Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRacing

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I used to play gpl. Is iRacing as good. Is there many Irish on it? And what are the fun cars on it. The lotus looks nice. Is there a good steering wheel that works on pc and on the consoles?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Plenty of Irish, you get to be part of the Celtic club when you join, celtic being Ireland, Wales, Scotland.
    Plenty of fun cars/series
    I use a G25 wheel but it only works with a ps3 and not the xbox 360.
    The new porsche fanatec wheel setup works on all 3 formats i think,it definitely works on pc and 360.
    Its every bit as good as a G25 if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Cool. Good info. Thanks.
    I think I recognise your name from the olden days of gpl.. ie with dial up, when cars would just appear on the track beside you out of nowhere.

Yep thats me :) those were the days :)

If you liked GPL you will be amazed with iracing.

I think I'll probably go for it.

But it really sucks having to buy a steering wheel for a couple of hundred quid and then subscribe with credit card details before I can even see how the game runs on my PC.

They should really have a downloadable demo first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

They had a free trial, but that was quickly cancelled, because of the amount of iRacing haters who joined and did nothing but wreck in races.

It is reasonably expensive for a sim, but if you have the disposable income, it's well worth the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Logitech Driving Force Pro will work on both PS2/3 and PC and is pretty cheap. iRacing is a good sim, however its not great if you just want to sit at your PC and get goin in a race, sometimes the people online are a little too "serious" for my liking, by that I mean they want to have a sim, but dont want to drive/dice like in real life...
    My racing season is over now so ill renew my subscription for the winter. My G25 is dead (not pleased!) so ill have to take care of that first....

Unless your PC is an absolute Dinosaur it should run fine. My simming PC is a P4 @ 3.6Ghz (yes, a P4, remeber those :-o ), 2GB RAM and an AGP 6800GT. Archaic by todays standards, but will still do 1920x1200 and an acceptable framerate with a reasonable level of detail.

Yeah most of the iracing users take it way too serious for my liking.
    Im unsubed a few months now.
    My main reason is ive a dodgy left leg which has disabled me in a big way meaning i physically cant race for longer than 30 mins maybe 40 max, this means i just about get to run a class C race.
    Ive waited and waited for iracing to introduce shorter races for the class A and B cars.

I could get myself some form of wheel with an axis for hand use but that just wouldnt feel right and would be even more expense to add to iracings already high expense.

Im having good craic with NFS shift [the heavily modded version]
    Its pretty damn good with the real mod and custom wheel settings installed.

sometimes the people online are a little too "serious" for my liking, by that I mean they want to have a sim, but dont want to drive/dice like in real life...

Plenty of racers in iRacing love to get involved in dicing, but with latency there are limits to how far you can take that safely. This is the same with all online sims. There is also the fact that real life racers are hugely experienced professionals who know how to dice safely. You aren't going to run a race with hobbyists and amateurs and see the same quality of driving unless you have a high enough iRating to be racing against the best drivers.

In the case of many real-life series, you shouldn't look to them as an example of how racing should be. Take BTCC for example, it's far and away my favourite racing series, but the driving is incredibly dirty. I'm sure the only reason the stewards let them get away with it is because it's spectacular and keeps the interest of the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Only joined up a few weeks back, really enjoying it, plenty of good racing (with only some bad). Taking time to get to know each track and car, so not actually costing much, now that they've dropped the prices. Haven't bought any extra content yet, though the Corvette will be purchased once I've a high enough rating to drive it :)

You won't be disappointed. I had a quick blast around Mosport in it, and it feels great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If anyone is readying this and is on the fence about it iRacing, the prices have dropped recently....
    checkout www.iracing.com

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Davkie

Dusted off the old red Momo and joined up about a month ago , after a few corners around Lime Rock in the Skippy all I could say is WOW.
    Without doubt iRacing has the best physics model out there , the service itself is also great , having never joined a league in the GPL days the system offers the convenience of pickup races with the clean racing you would see in a league and I have had some great races due to the seeding system were you are racing drivers at a similar level to yourself.

They are currently running a Black Friday special with a years membership at $75 , I had reservations about the subscription model but after trying it out for a month I consider it well worth the cost.

