Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Irish Infrastructure Photos & Videos

• 31-10-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Wind turbines on the outskirts of Kitzingen, NW Bavaria, Germany. These are very visible from the A3 autobahn.
    DSCF6519.jpg

A typical country road in Bavaria. This particular one, the St2258, is called the Steigerwald Hohenstrasse, and goes between Eltmann and Ebrach. Note the absense of a fence, crash barrier, or boundary hedge. This is very typical.
    DSCF7306.jpg

The A9 through Thuringia. One of Germany's first autobahns, this connects Berlin and Munich. The section photgraphed is by far the poorest I drove when I was in Germany last July: the surface was bumpy, it had no emergency lanes, and the speed limit was 130 km/h. Most of the rest of the A9, however, is of a very high standard.
    DSCF7270.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Furet, the last picture, this must be nearly a century old, is this the original surface? I suspect it is, they're gettin great value out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's not the original surface. Concrete is still used today as a surface material on brand new Autobahns in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-025-30A%2C_Reichsautobahn_mit_zwei_KdF-Wagen.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Furet wrote: »
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-025-30A%2C_Reichsautobahn_mit_zwei_KdF-Wagen.jpg

is that the same location as the autobahn pic in post #1?

I doubt it very much, but it's very similar. It could well be the A9 along a different stretch. I posted it to compare surfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wonderful lane holding there!

I drove back from Rostock yesterday evening and as usual on German Autobahns, my eyes were straining to see the road ahead. I wish they'd use cat's eyes here. They make all the difference. Apart from that I love the roads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Millau Viaduct, the tallest bridge in the world crosses the Tarn valley in France. It's over a km from the top of the pillars to the ground. The deck is o a slope, it goes from over 700m high to about 600m at the other end.

The other road is the Panamerican Highway in Peru, north of Lima. only busses and trucks are allowed use this road, which didn't look too safe to me, there was only sand stopping it being washed into the pacific. I guess the fact it is desert there reduces the risk of a landslide from heavy rain.
    The guy in the red beetle ahead of us got pulled in by the cops a few miles up the road.

This isn't striclty infrastructure but it is a wel bult route up a fairly inaccessible place
    Gorges de la Fou
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QdSHCUpwZM

The solar furnace is just below Font Romeo in Pyrenees Oriental in France. My da visited it and they had a demo of burning through 3cm sheets of steel like a hot knife through butter.
    The mirrors on the hillside track the sun and reflect it onto the big mirror, which focuses it down to the really hot part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The Millau Viaduct, the tallest bridge in the world crosses the Tarn valley in France. It's over a km from the top of the pillars to the ground. The deck is o a slope, it goes from over 700m high to about 600m at the other end.

Drove back from near that spot a few weeks ago, didnt know about this bridge...gutted :mad:

• Advertisement

wellbutty wrote: »
    Drove back from near that spot a few weeks ago, didnt know about this bridge...gutted :mad:

Tell me you went on the A75 though? about a hundred km over a km high north of Millau.
    spectacular scenery too. and free apart from the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Drove over the Milau from theA75 southern approach (Avignon-Nimes-Mende) last year. The approach from the south is also very impressive, a combination of tunnels and road cut into the side of mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

M62 from the Eastbound carriageway between Manchester and Leeds.

Stott Hall farm between the two carriageways. Wouldn't we all love to live there?! :cool:
    th_utf-8BTTYyIE1lZGlhbiBIb3VzZS5qcGc.jpg

Scammonden Bridge:
    th_utf-8BTTYyIEJyaWRnZS5qcGc.jpg

View East:
    th_utf-8BTTYyLmpwZw.jpg

Traffic:
    th_utf-8BTTYyICgyKS5qcGc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

Not wishing to be pedantic but you're remembering feet as metres. The tallest mast is only (!!) about 375 metres tall.

If you can try to find some interviews with Norman Foster talking about it or other stuff about its construction. Very interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

Just to kick this thread off again, here are some photos taken of the E45 motorway between Austria and Italy at the Brenner Pass in the Alps. To my knowledge, it's the only full-motorway pass over the alps (as opposed to tunnel below), and at 1,370 metres it's elevation is higher than any mountain in Ireland.

The photos as taken from a train; the railway also uses this most important of N-S alpine passes.

