be compared to, however to suggest that his release of The Rocky Road was a dishonest attempt to cash in on other peoples music is misinterperating the ethos of the album which i believe was to expose the younger generation of his fans to the music which had influenced Dempsey himself in his younger days.

Dont get me started on George Murphy :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Does anyone know is Damien working on any new material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

im still confused.. is damien a traditional irish singer??? i just cant seem to put him into this category..? could somebody point me to a youtube track or something? he doesnt really seem to be exuding..the irish "trad" thing.. if ye get me... i think hes more suited (on this site) to a folk or pop forum...!!

now to me this would be an example of singing suited to an irish trad forum..

or even..

The man himself... Seamus Ennis in fine traditional irish singing voice...

If im wrong, then please somebody explain to me,, but every trad musician i know wouldnt put him in the "traditional irish" bracket!

this is meant as no offence to damien dempsey or his music, its just a case of maybe clarifying his "genre" !

Ye i see where your coming from Flanum, i wouldnt consider everything he does to be traditional.. he takes his influences from luke kelly and bob marley. You cant really call him a trad irish singer...

Heres him (drunk) doing one of pecker dunnes songs, wexford town...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8iAn363NyY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

With regards classification of Dempseys genre i dont really think trad would be appropriate. I think on one of his live appearances (possibly other voices) he says something along the lines of urban folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Damo sings in his dublin accent, it's not over the top compared to some of the folks i know, it took real balls for him to start singing this way many years ago, and took even more balls to keep doing it through the early years of piss taking and ridicule.

I think since irish people hear the dublin accent all the time it's taken for granted, we are too fast to dismiss something that sounds home grown or in a regional accent, Mary Black and Deloras O'Reardon, Sinead O'Connor, are all fomous internationally because their singing voices are considered unique and original. and Dempsy is no different. our uniqueness and our culture are our greatest strengths.

It's easy to rip the piss and be a beard stroking intellectialist because we did honors english in school, but this kind sarcasm and pesimism are all too common a part of our culture also, we'd love to drag down someone rather than see them suceed, Damiens music describes problems such as these and shows us that we can be more positive and supportive of one another as opposed to sealing ourselves into our homes and ragging on anything and everything different. if you don't like it fine, no need to be a hater, bad form.

In the immortal words of Maxi Jazz - "I want a wisdom that wise men revere"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Right fair enough.. so can we refrain from mentioning damien dempsey in the traditional forum and stick him over in the folk/twee or pop or something?....

meanwhile on planet trad we've a few jigs reels and mazurkas to sort out!

im personally working out the 2nd part of the Ivy leaf.. in serious fast time like vinny kilduff plays...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

I think he's great. A breath of fresh air to the industry. Saw him in the Sirius Arts Centre in Cobh last thursday. A great gig.

flanum wrote: »
    Right fair enough.. so can we refrain from mentioning damien dempsey in the traditional forum and stick him over in the folk/twee or pop or something?....

im personally working out the 2nd part of the Ivy leaf.. in serious fast time like vinny kilduff plays...

no! hes a balladeer..he sings irish traditional music, whether you like to admit it or not. Ive heard him sing live some great irish traditional songs.

Because Ronnie Drew loved and sang jazz, should we kick him out of this forum too because hes not 'pure' enough for you???

oh and in before... "dont compare him to <insert singer here>"

flanum wrote: »

There is no folk forum on boards.ie - The tag for this forum is Traditional, Irish and folk music. Blame whoever named the forum Traditional, and not something more suitable like the tagline. This is one of the most popular threads on here, so posters are clearly interested in talking about Damien Dempsey, Sinead O' Connor, Christy Moore etc. who have been influenced by traditional music. What's needed is a name change or two sub-forums.

You Trad heads just love moaning. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

Damien Dempsey = Quality live performer.
    Damien Dempsey's lyrics = Painfully crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sharp_shooter

I'd just like to point out something if I may....

Damien Dempsey recorded the Rocky Road WITH THE DUBLINERS!!!! If they approve of him taking Ronnie Drew's and Luke Kelly's place on vocals so much so that the recorded and album with him then who is anyone to question his talent!! and above all who is anyone to question whether he should be in this forum!! He recorded an album with the greatest Irish tradional band ever - The Dubliners!!- and before anyone starts, he was very good friends with ronnie drew, who loved his music. And for those who dont know, he was one of the few major Irish artists to sing in the tribute to ronnie drew just before he sadly passed away.

Damien did not record that album for financial gain!! he did it for one simple and staraight up reason and that is that it was a dream of his since he was a boy! and in making his dream come true he also got to bring the old trad music that so many of us grew up on to the younger generation of Ireland which is wonderful!

I think the people who slate Damo dont really know him and what he is about! He took a lot of abuse for his material and his accent (hence the song Negative Vibes) but he stuck with it and never gave up doing what he does because it is his passion! If more people took a leaf out of his book then Ireland would be a much better place! people need to listen and understand the message he is putting across in his music and then they will understand him more. He is not for everyone but I think it is Ironic that the very things he sings about is what the haters disagree with!!

I think Damo is a great influnence for the youth of Ireland and the more who can open up to his music the better! Everything he writes comes from the heart!

Thanks for the Music Damo

"Love yourself today"

SS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 corkfein

muletide wrote: »
    Huge Fan here

It was not untiul I saw him live that I really got hooked, since then I have spent a small fortune following him around the country.

