Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10% off at thebookdepository.co.uk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Got some good stocking fillers there with that code.
    thanks very much op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You'd be cheaper at Amazon though even with the 10% discount (especially if you order more than 25 pounds worth). See this price comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

bookdepository are sly dogs,if you view from an irish ip the price is greater than a uk ip. I'd look for a proxy and then use the code

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

The Book Depository used to be good value until they changed their pricing for Ireland.

For example look at this book via a uk proxy compared to the irish price (both in GBP).

Better off with Amazon these days in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I wouldn't use a proxy to place an order with my credit card and other details !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

It depends on the books in fairness so it pays to shop around with both. I've had my eye on a textbook for a while, £50 on amazon but £46 on TBD. I was waiting on a voucher to buy it so now I've saved nearly £10 on the amazon price.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Ogham wrote: »
    I wouldn't use a proxy to place an order with my credit card and other details !!

Sorry - I should've said that myself. Dont even attempt to order via that proxy! (I dont think it would even work either)

I put up the links to highlight the hidden price difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As long as the site uses SSL encryption, then is shouldn't be a problem ordering through a proxy.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

ronano wrote: »
    bookdepository are sly dogs,if you view from an irish ip the price is greater than a uk ip. I'd look for a proxy and then use the code

Yeah just noticed that.

Was looking at offers on Hot Uk Deals, books for 3.59 there were showing up as 5.18.

Once again another travesty of "free shipping worldwide"

By the way, could someone pm me a link that explains how to change your country by proxy and whatnot.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Thanks OP! However, to echo some other comments here about TBD pulling a "play.com" on us with their "special" euro pricing, I just priced up a bunch of books on thebookdepository and also on amazon.co.uk - thebookdepository was 77 euro with that 10% discount, amazon.co.uk was 71 euro (63.5 stg -- over 25 quid and therefore with free shipping.)

Maybe TBD makes sense if you're just ordering one or two books, but I'll give them a skip this time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Talisman

Isn't the .com site usually cheaper than the .co.uk site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Talisman wrote: »
    Isn't the .com site usually cheaper than the .co.uk site?

It varies. Sometimes it's the other way around, but you need to check both for the best price. If you're only buying 1 book, one of TBD sites is almost always cheaper than Amazon - unless it's an expensive book that passes Amazon's free postage level.

The price comparison link given above is inaccurate, as it chooses the most expensive price between the 2 book depository websites, ignoring the cheaper one. When the other site and Amazon shipping is factored in, TBD will usually be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

jayteecork wrote: »
    Yeah just noticed that.

Was looking at offers on Hot Uk Deals, books for 3.59 there were showing up as 5.18.

Once again another travesty of "free shipping worldwide"

By the way, could someone pm me a link that explains how to change your country by proxy and whatnot.

Thanks.

couldn't you just switch the currency to £stg?

Advertisement