Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback and suggestions here ... :)

• 06-10-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

Yeah sounds fantastic would be a great help!
    I was actually looking around on here for a careers section on Sunday!

Accountant for me so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Would be a hell of alot of help!

Well, solicitor, barrister, anyone in the whole business/finance area, graphic designer, anyone in radio/tv, event manager, doctor, pharmacist. Yeah they'd do! :p

Great idea!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

best selling author and playwright please

Nice one eVeNtInE. Is Heaney on the English course? Get Darragh to interview him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

teacher ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

some in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Excellent idea! I'd love to hear from someone involved in science, for example biotechnology, biomedical science/engineering, chemical science, computer science pharmecutical research, biochemistry etc. So many I want to know!

Would be particularly keen on hearing someone in biomedical engineering or energy research/development as these are rapidly growing industries in the science region...

I think it is definetly a viable idea. If someone involved in these things could post a sort of blog in a sub forum. Already know a good few people on boards involved in professions already mentioned.

Ya excellent idea! I'd love to hear from a doctor, a physiotherapist, a radiographer and someone who works in business/finance (not accounting). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Journalist, range of people in media and someone in the film/tv industry would be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    6th as interviewer? :pac:

Eventine, I think it's an excellent idea, but while it makes sense to ask who people would like to hear from, I wouldn't restrict it totally to that ... people might volunteer to do it who would have quite unusual occupations which people wouldn't even think of listing, or indeed might know little or nothing about.

A similar format to In The Well in Poker or In The Noclight in Noc might work well, except maybe with an opening statement from the victim guest describing what they do etc. ... then give people a couple of days to ask questions, and for the guest to answer or, indeed, to add any other bits / thoughts / insights which might strike them in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It might be an idea to have a thread explaining post-graduate study to people, clearing misconceptions and example being, a lot of people seem to think that you have to have a masters to do a PhD or others seem to think (My mother included) that the term HDip only ever applies to the higher diploma in education.

If you have a Radiographer, make sure you get a Radio Therapist, some plank earlier in the year didnt seem to know the difference :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Great Idea!:D
    Would love a tv researcher or an archaeologist!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

Ye do it will be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

That sounds great - would love to hear from an engineer of anykind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

+ 1 On the engineer, I'd say a a few types would be a good idea, ie Mechanical, Civil, Electronic etc.
    Also a Nurse would be good as well, considering the amount of 3rd level places there are for nusrses.
    Teacher is there, but how about getting both primary and a secondary teacher?
    And maybe a psychologist? Psychology is fairly popular in uni as well.

I'll try and think of others.

Just a question - can we start a topic asking for info from somebody working in a career (eg. Doctor) and someone in said career could come in and give advice/answer questions? Or is it for people with careers who come in and "register" themselves for questions and advice.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I'd say you'd get a good response if you went to the Economics or Investments and Markets forum and asked people to give their views on different careers. Them places are full of:

Economists
    Actuaries
    Stockbrokers
    Traders
    Investment bankers
    Currency Traders

All would be a great help to anyone seeking a career in Finance and many people in them forums have experience of more than one of those careers.

Know a few doctors but they're not in the LC forum, or med students, if they're any use. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mummy2b

Im in HR and happy to talk about the role if its of any interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

teacher ;)
    Jay P wrote: »
    Teacher is there, but how about getting both primary and a secondary teacher?

I'll talk to my people over on the Teaching/Lecturing forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Secondary teacher here who will give it a go. :) Not sure how this works though. Do I sit here quietly and await further instructions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

janeybabe wrote: »
    Secondary teacher here who will give it a go. :) Not sure how this works though. Do I sit here quietly and await further instructions?

^^ My people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Great idea, Love it! Hope it works :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

One that's not dead preferably (Darragh's good, but he's not that good).

6th could do that easily. :p

Also, I'd like to hear from a programmer.

Advertisement