In a recent interview with Dave Keammer he said he is working on a completely new tire model , so the simulation will only get better. He also considers the GPL physics model as " Garbage " compared to iRacing. Food for though for alot of GPL'ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

There's a buy one month get two months free for $14 at the moment here
    plus $10 game credit. I've just signed up, curious to see what all the fuss is about and 10 euro is great value for 3 months entertainment. I don't see myself renewing the subscription though.

I got a force feedback wheel in peats for about €80 and started up with Iracing. Really liking it so far. But it's slow to start off. I can only race with the slow cars at the start. But I can test with the unrestricted legends car which is awesome. 1:04.505 is my best on the limerock chichaned course. Now all I have to do is figure out what I have to do to be able to race against others in the unrestricted legends car.

For the Advanced Legends, all you need is a safety rating above 3.0, or any license level greater than rookie. Never actually tried these yet as I'm busy with the single seater skip barber formula, but I most give them a go at some point and see what they're like.

is the skip barber good? what else have you tried? any other good tracks you recommend?

The Skip Barber is an excellent car, simple to setup as not much you can change on it, easy to get around a track, but difficult to drive it really quick, but doing a season in it means buying alot of extra tracks. The Spec Racer Ford would be a good start for your first road racing season, it tends to run mostly the standard tracks. For ovals the next step up would be the late model, it's good fun on oval's and on road courses.

The only track I really don't like so far would be any configuration of Summit Point. It's a pain. My favorite would be Sebring, Road America, and Infineon Raceway (Sears Point), I knew Sears Point from years ago as it was in an old Papyrus Nascar game, loved driving that track in it.

I actually really like the long course at Summit Point. I' not a big fan of the Jefferson configuration, but it was quite fun in the SRF. Infineon would definately be up there with my favourite courses. Virginia International Raceway was probably the most frustrating to learn, but it's probably the most satisfying track to drive when you do learn it.

The Skip Barber is probably the most fun car in the sim, imo. I have my A license and most of the road cars (except the indy car), but I still mostly race the skip. The SRF is definately the best car to learn to drive road courses, but with experience, it lacks satisfaction, as it tends to be pretty easy to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NeilJC

Guys, Do any of you know where I can source a new Logitech G25 these days?
    I have been trying to get my hands on one since Xmas and I 'm finding it next to impossible get one. Elara.ie ran out of their stock, Komplete.ie ran out of thier stock, I came close to getting one off lowpricedhardware, but i was later told that "this item unfortunatly sold out in the last few hours."mad.gif I currently have one on order from Pixmania who (have already charged my CC) and were getting a shipment in on "14/01/2010", but then updated that shipment date to "29/01/2010", and now today claim "08/02/2010". My confidence in this shipment is getting quite low.frown.gif
    The G27 is easily available, but with a ridiculous €350 price tag. I'm not going down that route.
    Anyone know of any sites selling the G25 anymore (in Europe shipping to IRL)?

Cheers

You'll probably have a hard time tracking one down since they are out of production. There are 2 new ones on ebay, along with some used

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Logitech-G25-Racing-Wheel_W0QQitemZ250569064175QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item3a57147eef

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Logitech-G25-Racing-Wheel-Volante-NEW-NUEVO_W0QQitemZ190367742098QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_186?hash=item2c52cd3892

second one might be slightly used and is very pricey. I paid less than that for mine new i think it was 3-4 years ago.

• Advertisement

Im tempted to sell my G25, ive hardly used it apart from the first 2 months after i got into iracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

What sort of graphics card do I need for this game ?

128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter

You can find the full minimum specs here:

http://www.iracing.com/membership/faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I saw that alright but I always ignore min specs. I was wondering what if the min spec graphics card ( budget 100-150 ) I would need to have iracing run really well

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Hi everyone on this thread. Are any of you still on iracing? I haven't come across any other Irish guys except for 1 guy. Been on it the last 3 months. Skip Barber is my car of choice. Great racing in that series. pm me if you are in the sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Colinoh

Just got back into racing with the new Gran Turismo, but its defiantly something I'm interested in. Gran Turismo is great but there are a lot of kids that just smash into everything. At least on PC it greatly reduces that factor.

Advertisement