Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And Another Thing...the sixth book of the trilogy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Zaph wrote: »
    Just remember, I can siteban you now... ;)

No Zaff.

You only think you're in power. Your real purpose is to divert the attention from those who actually are!

We searched long and hard for someone vain and stupid enough to play the part, at which you are supremely good!

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

takola wrote: »
    No Zaff.

You only think you're in power. Your real purpose is to divert the attention from those who actually are!

We searched long and hard for someone vain and stupid enough to play the part, at which you are supremely good!

D'ya reckon he's ordered the extra head yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Steve wrote: »
    D'ya reckon he's ordered the extra head yet? :D

A second head would be a good idea so that he could distribute the "power" between the two of them. (Spread the happiness) :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Haven't bothered with the second head yet, but the third arm is very handy for allowing me to scratch my ass while I comtinue to type this. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just remember, I can siteban you now... ;)
    Stop threatening to siteban people.
    Haven't bothered with the second head yet, but the third arm is very handy for allowing me to scratch my ass while I comtinue to type this. :P

That's attractive.

I'd been planning the five part trilogy for awhile and as the release of the 6th book loomed I thought, great, I'll read the first 5 and then move on to the latest one.

I take it that I should just stick with the first 5? :D

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »
    Stop threatening to siteban people.

I've only threatened a couple of people so far. Feeling left out?
    That's attractive.

I knew you'd like that. :D
    I'd been planning the five part trilogy for awhile and as the release of the 6th book loomed I thought, great, I'll read the first 5 and then move on to the latest one.

As far as I'm concerned there are only 5 books in the trilogy. As takola said previously, the new book can be written off as bad fan fiction.

I've only threatened a couple of people so far. Feeling left out?
    No, you already refused to siteban me. :(
    I knew you'd like that. :D

Indeed. Who are the moderators in here? This thread has gone horribly off topic.

:p
    As far as I'm concerned there are only 5 books in the trilogy. As takola said previously, the new book can be written off as bad fan fiction.

And have you finished the book yet? I must borrow the first one from you.

And have you finished the book yet? I must borrow the first one from you.

Not yet, it's a struggle, but I'll get there.

Remind me about the other book next weekend.

Not yet, it's a struggle, but I'll get there.

Remind me about the other book next weekend.
    You can either read the 6th book tomorrow evening or do your ironing. Which will you choose?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

*opens guide*

*looks up domestic arguments*

"best avoided"

• Advertisement

You can either read the 6th book tomorrow evening or do your ironing. Which will you choose?

Not great choices really, are they? :(

Steve wrote: »
    *opens guide*

*looks up domestic arguments*

"best avoided"

We are far too smug to argue. :p
    Not great choices really, are they? :(

Ironing it is.

At long last - I've finally managed to finish the book!!!

Thankfully that's an experience I'll never have to relive because I'll never open that book again. It was one of the most turgid, badly written, badly researched, steaming piles of sh*te I've had the misfortune to read in a very long time. Only for the fact of what it was I'd have given up on it a very long time ago. Read it if you must, but don't say I didn't warn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭seagull

I'd leave it at the first 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

And Another thing should have in big friendly letters on the front cover

D O N ' T B O T H E R

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ttm wrote: »
    And Another thing should have in big friendly letters on the front cover

D O N ' T B O T H E R

Oh you never know, perhaps someday the true joke shall be revealed, when Colfer unleashes a four word press release about the book, simply stating:
    Sorry for the inconvenience
    (Also: haven't read it yet!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

So I finally decided I would read the book after all, despite what I'd read here.
    Overall verdict is that it was poor, mostly by trying too hard to be as Adams-like as possible, but going way too far over the mark.
    Not one single giggle was had from the book which was disappointing, though tbh probably not surprising as the the 5th book was also 100% mirth free.
    The diddly-aye Irish references were embarrassing to say the least.

Overall, 2/10, an utterly pointless addition to the trilogy.
    :(

I should have just taken your collective word for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'm guessing you're giving it 2 points because it had a nice cover.

