Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kino cinema to close

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that is a real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sovkhoz

I read this and really shouted NOOO at the computer
    I'm going to cry! This can't happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

It desperately needs an exterior facelift. Broken and smashed billboards, rust, hasnt been painted in years and too many winos hanging around the back. Nice place on the inside though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sad news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Is it still possible to do anything about it at this stage?

The article says they owe 50 grand to an architectural practice. I'd happily put up €100 if I thought it would help keep the Kino open. I wonder if 500 others could be persuaded to do likewise.

Pledgebank
    perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

That would still only put it back to square one. It's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭glanman

A real pity... Can the irish film board not stump up 50k? by the sounds of it the cinema can keep going if they got this paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

If they got a donation for the arts council and then a fundraising drive then it could be put into a healthy position long term. I don't know if the money is there. Hopefully there will be a white knight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sovkhoz

I'd most definitely be ready to give the kino a helping hand, no question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The article says they owe 50 grand to an architectural practice. I'd happily put up €100 if I thought it would help keep the Kino open. I wonder if 500 others could be persuaded to do likewise.

if it went to some sort of trust or public ownership I'd contribute in a heartbeat. hate the thought that the kino will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭shnaek

Just at a time when Galway is getting a new arthouse cinema:

http://www.iftn.ie/distribution/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4282302&tpl=archnews&force=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw, that is just terrible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Thats big shame alright. I normally used to go there a few times to watch movies during the film festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

A port of call any time I go home. I knew it was coming though, anytime I went I felt like I was at Craggy Islands cinema. One man and his dog, and yet wave after wave of morons shuffle into Mahon Point to see the latest Adam Sandler movie.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

sad if it was to close, less choice for people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

imme wrote: »
    sad if it was to close, less choice for people

What is left after this? Douglas, Mahon, the Gate, Blackpool.

All showing the same movies.

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Fabio

Very sad news to hear, another thing that makes Cork that little bit special is lost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stoptherot

Just regiestered with Boards.ie tonight specifically to be able to comment on the closure of the Kino. It is devastating news for cinema-goers in Cork. The suggestion that people club together to try and help them out makes huge sense. I would be prepared to contribute, and I know plenty of others who would also. Does anybody know more about the situation other than what was published in the Times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

That is very bad news indeed. I'd often wondered what happened with the plans to redevelop the site, it's ironic this is why it might have to close :(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Really really sad news. One of the few cool things I actually like about Cork. Sake :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A real pity. The staff in there are so friendly too. Although it badly needed a facelift on the outside. I'd be happy to put forward E100 towards any trust fund that would save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Very sad to hear this..so many film memories and the great coffee smell!

A big loss for people who want to see older films on the big screen too. I'll never forget seeing Taxi Driver/Apocalypse Now/2001: A Space Odessey/Texas Chainsaw Massacre, as well as all of the modern day classics that never made it to the multiplexes :(

Would also be happy to contribute to any 'Save the kino fund' if anyone knows of such a thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

FFS :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stoptherot

Article in Examiner quotes owner Mick Hannigan who suggests looking to the City Council/Arts Council to look after the future of independent arthouse cinema in Cork. With their finances crippled, it may be difficult. But the City Council have put up the dosh to help Triskel expand into Christchurch (at €4.5million!) That project is taking place now. The City Manager obviously sees the contribution that the arts can make to the city. Perhaps there is some hope there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Hope so, would hate to see it go because of €50k... that was probably spent plastering a few telephone polls in Capital of Culture 2005 year. Anytime I've been there recently, there has always been a decent crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Kino's facebook page is here - Like many others I'd be more than happy to pledge some financial support. Get in touch with the cinema and let them know that you support them.

I spent a lot of time in the Kino over the years, while I lived in Cork. It deserves to be supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

ever since the Cineplex closed a few years back, I feel a stange sense of regret. It too knew that it's days were numbered as it required urgent refurbishment and modernising, i'm afraid it will be the same fate for the Kino. An empty building serving as a reminder of better times. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

foxyboxer wrote: »
    ever since the Cineplex closed a few years back, I feel a stange sense of regret. It too knew that it's days were numbered as it required urgent refurbishment and modernising, i'm afraid it will be the same fate for the Kino. An empty building serving as a reminder of better times. :(

Maybe they'll change it back to a pool hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

Check their Facebook page, there's some meeting on this Saturday for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

here's the support page for "Save the Kino" on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=210189208344

Advertisement