Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 09/10 Predictions ?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Hey People!

Tought id start this thread up as we are gettin closer to winter ( seen the first feckin christmas ad on tv last nite! CRAZYNESS! )

Well does anybody hav any predictions on wat kind of weather we'll get this winter?

Rain rain rain:mad:, some strong wind storms:D, mad cold temps:rolleyes: or even snow?:):):)

All thoughts and DREAMS welcome.:)

Comments

http://www.tvn24.pl/0,10667,1623934,,,polska-poludniowo_wschodnia,raport_wiadomosc.html

Video and photos of unseasonal snow in Poland today.

Record "cold" and rain in Australia
    http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perth-shivers-through-coldest-september-days-on-record-20090930-gc0x.html

Unseasonable October here. If the high pressure patterns here last we might get a cold winter but the pattern may shift come December and January.

Some of our longest coldest snowiest winters have begun with snow in October and November
    http://www.booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1800_1849.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

im hoping for a polar low like this one in 69

Rrea00219690208.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Im liking tat image from 69!

NOW TAT WAT WOULD MAKE IT A WINTER TO REMEMBER!

:D:D:D

BRING IT ON!!!! WOOOO!

If that sunspot (or lack of) thread is anything to go by, this winter should be much colder than usual.

More likely long periods of damp foggy weather, rather than significant snowfalls.

If that sunspot (or lack of) thread is anything to go by, this winter should be much colder than usual.

More likely long periods of damp foggy weather, rather than significant snowfalls.

maybe,however the effects of this is a more gradual cooling over many years than the immediate whiteout so many are impatient for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 yansnow

The weather so far this autumn has been incredibly benign with mainly above day time maxima and few cold nights. Allowing for the seasonal changes in the Northern Hemisphere a weak El Nino and continued low solar activity. There is hopefully good potential for something interesting. Winter conditions have already been established in Poland, Alps and Czech Republic with some near record snowfalls and last weekend in Calgary.

It will be interesting to see what happens in November - Will it be a standard westerly zonal set up with occasional outbreaks of cold air or will there be a return of the dreaded Bartlett high pressure conditions. Every year I start to feel optimistic about cold conditions developing but despite not believing in global warming cannot ignore the increases in temperature in recent years. (This is I believe part of a natural warming and cooling cycle - cold between 1940's and 1970's and warmer since this period) As a result tend to expect a severe winter at far too often.

Last Winter was not that exciting with no impressive minima recorded and small amounts of snow, it just was not mild very often. This year once again has seen month on month warmer than average (70 -00 ) and shows no real sign of changing at the moment. What is likely is more variability on a day to day basis - it could be very cold and very mild in the same week - just opinion. At some point we must play catch up with rainfall - it is reasonable to expect in November/December an extended period of wet and windy weather with mild and cold airmasses competing as per normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

Perosnally folks I think it will be a mild one. Once all those lows start piling in off the Atlantic therell be no stopping them and wet n windy would be my bet however dont rule out some short cold periods.

http://weathergossip.com/winter.html

Piers corbyn thinks it's going to be a cold one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 yansnow

pauldry wrote: »
    Perosnally folks I think it will be a mild one. Once all those lows start piling in off the Atlantic therell be no stopping them and wet n windy would be my bet however dont rule out some short cold periods.

http://weathergossip.com/winter.html

i bet u it wont be a mild winter coz been studying about the global cycle and this type of weather alwayed lead to a cold winter and it would around the end of dec we will start to feel the cold and wud be well below average temps.we are in the cycle of global cooling its been happen hundred of years.look last winter dublin and ireland got loads of snow after a long time even the airport was close for 2 day and it was after a long time we got dat much.so this gona be a classic winter and we will get polar air digging from the east as high will definitly build over finland and sweden.did u all not noticed its have been a quite different weather we ve got the last two month.dont be draged by global warming its all bull**** coz the earth has its own cycle der warming n coolin cycle already went through he warming now its time for a change.

current north hemisphere snow

snowAFnh.gif

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

redsunset wrote: »
    current north hemisphere snow

snowAFnh.gif

any chance of finding the same chart showing snow cover exactly a year ago? . . . would be interesting! (looking at the chilly weather over czech rep. poland etc. i'd say there's more white stuff this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

patneve wrote: »
    any chance of finding the same chart showing snow cover exactly a year ago? . . . would be interesting! (looking at the chilly weather over czech rep. poland etc. i'd say there's more white stuff this year)

I agree!...Would be very interesting indeed to see the same map this time last year.

I ll hav a look around meself to try find it .

:)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I agree!...Would be very interesting indeed to see the same map this time last year.

I ll hav a look around meself to try find it .

:)

i can't get it unfortunately.they don't seem to hold an archive for public use,still searching tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

mother of god!

Rtavn1022.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cammo 30

can anyone tell me is there any snow forcast for november or december 09.............lets hope so

cammo 30 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me is there any snow forcast for november or december 09.............lets hope so

This is an old thread.winter prediction thread might hold the key in due course.

ps welcome to the weather forum

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cammo 30

im new 2 this boards thing so forgive me..........so that is snow for next week tuesday the 3rd of november 2009 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

patneve wrote: »
    mother of god!

Rtavn1022.png

Hi Pat,

What does this mean? ( Im sorry i havent a clue on these picture thingys but I am interested. Guys on here taught me tons last year on dew points etc)

Not original image posted.changes with each run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Met check forecasting sleet/snow showers for galway this saturday:confused:
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=galway&day=5
    I know it wont happen:mad: not even on the hills its not goin to be that cold is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I think it will be a mild wet winter, with the occasional cold period.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im thinking it will be mild as well, similar to the few winters we had before last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm confident we will have a winter this year to rival the winters of the past that have become part of weather folkore.

well, i'm not really but it's nice to dream...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

mild n wet i think.snow looks lovely but what about when its so cold its dangerous to drive and u cant get into work....maybe just a couple of days of that,eh;)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I still have the '-8' reading on my car ext temp photo on my phone from last winter...I'd be delighted to see another cold winter, with large amounts of snow for everyone!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Ireland got widespread snow last year? I wasn't in Ireland but weird that no one mentioned it to me. Was only talking about snow with mates the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ireland got widespread snow last year? I wasn't in Ireland but weird that no one mentioned it to me. Was only talking about snow with mates the other day.

Yes, we did. See this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055477440

especially the last page. Wicklow got a real pasting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

arctictree wrote: »
    Yes, we did. See this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055477440

especially the last page. Wicklow got a real pasting:)

Ahhhhhh, the memories :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481419

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I posted my winter forecast in my daily forecast thread (as part of the post titled Saturday, 7 November). Basically, it calls for a mixture of mild and cold spells and gives some idea when these might be expected, but I think the balance will be slightly on the cold side of normal, and that there may be several days with snow especially around mid-January. The winter may also be notable for some strong wind events especially at either end of January.

Advertisement