I enjoyed the fifth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

0.5 for the cover, 0.5 for punctuation and spelling, and 1 because the Eoin Colfer blurb was kept short.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What a bunch of Fanboys!
    I really enjoyed it, ok, so it wasn't Adams at his best, mostly because the man is dead, Colfer did an otherwise grand job of picking up where Mostly Harmless left off.
    Not sure what people really wanted, reminds me of the fanboy losers wailing about the movie and how it was so different to their beloved radio/tv/book version of the tale, despite there being no definitive version of the story, just reiterations to suit the media.

Here, in And Another Thing, we have a fine attempt to continue the tales of out intrepid heroes and I really enjoyed every bit of it, especially Zaphod heading to Asgard, great fun.
    Sure the story wasn't on the same level of genius as the first, well, three books anyway, but then it isn't Douglas, but it is the next thing.

So don't such an Ix, be more a laid back hoopy frood, surely the last thing people should be doing in getting precious about Hitchhiker, be more of a Ford and less of an Arthur!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn, you're as entitled as everyone else to give your opinion but ease up on the name calling please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the only thing I possibly accused anyone of was being a fanboy, I didn't use any other language at all.
    I was "reminded" of people who hated the movie, but didn't accuse any of the posters here of being "losers" at all.
    If you want me to withdraw those comments then fine, consider it done.

That said, people do have a habit of getting incredibly possessive of their favourite book, and I understand, I have read Hitchhiker since it was published many times, I have the tv series, I have the radio series all the way up to the most recent Quintessential Phase, so I have just as good a set of credentials as anyone else here to have an opinion on this.

You see, Douglas himself had a problem with people always wanting some fixed, best version of Ford and Arthurs travels, but there isn't one, for some it's the books, for some it's the radio, some the TV and, I'm sure, there are people who loved the movie.

Now with And Another Thing we have a new take, if Colfer had stuck slavishly to Adams' style of prose people would be quick to criticise it, so instead we have a Hitchhiker book, with the familiar characters in a story told through the prism of Colfers imagination, now people are free to like it or not, but it seems to me that the bulk of literary opinion enjoyed it and it as been left to forum dwellers, who eat sleep and breathe the Hitchhiker books to mount this revolt against the book, mostly because it's not an Adams book.
    Well, pity about you, it couldn't ever be that book, what it is is a fun telling of the aftermath of Mostly Harmless, and it takes into account the movement of technology, why not, it refers to someone as Froody, so what, Ford is froody, it's what one can say to a hoopy frood to express your admiration at their froodiness!

So, people here don't like it, well, I'm here and I like it, and simply type the words "And Another Thing" and "Review" into your search engine and you'l come up with dozens of reviews from people who also loved it, and soem of them get paid to review books, so I reckon they may know something about it.

Here's a few
    http://techland.com/2009/10/12/and-another-thing-by-eoin-colfer-you-know-the-hitchhikers-sequel-is-improbably-good/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/oct/11/and-another-thing-douglas-adams
    http://www.graspingforthewind.com/2009/10/10/book-review-and-another-thing-by-eoin-colfer/
    http://contemporarylit.about.com/od/sciencefictionreviews/fr/and-another-thing.htm
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/and-another-thing-by-eoin-colfer-1807158.html

Although from the tone of the bulk of the posts here I don't suppose many of you will be interested one jot in any of them.....

Now, that's the ant nest poked with a stick, now we watch and wait....

"Now the world has gone to bed,
    Darkness won't engulf my head,
    I can see by infra-red,
    How I hate the night."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not sure what people really wanted, reminds me of the fanboy losers wailing about the movie and how it was so different to their beloved radio/tv/book version of the tale, despite there being no definitive version of the story, just reiterations to suit the media.

I quite liked the film even though it wasn't particularly funny. But I really didn't like And Another Thing. It's not just that I didn't find it funny at all, but there were so many little things that struck me as contrived about it that it was very difficult to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I really wanted to like this book. Another author taking up the baton doesn't bother me, as Douglas was happy to get a Python to write Starship Titanic for him.

I can't get into it. I've tried to read it about 10 times and every time I stop after a few pages. Crowbarring in phrases from previous books is annoying. The "guide notes" are, mostly, bland and humourless. The text doesn't flow properly at all for me, I had to push myself to read each page. After owning the book from the first day of publication, I've reached page 74.

Haven't been so disappointed by a book in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

takola wrote: »
    I doubt there are many people with Adams' dry wit. :D

Yes there are very few of us left.

Advertisement