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

There's a motorway service area right at the pass itself.

IMG_0839.JPG

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

The Frejus tunnel brings the E70 across the western alps between France and Italy. Although it connects motorways on each side, the immediate approach roads and the tunnel itself are single carriageway.

Here are some snaps taken driving from the Italian A32, through the tunnel, and then of the French A43 on the other side.

The Italian A32 heading west, 11 km west of Turin.
    IMG_1208.JPG

Italian A32, 26 km west of Turin and getting into the mountains proper!
    IMG_1213.JPG

68 km west of Turin and we're nearly at the tunnel.
    IMG_1214.JPG

The autostrada reduces to single carriageway soon after this point, 71 km from Turin.
    IMG_1216.JPG

The 12.9 km tunnel itself is a single-bore two-way road. The toll charges for a car are €35.10 one-way or €43.70 return.
    IMG_1217.JPG

On the French side now, a view of the A43 autoroute looking back towards the tunnel.
    IMG_1221.JPG

French A43, looking away from the alps this time. Taken from a bridge over the motorway at an aire.
    IMG_1225.JPG

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

This bridge spans over the Danube. Built between 1890 and 1895, when it was completed it then became the longest bridge in Europe and the third longest in the world.

More info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Carol_I_Bridge/

Few people know that the shape of the truss resembles the diagram of bending moment (see attached).

Bit of trouble brewing in Germany over new Autobahn construction: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10430540.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Brenner Pass Autobahn, Austria - Italy. Taken from the old, toll free Brenner Pass near Matrei, Austria.

Brenner Pass taken outside Brennero, Italy

• Advertisement

This is part of the A92 Regional Autobahn in Bavaria.

This photo was taken at 17:00 h on an October evening near Freising Mitte. See the shadow. The cars on the right are driving to Munich. Next junction is FS-Mitte.

Notice the separation section. There is a grass margin and a steel barrier.

This A92 begins in Deggendorf (river Danube) crosses the A3, serves Dingolfing (huge BMW plant), Landshut, Munich Airport, crosses the A9 and ends in the A99 ring Autobahn north of Munich.
    It has four lanes until Munich Airport. Only between the airport and Neufahrn where it meets the A9 has it six lanes.

This is a Bundesstrasse in Bavaria.

The car on the right hand lane is heading south towards Erding.
    Note the protective barriers leading up to the bridge where the photo was taken. The Autobahn sign is for the A92.
    There is a radar tower to the right of this sign. It is for Munich Airport.

A few shots I've digitised
    the autoroute to the col du Perthus, leading into Spain. there's 4 huge viaducts like the one shown, it's 60 cents including tva at 19.5%... compare with westlink.

Brooklyn Bridge - was the longest bridge in the world when it opened

A corner of the Eiffel Tower - to give a different sense of the size of the thing.

High Line park NYC, a disused elevated train line, now turned into a Park. You can see the train lines used to enter the buildings in the Meatpacking district- when meat used to be packed.

The Pont du Gard - a disused Aqueduct built by the romans. Probably leaked less than the water tower Fingal co.co built beside the M50....

Went to an open day at a works of the Berlin S Bahn this morning and took a couple of snaps. Open days are quite common in Germany for such normally "off limits" installations. Added to this, were DB chiefs up on stage taking un rehearsed questions from ordinary members of the public. It's refreshing compared to IE it must be said.

The works (S Bahn Werkstatt Grünau) were immaculately clean and it was possible to walk in, through around and under the trains currently under repair. They showed the wheel profiling machine in action, and how they replace wheelsets using a crane that lifts the whole body of the train up.

They also explained how they detect hidden cracks in axles etc. using ultrasonic testers (there's a pic of one in use) and had a cool works train (converted 1930's S Bahn unit! And IE dump stuff made in the 80's!!) in the workshop.

They also had trains going through the washinbg station, which you could board. Interestingly, S Bahn Berlin uses 3rd rail and as our train pulled into the works (all S8 trains today are running with passengers to the works platform which doesn't normally happen) the driver read out a warning about watching your step as the power was obviously still on around the works.

Works From the air

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Irish contractors are building motorway A1 in central Poland.
    They brought some equipment on Irish plates. As Ireland is scaling down its road building projects it seems like you guys are looking for new markets. ;)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=60481029&postcount=2245

Advertisement