Please reserve judgement until you have seen this man live

He played the closing night of Electric Picnic last year and had the tent hopping and had to have the power cut in order to stop him playing

People complain about manufactured bands and artists, this man is the exact opposite - such an unbelievable piece of homegrown talent that we should be proud of

Saw that gig myself first time seein him live.he rocked the gaff.
    big fan,but sumtimes the accents a bit OTT

take it from me the accent is not even slightly put on! I know Damo all his life and he has always talked in that strong an accent!!

Everything he writes comes from the heart!
    +1

I don't think many people with experience of his music would disagree with that, including me. However, if you are to even attempt to suggest again (as you seem to have done above) that he can fill the awesome boots once inhabited by Luke Kelly I'm afraid you're opinion is null and void. I'm going to assume however, that this was not your intention.

I thought his covers album was very poor and did him no favours at all. Not many people disagree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

+1

I don't think many people with experience of his music would disagree with that, including me. However, if you are to even attempt to suggest again (as you seem to have done above) that he can fill the awesome boots once inhabited by Luke Kelly I'm afraid you're opinion is null and void. I'm going to assume however, that this was not your intention.

I thought his covers album was very poor and did him no favours at all. Not many people disagree with this.

I really liked the 'Rocky Road'. I didn't feel his intention was to try and fill Luke's boots; but it's obvious Luke was his hero and it's only natural Damien would want to emulate him.

As I said previously, I thought that album was great - Rainy Night In Soho, Rocky Road to Dublin, Schoolday's Over, Night Visiting Song, Kelly from Killane... all fantastic songs, but obviously will never come close to Luke Kelly's versions.

I have to say though, probably just because of the arrangement, I prefer Damiens' 'Schooldays Over' to Luke's and his 'Rainy Night in Soho' to Shane MacGowan's.

Credit where credit's due; he's a great singer/songwriter, a fantastic ballad singer and a credit to Luke's memory (still doesn't come close though ;):P)

I am not saying he is better than luke kelly! To try compare the two makes no sense! they are completely different in their style and time! I think the best way to look at it is if the great luke was still around its safe to assume he woyuld be a fan of Damo and that he would feel that Damo dis his songs justice! There is no better or worse its all art and art is what you want it to be.

I am a huge fan of the great luke kelly and would never take away what he has accomplished as an artist but personnally I prefer Damo and get more out of his music but that is not saying they are different that is just my preference. If i am in a mood of reflecting on the old times in dublin and life and history back in the early days than I will put on some Luke kelly or Dubliners stuff. If I in the mood of listening to some upbeat Irish origin music about current Ireland I'll listen to Damo! and that sums it up really.

I dont think he should be judged so harshly for his album with the Dubliners because he is just trying to educate the youth of Ireland on the wonders of that music and how it made him feel. and no doubt fans of his will hear it, like it, and then look for the originals and then begin to appricate the talents of Mr. Kelly and the Dubliners when they might have been missing out on it before! That is what Damo is trying to do. he is not trying to be better than Luke! I can promise you that if you said to him that you think he is trying to be better than luke he would laught and say "Dont be stupid! no one is better than Luke Kelly"!!

I dont think he should be judged so harshly for his album with the Dubliners because he is just trying to educate the youth of Ireland on the wonders of that music and how it made him feel. and no doubt fans of his will hear it, like it, and then look for the originals and then begin to appricate the talents of Mr. Kelly and the Dubliners when they might have been missing out on it before! That is what Damo is trying to do.

Right, almost everyone has said this. So time for a show of hands.

Which of you (internet people) who are fans of Damien Dempsey, who previously had zero knowledge of the Dubliners existance, have since become avid fans based purely on Damien Dempsey collaboration or whatever you want to call it. Answer honestly now!!!

Which of you (internet people) who are fans of Damien Dempsey, who previously had zero knowledge of the Dubliners existance, have since become avid fans based purely on Damien Dempsey collaboration or whatever you want to call it. Answer honestly now!!!

its very unlikely anyone will fit this category seen as the dubliners are so well known..

But my knowledge of the dubliners songs have been extended thanks to damien dempsey singing songs that i never heard before such as the twang man, wexford town (pecker dunne), sullivans john, and a good few others... he also made me look back at songs i dismissed years ago as ' not my thing' such as school days over and a rainy night in soho..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 manwith3butocks

Damo is one of the best and most intense performers I have ever seen! I'm gonna see him Dec 3rd in the Radisson Galway. He's playing a charity solo gig there, with all his fees going to the charity Preda. You don't see many performers doing that these days! I've never seen him play solo either, so should be class. :)

• Advertisement

I would say the vast majority of Damien Dempsey fans were not aware of The Night Visiting Song, School Days Over, Johnny Jump Up etc. as they are not the first songs people associate with the Dubliners or Luke Kelly. I don't believe for a second that he released any album for money or greater recognition. Look at a video of him singing live and you will struggle to find any performer other than Luke Kelly or Christy Moore that sing with such passion and love for what they do.

If he wanted to be George Murphy he would have recorded Dirty Old Town, The Irish Rover, Molly Malone, Rare Old Times etc. Instead he recorded songs that your average Irish person (shamefully imo) doesn't know whatsoever.

He's one of the brightest lights in Irish music. Give him a break!

Advertisement