Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to training :)

Options
  • 29-10-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Decided to join up to this to keep myself focused on my "running", I have been reading some of the other treads and they have really motivated me.

My background to running/jogging came about last year when I got the notion to start running, slowly but surely i got into a routine of running and early this year I signed myself up for the Flora womens mini marathon 10km run, training went well for it, as i was training on my own I wasn't pushing myself that hard, i completed it in 75mins which I was happy with considering the unexpected heatwave we got for it, after that i didn't really get back into running again until just under a month ago, I signed myself up for a 5km run which is on next sat, so far training is going only ok, iv only been running on the treadmil and upto 30min runs 3/4 times a week. i must still manage to brave the rain and go out on the road ,I think I might be a bit unrealistic but i'll do the 5km either way.

I am planning on signing up for a few 5km and 10km runs in 2010, but my main focus at the moment is to get out and run.....

So feel free to drop a line, give advise or feedback:)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs :)

Good luck with the 5k next Saturday, you might surprise yourself with how you'll do in a race situation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

This was my first proper week back into training, it went as;
    Sun 20 min run
    Mon Rest
    Tues 25min run
    Wend rest
    Thurs 30 min run
    Fri 30 min run
    Sat I had intended on going running but i was just too tired so decided to take it easy and will run tomorrow instead which I had planned as a rest day. Each of my runs also included a 5min warm up and 5 min cool down.

So far I am just focusing on getting out and running and will hopefully build up a pace soon, I'm thinking after christmas I will start of focusing on times and setting targets for myself but for now its all about getting out and doing it.

Feeling really positive after my first week:)!

woo hoo I just did my first run on the road, 23 minutes straight very excited about my little acheivement, the rain didn't stop me!! the last week I have just been running on the treadmil cos of the rain but managed to get out today "between showers" and felt great even if i did come back looking like i just climbed out of a swimming pool with all my clothes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Goldjogger thanks for the nice feedback on my logand best of luck with your own, good choice on not concentrating on times till the new year, I too am just realising the fact that a base is important so enjoy the 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Best of luck with the running, goldjogger. You just reminded me of my first run outside which I remember was quite intimidating as I was running with a group from a rowing club. I managed about one mile before I thought I was going to pass out. 'I'll never be able to do this,' I remember thinking. I finished dead last and was pretty disgusted with myself! But, I stuck with it, and a year or two later when running with those same guys, I was usually leading them home. So, I hope you have similar success in achieving your goals! The 5k is a great start! Well done for getting back outside!

• Advertisement

After such as positive week last week this week hasnt been so great, on sunday I did my first outdoors run in a long time, monday and tuesday my right quad was slightly pulling so decided to rest it, wednesday it was much better but when i was warming up i could feel it pulling again so decided best not to run on it, 3 days out of my training :(, yesterday i did manage a 2mile walk but could feel the quad again, the 5km doesnt seem doable now as i was hoping to have some more running done, I dont want to cause more harm than good, so i might just get it checked out and from here until the new year focus on building up my base for running. disappointed but i'll keep it up. looking back maybe i did do too much running last week and i am thinking of maybe 3 days running and 2 days swimming??

Thanks for all the positive feedback aswel, i feel kinda bad for not running now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Goldjogger,
    Well done on getting started and hard luck on getting injured :( I think you are right not to risk doing any more damage just now. I know it's disappointing but there will be plenty of other races to aim for if you don't make this one.

so after a disappointing few weeks with little or no running done I feel like I am back to square 1 kinda. I am determined to get this running off to a good start and realised that I am a beginner runner and I think I might have pushed myself too hard at the start which wore me out and lost interest in going out running, I had been running 4-5 days a week. so now im re-startin at 3 days a week and building up my distance slowly and what feels right, and I have decided to do more runnin outdoors than on the treadmil as it gets borin starrin at a wall!!

So I need yer help to get out runnin outdoors, what do i wear in this weather?? it is really cold I dont have the right gear cos when I go out I layer up but get too hot I no its not proper gear that i'm wearing, so what type, brand etc should I invest in?? this is my first winter runnin so any advise would be great, cheers :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You actually don't need as many layers as you might think you do - if you have a jacket, a wicking long-sleeve t-shirt, and long tights you should be ok in most Irish winter weather - throw on a cheapo pair of Penneys gloves and a hat too (2 pairs of gloves for €1, 2 fleece hats for €2 - it's really disposable!).
    An awful lot of my stuff comes from the rare times when Aldi and Lidl have running gear on special, and most of my t-shirts are from races, so I don't spend a fortune on stuff.

sooo it has been a few weeks since i wrote on my log, part of the reason was that I felt I was going backwards and needed to get my training back in order.

It always seems to happen that I get a great burst of energy to training and I just go at it - no plan!! and no direction and end up just over training myself and losing motivation and a few weeks later go back at it again and so on, I had been running 20min runs but wearing myself out and I just wasnt progressing which was annoying cos I was out running.

At the end of Nov. I decided to do something about my failed attempts, I researched training plans on the internet and came across one that suited me. My weeks now go from thurs - thurs just cos it suits me.

My week of the 26th of Nov. I began my new training plan, it consist of 2-3 runs a week, the first 3 weeks were the same time wise and pace increased towards the end of the 2nd and 3rd wk.

10min walk, 10 min run, 10 min walk cool down and stretch

week 4 I actually couldn't run cos got stitches

week 5 (this week also christmas week) i picked up training again and by the end of the week I will be upto 15min run.

I'm now running at a pace that is comfortable for me, i feel good after each run and I am more confident in my running and ability. I have stopped making excuses and if the weather is bad im on the treadmil.

this training plan is until the start of Feb. where I hope to be running 35mins and at a comfortable pace,

My next plan is to sign up for a few 10km and short runs and continue with the running......

• Advertisement
Advertisement