Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next

Options
  • 27-11-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

White to play - I (white) would like to win this but cannot see how

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

its a complex sequence to describe but theres a chance you could check your way into a more advantageous position starting with QC5->A7+ - taking the pawn on C6 should be easy enough after a bit of pressure on the king - you can also force a stalemate draw fairly easily - once u have that you will be off tempo but you will have both the bishop and the queen homing in on the G pawn - will force black to move defensively

to be honest it looks like a drawn game if black is sensible enough

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

I think white is winning. The key for white is not to allow the g pawn to be lost. Because the bishop is the wrong colour for the queening square of the h pawn, queenless endings will be drawn without the g4 pawn, and even with queens on, it will be extremely difficult to win.
    So white's first move should be either Qb4, Qc4 or h3.
    White's medium term plan should be to secure all his pieces without allowing a perpetual check, and then drive the black queen to a more passive square. It is currently very well placed on g5.
    I personally like the plan of white playing the Q to b4, then to e4 (tying black down to defending both the g6 and e5 pawns), and then playing Kg3 and h4. I think these subsequent positions are very hard for black to defend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

ahh the sweet smell of success :)

Qb4 was the move - he made the rest easy

Advertisement