Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Something to cheer up Westtip, Nostradamus and DWCommuter - according to the IRN website the Westport timber trains are to cease running from next month. Another source of freight for the WRC bites the dust. Good old CIE/IE they'll soon sort out Ballina too - can't be having pesky lorries cluttering up towns with freight traffic to railheads.

WTF! I am not happy about this at all. Being anti-Parish Pump Rail has nothing to do with being anti-railfreight. The freight argument with the WRC was always a locosexual red herring.

I want to see as much freight on the rail network as possible. Always have, but on one condition:

It only runs at night and must not compromise the passenger service. This includes dodgy locomotives which could break down and screw up morning commuter services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

grrr..IRN...what a frustrating website that is...very badly planned and laid out and impossible to navigate. I almost never go on there now since its last "improvement"...wont let me log in either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

What we are getting and what we could have got! I think these two pics are interesting and show the wasted opportunity there has been with the WRC so far - I certainly believe if things do go ahead on the northern section the friends of WOT in the green party should look at what can be done, the runaway train is in fact a shot taken appparently last Sunday on the section just outside Ennis - now imagine my greenway running alongside; it would have done more for tourism in that area than this rail line ever will!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The fun police (er - rail safety commission) would probably want a Berlin Wall dividing the line from the path in that picture in case of a derailment while a pack of cub scouts were walking the line :rolleyes:

Edit - this picture is from the same site as the first one uploaded by westtip. The picture is between Ennis and Gort. Interesting number of accommodation crossings - what's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

about greenways , a fantastic idea. As we speak the old line from newport to mulranny is being hardcored. Imagine the surprise of driving down a winding country lane and suddenly coming across a lovely straight stretch of greenway. On mature reflection this is probably the way to go for the rest of the line and many others like it.With luck they will eventually extend it from westport to achill.

• Advertisement

unit 1 wrote: »
    about greenways , a fantastic idea. As we speak the old line from newport to mulranny is being hardcored. Imagine the surprise of driving down a winding country lane and suddenly coming across a lovely straight stretch of greenway. On mature reflection this is probably the way to go for the rest of the line and many others like it.With luck they will eventually extend it from westport to achill.

Concrete bollards at the point greenways cross roads is the simple solution for more pics take a look at this .pdf file from sustrans scroll through the document to see greenways by rail lines - This stretch of rail line and the next section of the WRC is a massive wasted oppportunity not to go down this route.

http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/resources/guidelines%206.pdf

Item 6.2 page 46 on the pdf which loads up - its just makes common sense, but there you go I have been hammering on about this opportunity now for god knows how long.....

dowlingm wrote: »
    The fun police (er - rail safety commission) would probably want a Berlin Wall dividing the line from the path in that picture in case of a derailment while a pack of cub scouts were walking the line :rolleyes:

Edit - this picture is from the same site as the first one uploaded by westtip. The picture is between Ennis and Gort. Interesting number of accommodation crossings - what's that about?

Yes we woudl be incapable of having a common sense solution and a small wire fence, with a rail track one side and walkway the other side, like when was the last time a train derailed on a straight stretch of track - alas it would take probably ten years of enquiries to decide that this is done all over the place and no one comes to any harm.

Re the pic from Ennis to Gort - the pic has been uploaded from one of the Tspotters on IRN - I have got a feeling we are talking about access from one farmers field to his field on t'other side of the track - now that presents some interesting thoughts re safety......potential time delays etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

unit 1 wrote: »

With the way things are going it will soon be a greenway all the way to Heuston. :D

corktina wrote: »
    grrr..IRN...what a frustrating website that is...very badly planned and laid out and impossible to navigate. I almost never go on there now since its last "improvement"...wont let me log in either.....

you have to be vetted as a train spotter first - anything challenging and you will be out - Look what happened to others. Mind it is interesting to look at it really does make fascinating viewing. some of those pics of freight trains moving logs across ireland are really something else - there really are guys waiting around on a Tuesday to take shots like that.....the whole thing is quite astonishing.
    With the way things are going it will soon be a greenway all the way to Heuston. :D

Jd leave it out you know full well that is not going to happen.....Mind you the way CIE run the business you never know...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

As I said long ago in this thread CIE had no drivers last year which fact would impair its ability to provide any service from Galway to Limerick .

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9602-further-delay-reopening-county-railway-stations
    November 11, 2009 - 4:18pm

The re-opening of five train stations in the county has been dealt another blow as driver training is taking longer than expected.

Gort, Craughwell, Ardrahan, Oranmore and Tuam stations were due to re-open in Galway in August, but planning at the Gort station resulted in huge delays.

The opening of these stations is part of the re-opening of the western rail corridor, which will run from Sligo to Limerick.

A spokesperson for Iarnród Eireann has confirmed that driver training on the route is taking longer than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Driver training is only starting now after the signalling was tested by a locomotive following clearance by the RSC.

This has nothing to do with the (alleged) non-availability of drivers.

KC61 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the (alleged) non-availability of drivers.

With a ban on recruitment in any state body, natural attrition of drivers through retirement etc, Like Spongebob, I do wonder how it is being done....Perhaps they have stumbled upon that sidings shed somewhere on the network in which 10 or so drivers have been sitting by the woodburner drinking tea and having a fag for the past 30 years, only stirring to go home at the end of each shift - unless they were doing overtime of course.....and could stay for a few more cuppas and then the only stirring they did was the sugar in the mug.

this has nothing to do with non availability of drivers. These would be existing drivers having to learn the route.They obviously cannot do this until its finished and usable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So has anyone seen a train on it yet with feckin L plates ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

westtip wrote: »
    What we are getting and what we could have got! I think these two pics are interesting and show the wasted opportunity there has been with the WRC so far - I certainly believe if things do go ahead on the northern section the friends of WOT in the green party should look at what can be done, the runaway train is in fact a shot taken appparently last Sunday on the section just outside Ennis - now imagine my greenway running alongside; it would have done more for tourism in that area than this rail line ever will!!

This does look really well. Its a shame we missed a chance to put this in place.

glineli wrote: »
    This does look really well. Its a shame we missed a chance to put this in place.

thanks Glineli -

It should be pointed out to the F'ing Green party - they are the ones who have ensured the WRC stays in the programme for government - mind the Athenry - Tuam section will not actually form part of any capital spends in the lifetime of this government - why - well you only had to watch the news tonight - there is no money!

it's rather a good execution of use of land don't you think did you look at the .pdf brochure on greenways from Sustrans for -other pics and stories about the parallel greenways alongside rail lines - an idea that would work perfectly for the WRC -In fact if WOT realised it - it woudl actually incease usage - bike it or walk it one way - train it the other way (of course if IE let you put your bike on the train shouldn't be a problem on the WRC - as most of them will be empty)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

thanks Glineli -

It should be pointed out to the F'ing Green party - they are the ones who have ensured the WRC stays in the programme for government - mind the Athenry - Tuam section will not actually form part of any capital spends in the lifetime of this government - why - well you only had to watch the news tonight - there is no money!

it's rather a good execution of use of land don't you think did you look at the .pdf brochure on greenways from Sustrans for -other pics and stories about the parallel greenways alongside rail lines - an idea that would work perfectly for the WRC -In fact if WOT realised it - it woudl actually incease usage - bike it or walk it one way - train it the other way (of course if IE let you put your bike on the train shouldn't be a problem on the WRC - as most of them will be empty)

Its a simple yet brilliant idea. I spent some time in a small town outside Frankfurt and the greenways were fantastic. You could run or cycle beside the track and as you say, get the train back. So simple

Is it too late or is it something that could be done easily enough?

This idea westtip along with the new bus terminals beside motorways are simple but add so much value to the rail/road network its amazing that no one has run with it. Fair play and keep the good ideas coming

glineli wrote: »
    Its a simple yet brilliant idea. I Fair play and keep the good ideas coming

Many thanks for those kind comments Glineli: You have prompted me to pass out another idea for the WRC - which I do not claim credit for - it is an idea which comes from a columnist in the Sligo Champion and Lecturer in tourism economics in Sligo IT Felim O'Rourke.

A few questions first

Would Sligo and towns along the WRC north of Claremorris benefit from having piped natural gas:

Would they benefit more from this more than say - a slow railway line connecting them?

Would they benefit from a piece of tourism infrastructure that would bring hungry tired tourists into their hotels shops B&Bs and pubs?

Would they also benefit from a high quality technical communications cabling infrastructure being laid along the alignment?

So - Why not only use the Claremorris - Collooney alignment as a greenway but also lay a natural gas pipeline along the alignment to supply these towns to bring corrib gas to these towns and villages?

The benefits of natural gas as an energy resource are well established - in particular in the food processing industry.

So if you lived in say Tubercurry, Kiltimagh etc and given a preference:

A single track rail line that will offer a limited rail service.

A Gas pipeline for your town and a first class walking/cycling leisure/tourism infrastucture on your doorstep. (plus the high quality communications network connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So if you lived in say Tubercurry, Kiltimagh etc and given a preference:

A single track rail line that will offer a limited rail service.

A Gas pipeline for your town and a first class walking/cycling leisure/tourism infrastucture on your doorstep. (plus the high quality communications network connection)

unbelievably, Kiltimagh already has a high quality communications network: http://www.enet.ie/images/kiltimagh2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

loyatemu wrote: »
    unbelievably, Kiltimagh already has a high quality communications network: http://www.enet.ie/images/kiltimagh2.jpg

Yes, but they are still gnawing grass while a dead baby suckles on a dry breast as they are downloading at high speed.

Only a empty train over Swinford viaduct will stop this.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »

And is the town going to get natural gas from Corrib? It maybe I don't know -and why not add to the telecoms network? or is the train from Kiltimagh to Tubbercurry that important??? And how many tourists arrive in Kilitmagh by foot or on a bike, hungry tired and thirsty?

OK apparently this thread is far too political so here is some basic information

Working things out from the convulated way in which IE are giving information on their timetables rather than actually producing a WRC timetable - which ye think after all the broohaha there has been they would have done this - but perhaps trying to hide the truth is their intent they have left it us to try and work it out from the timetables loaded up on their site:

So I reckon using the information here and here

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Limerick%2010.pdf

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Galway%2010.pdf

This is the WRC timetable from "sometime in January 2009" for Limerick to Galway (A distance of some 60 miles by road), read down the columns by way

Limerick >0600 >>0935>>11.55>>14.15>>18.05
    Ennis >0640 >>10.14>>12.34>>14.54>>18.44
    Athenry >0808 >>11.19>>13.35>>15.56>>19.45
    Galway >0825 >>11.34>>13.51>>16.13>>20.00

journey times 2 hours 25 in the morning "rush" hour

Other trains just under 2 hours.

think I have read these right others may want to look. I have not looked at the Galway - Limerick timetable.

OK apparently this thread is far too political so here is some basic information

Working things out from the convulated way in which IE are giving information on their timetables rather than actually producing a WRC timetable - which ye think after all the broohaha there has been they would have done this - but perhaps trying to hide the truth is their intent they have left it us to try and work it out from
    the timetables loaded up on their site:

So I reckon using the information here and here

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Limerick%2010.pdf

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Galway%2010.pdf

This is the WRC timetable from "sometime in January 2009" for Limerick to Galway (A distance of some 60 miles by road), read down the columns by way

think I have read these right others may want to look. I have not looked at the Galway - Limerick timetable.

For all the stuff in black, thanks westtip.

the red stuff is what muddies this thread and makes it hard to read.

For all the stuff in black, thanks westtip.

the red stuff is what muddies this thread and makes it hard to read.

The red stuff is what makes this thread so bloody entertaining! whichever way you think about the WRC, but accept sometimes it is complete bollox a lot of which I write myself.~Anyway againg using the two timetables provided by IE, IK work it out that the Galway - Limerick time table will be:

Galway> 0640 >>0945>>12.10>>14.30>>17.25
    Athenry> 0656>>10.03>>12.26>>14.47>>1741
    Ennis> 0800>>11.08>>13.28>>15.48>>18.44
    L'rick> 0839>>11.48>>14.08>>16.25>>19.24

Near as dam it two hours from Galway to Limerick for each train, any comments folks political or practical or will anyone see it as adding great value to their lives?

Two hours to travel 60 miles; somehow I think this timetable has killed the project off from day one....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, the ferries seem to be running well in Craughwell today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

westtip - I provided this timetable on this thread 2 weeks ago :D

i was amused to see "another forum" quoting a journey time of 1 hour 50 mins.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote: »
    i was amused to see "another forum" quoting a journey time of 1 hour 50 mins.....
    Remember the timetable is padded - but they'll use that padding anyway.

they were allso eulogising about the old days when there was 23 stops on the line or similar:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Time to break-out the Ian Allan trainspotters guides, anoraks and ginger beer - the Fossils IRRS are running a tour to the WRC on the 20th March 2010 see here: http://www.irrs.ie/Common%20Files/PFProgramme%20Dublin.htm

As they have 'an inside track' on these matters perhaps the WRC will really be open by then but interestingly the blurb doesn't specify whether the trip is by service train/special train or bus. Given present weather conditions it may even be by boat....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement