Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

I just read the wikipedia page their now,it's broadcast from Budapest? How bizarre is their a reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭highnc

more "30 seconds thinking time", an absolutely pointless countdown clock.

now here comes the unofficial 30 mins thinking time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

cast_iron wrote: »
    In one complaint, the BAI claimed that one particular puzzle was too difficult, and that after examining the method used to derive the answer, it was highly unlikely that someone would have guessed the correct answer.

It's my first time posting here but I watched play tv pretty much since it started and id argue that most puzzles are too difficult and it was highly unlikely that someone would have guessed the correct answer.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

I wonder how many have thought of FIONA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yenraek

I thought of Fiona but now I am thinking Nuala...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I just read the wikipedia page their now,it's broadcast from Budapest? How bizarre is their a reason for this?
    The company that makes the show is based there. They hire presenters appropriate to the local market to present the show. It is uplinked by satellite and beamed to Ballymount where it is retransmitted by TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Bond-007 wrote: »
    All the papers will have it tomorrow. Vinnie Brawn's paper review tonight should be interesting. ;)
    Thanks Bond for all the great work you have done.:)

highnc wrote: »
    more "30 seconds thinking time", an absolutely pointless countdown clock.

now here comes the unofficial 30 mins thinking time!!
    Good call. Now almost 55 mins.
    Will probably do the hour. They seem to have adopted the principle of 1 hour max. with no call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yenraek

Only 21 entries last minute. Callers are getting really browned off now while the long delay continues.

Ciara

LINDA

That first game of the diamonds was very short. Before the complaints that would have been dragged out for most of the show. And a fantastic answer produced. Now we have a simple game (and many simple games over the past week) (to comply with complaints), and they are dragging it out too. And people are still ringing in and no open line. So they are still milking the public. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

Where did he get this teddy from. JG is a disgrace!

Live entries down to 21

Must be the same 21 calling that Yenraek mentioned about 12 mins ago

LINDA
    LUCAS
    and he's deliberately not mentioning an L

OLLIE to FRANK took 60 mins. approx.
    Currently FRANK to ? is +45 min. and counting.
    If they get a wrong answer in the next 15 mins. it can go all the way.
    ~~~~
    Valid answer at just over 50 mins.

SERBIA
    NEPAL
    ISRAEL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

what now?!?!

JcX5Z.jpg

It is interesting to read TV3s response to each complaint. Needless to say all of the complaints were upheld bar one that was invalid.

http://www.bai.ie/broadcasting_complaints_decisions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭andrew90

Just reading the article about play tv in irish daily mail. Tv3 response about complaints was
    This has all been rectified since the decisions of the board were made. The majority of the complaints were in relation to technical aspects of the show, which have been fixed since then.

Typical tv3 reply, them so called technical difficulties didn,t look rectified last night

Indeed. More complaints are needed!

Indeed. More complaints are needed!

as most of the decisions released yesterday were from the summer, i'm sure there's more to come!!

That is for sure. The pressure needs to be maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

so where did the 210 diamonds come from? Does anyone have a screenshot of the cards??

210????

there were 21 diamonds in diamonds (red in white) and 17 red diamonds showing in the corners??

I could only see red in white diamonds???

therefore 21 x 4 + 17 (possibly plus the small corners of some partially showing diamonds)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

just checked out the website. They really splashed out!!

RobbieM wrote: »
    so where did the 210 diamonds come from? Does anyone have a screenshot of the cards??

210????
    i was about to say 101 until a caller just got in there...so now i'm guessing 105

I guessed 105 but i forgot to pop on my special playTV 3D glasses which doubles up everything!!

100gSoma wrote: »
    what now?!?!

JcX5Z.jpg

It is interesting to read TV3s response to each complaint. Needless to say all of the complaints were upheld bar one that was invalid.

http://www.bai.ie/broadcasting_complaints_decisions.html
    What paper was that in?

What paper was that in?

Metro, Page 2

I counted 102...I felt that each diamond had 3 within the main diamond.
    Why can't they tell us the method they used to solve the game in the Solutions Page???? That is normal with all quizzies...magazines/newspapers etc.
    And as regards 1 complaint not being upheld because of the driver on the bus. Maybe he was a onelegged driver and had hand controls?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The Indo had a piece:
    TV quiz 'unfair and misleading'

A controversial late night television quiz show has been denounced as unfair and misleading by the country's broadcasting watchdog. TV3's premium rate phone-in programme Play TV drew complaints by viewers who said they weren't put through, despite calling in several times at a cost of 1.50 euro for each call.
    Others claimed the answers to some puzzles were too obscure and that the show misrepresented how much prize money was actually on offer.
    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) upheld 16 out of 17 complaints against the programme made over the summer.
    After an investigation, it found although viewers were told occasionally that not all calls get through to the studio, there was no indication of what the chances are of getting through were. Some viewers complained they were trying to get through to the show at a time when the presenter was saying that no-one was ringing in.
    "In the opinion of the commission, the format of presentation and the techniques used in the course of the broadcast amounted to the quiz being conducted unfairly," said the BAI.
    In another show, during which viewers were invited to add up numbers, it was found the quiz was presented on-air as being easily solvable "when in fact this was not the case".
    The method used to total up the figures - which was seen by the BAI during its inquiry - was such that it was "highly unlikely" a caller would get the right answer, it was found.
    "The nature and presentation of this game was unfair," the BAI said.
    The BAI said it was disappointed TV3 had chosen to reply in general terms to the individual complaints rather than deal with the specific issues raised.
    Press Association
    and The Irish Times:
    Game show complaints upheld

All 16 complaints upheld by the Broadcasting Complaints Commission in its latest report involve the controversial Play TV game show aired on TV3.
    The late-night premium-rate show encourages viewers to phone in and solve puzzles to win money. Calls cost €1.50, whether the caller is put through to the studio or not. The BCC described the quiz as “unfair” and “misleading” and said there was a lack of transparency about being connected to the open line in the studio. One complainant said it was “a grossly unfair method of entering a competition, whereby you ring in, answer a simple question and then get cut off 99.99 per cent of the time without the entry being recorded or entered”.

looks like boring spot the differences for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

cast_iron

why was the last paragraph from the Indo not in your post

ie the part where TV3 were ignorant of what was said and implying that the show has been reviewed and altered etc?

except that it hasn't TV3 and the same response you gave the paper is similar to the responses you give to the general public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

as most of the decisions released yesterday were from the summer, i'm sure there's more to come!!

I'm sure there will be an tidal wave of complaints heading their way from the last 3 months. The question is though, would they be enough to get the show punted off the air? Seems TV3 are being (in the words of darts commentator Sid Waddell) "as slippery as Houdini in a Vaseline factory" when it comes to doing something about all the faults.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement