Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi 2.0l tdi, 120bhp

Options
  • 09-11-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys. Just looking for some opinions here. Am thinking of buying a 09 2.0 l audi a4, 120 bhp. Just looking for some opinions from anyone who owns one or from anyone who is just in the know!;) What would the power be like? 120bhp - would the car be a bit sluggish considering the size of it? Any opinions greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

FOR The A4 is roomy and is good to drive. Ownership costs are competitive and resale values should be high.
    AGAINST The looks are unadventurous and the dash fussy. BMW's 3 Series is more fun to drive.

got this from whatcar.co.uk

i think it's a fine piece of kit....Drive safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

120bhp is pathetic for a car the A4's size and weight. Really, a waste of space...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Its no slower than a 1.9TDi 90bhp Passat. Or a 105bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I looked at a 06 A4 when buying my last car, and decided against it in favor of my current 06 Passat on the basis that:

- The Passat is much bigger and roomier.. especially where rear leg-room and boot is concerned
    - The interior was nicer/more modern inside - the A4 was laid out like my 02 Passat
    - The Passat had the 2.0 TDI (140 Bhp) engine with the DSG box
    - The Passat was cheaper and offered better value for money

Now I know there's a newer A4 since this, but it looks to be more of a minor facelift to me? If you are keen on it though I'd get one with more power though. Even my old 02 1.9 TDI Passat had 130 bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 120 isn't as slow as it sounds, it's a really flexible torquey engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 120 isn't as slow as it sounds, it's a really flexible torquey engine.

It actually feels faster than a 130ps Insignia, and its not far behind a 160ps either, believe it or not.

120bhp is plenty in the A4. Its not actually much bigger than a Passat, and they've been sold for donkey years with a 105bhp engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yup, I drove an IS220d and one of these back to back, the A4 doesn't feel like 60bhp less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dakota2

I have the 120 bhp model. Bought it back in june. It has plenty of torque and a pleasure to drive. Test drove the insignia aswell as the 3 series, no real difference in the power as far as i could see. Econonmy is fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

pburns wrote: »
    120bhp is pathetic for a car the A4's size and weight. Really, a waste of space...

Power gives you max speed, torque gives acceleration.

It's in-gear acceleration that's important today, not max speed or 0-60 times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

It actually feels faster than a 130ps Insignia, and its not far behind a 160ps either, believe it or not.

120bhp is plenty in the A4. Its not actually much bigger than a Passat, and they've been sold for donkey years with a 105bhp engine.

The 115hp 1.9tdi audi A4 is a bullet to accelerate. I can imagine that this 120hp would be even more awesome. You must take into consideration as well if your going for more power you are going to get less miles to the gallon. A very important point to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

teednab-el wrote: »
    The 115hp 1.9tdi audi A4 is a bullet to accelerate. I can imagine that this 120hp would be even more awesome. You must take into consideration as well if your going for more power you are going to get less miles to the gallon. A very important point to consider.

I wouldn't say its a bullet :rolleyes:

Thats not true about the power to economy thing either, the 2.0TDI is frugal in both 140bhp and 170bhp forms, and likewise other marques offer high powered economical diesels.

TBH its ill informed posts like that that give TDI and diesel fans a bad name around here.

I'm a diesel fan and I drive a TDI, but lets get serious here, a 120bhp diesel A4 is going to be perfectly adequately powered, but rather far from 'awesome'.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah come on lad, 115bhp or 120bhp is not a bullet unless you are just after stepping out of a 1.4 Golf or Focus. An RS4 TDi is where the power is. :)

And more power doesn't necessarily mean less fuel economy. A more powerful engine will have less effort or work to do than a lesser one that struggles to pull the heavy body around it. But at the end of the day though if you have a heavy right foot you will have poor fuel economy whether it be petrol or diesel.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ah come on lad, 115bhp or 120bhp is not a bullet unless you are just after stepping out of a 1.4 Golf or Focus. An RS4 TDi is where the power is. :)

And more power doesn't necessarily mean less fuel economy. A more powerful engine will have less effort or work to do than a lesser one that struggles to pull the heavy body around it. But at the end of the day though if you have a heavy right foot you will have poor fuel economy whether it be petrol or diesel.

a bigger and more powerful engine will drink more juice though.

PaulKK wrote: »
    I wouldn't say its a bullet :rolleyes:

Thats not true about the power to economy thing either, the 2.0TDI is frugal in both 140bhp and 170bhp forms, and likewise other marques offer high powered economical diesels.

TBH its ill informed posts like that that give TDI and diesel fans a bad name around here.

I'm a diesel fan and I drive a TDI, but lets get serious here, a 120bhp diesel A4 is going to be perfectly adequately powered, but rather far from 'awesome'.

well I thought it was fast for a diesel but again I havent driven any audi bigger than 115hp so Im open for correction.

Btw Im not giving diesels a bad name or anything.

As a matter of interest have you driven one?

a bigger and more powerful engine will drink more juice though.

Not entirely, it really depends on the power to weight ratio of the car/engine in question. As I said a large engine with little or no effort required to push a car around maybe nearly as economical as a small engine which struggles to push the same car.

As a matter of interest have you driven one?

Yes I have, a 2.0 TDi PD 140bhp in the old A4 and Passat, it feels quick enough like most diesels do due to the nature of their power delivery but nothing to get excited about.

To put it in contrast, my Volvo S40 is only 1.6 diesel, has 110bhp but is definately not quick.

Not entirely, it really depends on the power to weight ratio of the car/engine in question. As I said a large engine with little or no effort required to push a car around maybe nearly as economical as a small engine which struggles to push the same car.

What about engine weight? Are bigger engines not heavier than smaller ones?

To put it in contrast, my Volvo S40 is only 1.6 diesel, has 110bhp but is definately not quick.

completely different engine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've driven a few of the A4 120ps models and I'm surprised by how good it is.

120ps doesn't sound a lot for a diesel car in today's market, but it's adequate. Has the same pull as the more powerful 2.0Tdi versions, but doesn't have the wallop of torque they deliver.

Haven't done a decent run in one, but I'd imagine they sip fuel on long journey's. Newer versions have the start/stop technology that BMW have so should be fairly decent around town as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's a good deal smaller than a Passat.

Biro wrote: »
    It's a good deal smaller than a Passat.

Is it?

Passat - 1,472mm high, 1,820mm wide, 4,765mm long.

A4 - 1,427mm high, 1,826mm wide, 4,703mm long

Similar height and width and less than 1cm in difference in length. Wouldn't class that as a good deal smaller - I'd say same size.

completely different engine though.

Doesn't matter. There's feck all between them, and even the 170bhp A4 isn't a bullet nor is it awesome.
    The 120bhp A4 actually doesn't feel that much different from the 140bhp version, it's a better engine than the old 1.9 range. It's the A6 that really suffers from this engine though, too weak for an A6.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Is it?

Passat - 1,472mm high, 1,820mm wide, 4,765mm long.

A4 - 1,427mm high, 1,826mm wide, 4,703mm long

Similar height and width and less than 1cm in difference in length. Wouldn't class that as a good deal smaller - I'd say same size.

6.2 cm's isn't the same as "less than 1cm" no matter what angle you look at the equation from! And 4.5cm higher. Interior feels much roomier in the Passat. More back seat space.
    In any case the original phrase of "not much bigger than a Passat" is completely incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

FFS, ye're splitting hairs over a couple of inches. Grow up.

Keira, take one for a test drive, and see how you feel about it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The 115hp 1.9tdi audi A4 is a bullet to accelerate.

hahahahahahahahaha.

good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Has the same pull as the more powerful 2.0Tdi versions, but doesn't have the wallop of torque they deliver

They not the same thing ? Pull and Torque that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

2 Espressi wrote: »
    FFS, ye're splitting hairs over a couple of inches. Grow up.

Excuse you. Pedantic discussion is a cornerstone of motors:p

They not the same thing ? Pull and Torque that is.

Kinda......but I'm not very technical, or good at explaining things.

It's a very similar power delivery up to about 2500rpm. The 120 version keeps linear from there until it runs out of puff (3500 ish) but the 140 version brings a bang of torque around that point getting to the 3500rpm quicker. 170 version is a wallop of torque around the same spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

What are the engine sizes and bhp in the diesel audi a4 b7 model?

Advertisement