Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And Another Thing...the sixth book of the trilogy

Options
  • 11-10-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Eoin Colfer interview

Interesting to see how this is received by fans. I suspect the film rights are not being snapped up after the fiasco of the HHGTTG.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There was also an interview with Colfer in today's Sunday Times Culture magazine. As regards the new book, I think I'm probably with the guy Colfer quotes in that interview who said to him recently that he'll read the book first before he hates it. I'm a bit like that really. On the one hand, it's a new book, which should be a good thing. On the other, it's not written by Douglas, which can only be a bad thing. I'm already concerned by the fact that Zaphod only has one head (although he only had one when Arthur originally met him at the party in Islington), not because he only has one head, but why Colfer decided to remove one. He said that Adams was able to introduce the second head as a gag and then just ignore it, whereas he'd want to be writing about the two heads talking to one another, shared windpipes, etc., and find it too distracting, so he removed the second head. It doesn't bode well if the author is changing fundamental parts of the H2G2 canon just because his own writing style can't cope with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm already concerned by the fact that Zaphod only has one head (although he only had one when Arthur originally met him at the party in Islington), not because he only has one head, but why Colfer decided to remove one. He said that Adams was able to introduce the second head as a gag and then just ignore it, whereas he'd want to be writing about the two heads talking to one another, shared windpipes, etc., and find it too distracting, so he removed the second head. It doesn't bode well if the author is changing fundamental parts of the H2G2 canon just because his own writing style can't cope with them.

I agree with this. I haven't read the books, although I am planning on doing so soon, but when I read the reason for removing one of Zaphod's heads I thought it was an utterly silly reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm pretty pessimistic about this whole thing tbh - saw it down the bookshop today but decided to refrain until I work through a backlog. I think it is a serious artistic misstep when one author continues another series - the great thing about Hitchhiker's was always Adams' dry, satirical style and the combination of his big ideas (about religion etc...) with sci-fi parody. He has a very unique style, and one which others would find difficult to emulate (case in point - the TV series and film. Hitchhiker's definitely works better on a page/radio). On the other hand, I deeply disliked Mostly Harmless, so on one level it will be nice to see the characters get a more pleasant send-off.

However I still take issue with someone taking over such a unique and individual series. I am not that familiar with Colfer - I read his Benny books when I was a young lad, but that's about it. I will read it, and give it a fair chance, but on a more sentimental level Hitchhikers Guide will always be associated with the great Douglas Adams, and I hope Colfer at least does the man justice (I read a promising quote from him where he said he didn't just copy Adams' style, which would have been creepy, and wrote it in his own way instead)! Curious to see reviews and read it myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Listened to the first part of And Another Thing on Radio 4's Book at bedtime tonight (on Long Wave). Won't be bothering tomorrow night. Total rubish read in a monotone, an Eoin Colfer book in the Style of Eoin Colfer and sounding nothing like anything todo with the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy RIP

OK, so I've read the first two chapters and I have to say the verdict isn't promising. In fact I'd go one further and say that so far it's awful crap. It's boring and not even remotely funny. Colfer has taken Adams' style of describing things or getting to the point in a long-winded and roundabout way, and completely missed the mark. The sentences just seem long for the sake of it rather than turning into the wonderfully descriptive prose that Adams wrote. His description of various planets or races isn't anything like as convincing or humorous as Adams, while it feels like his mentions of the likes of Eccentrica Gallumbits and the Hooloovoo are merely to show that he's read the earlier books. Most annoying of all is that in the space of 30 pages he uses "froody" as an adjective no less than 4 times in relation to Ford Prefect who, as we all know, is actually a hoopy frood. Nitpicking, I know, but if he's going to try and win over the hardcore fans he can't be as sloppy as that. I really want to like this book becase of what it is, rather than who wrote it, but so far I'm afraid it's as dull as dishwater and I'm not at all impressed.

• Advertisement

OMG froody! How bloody annoying!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n4z16 first part And Another Thing - listen again available to listen to for another 6 days for those that have 15 minutes of their life to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

hmmm - through the first few chapters and am enjoying it - Douglas Adams it ain't but its ok, then again I liked Colfer's Artemis Fowl books.

ArthurDent wrote: »
    hmmm - through the first few chapters and am enjoying it - Douglas Adams it ain't but its ok, then again I liked Colfer's Artemis Fowl books.

Thats my problem I really don't like the Artemis Fowl books. Thats why I don't like The Fowl Guide to the Galaxy!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm already concerned by the fact that Zaphod only has one head (although he only had one when Arthur originally met him at the party in Islington), not because he only has one head, but why Colfer decided to remove one.

I thought he had the second head but covered it with a lamp cover? It was the extra hand that Ford commented on when he met him in the heart of gold if I remember right

I thought he had the second head but covered it with a lamp cover? It was the extra hand that Ford commented on when he met him in the heart of gold if I remember right

In the original book Arthur mentions that he met Zaphod at the party where "He only had the two arms and the one head and he called himself Phil, but..."

The game (and also mentioned in Mostly Harmless) says that Zaphod blends in on Earth by hiding his second head in a covered bird cage, which may be what you're thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

In the original book Arthur mentions that he met Zaphod at the party where "He only had the two arms and the one head and he called himself Phil, but..."

The game (and also mentioned in Mostly Harmless) says that Zaphod blends in on Earth by hiding his second head in a covered bird cage, which may be what you're thinking of.

Thought it was in the radio series, when Ford says "Love the new arm" or something along those lines.

Thought it was in the radio series, when Ford says "Love the new arm" or something along those lines.

Must dig out the old cassette tapes and check. OMG will they still work and do I have anything left I can play them on?

So I thought "DON'T PANIC" and googled Zaphod Beeblebrox came up with the obvious http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaphod_Beeblebrox so to quote the nearest thing we have to the "BOOK"
    This character is described across all versions as having two heads and three arms, though explanations of how he came to receive the extra appendages differed between versions. The original radio version never explained the second head, but did explain that Zaphod "grew" the third arm in the six months between meeting the character of Trillian on Earth, and the start of the series. The third radio series implies that he had a third arm whilst growing up — the fifth has him offer to Trillian that "I'd grow my third arm back for you, baby", when they first meet. In the novel, he said the third arm was "recently [...] fitted just beneath his right one to help improve his ski-boxing." According to the original Hitchhiker's radio series script book, an ad libbed comment by Mark Wing-Davey in the eighth radio episode ("Put it there, and there, and there, and there! Whoa!") would suggest that Zaphod had grown a fourth arm. In the television series, Ford Prefect simply remarks to Zaphod that "the extra arm suits you." Eoin Colfer wrote and published an official 6th book for the Hitchhiker's series, in which it is implied Zaphod's third arm may have originally been grown so that he would have one hand for each of Eccentrica Galumbitz's breasts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

When they meet first (in the book, not chronologically), Arthur says:
    "Yes," said Arthur, glaring at him and trying not to feel foolish. "He only had the two arms and the one head and he called himself Phil, but ..."
    Just before that happened, Ford remarked on Zaphods new arm..
    The peculiar man waved a lazy wave at Ford and with an appalling affectation of nonchalance said, "Ford, hi, how are you? Glad you could drop in."
    Ford was not going to be outcooled.
    "Zaphod," he drawled, "great to see you, you're looking well, the extra arm suits you. Nice ship you've stolen."

Does anyone else think the new book reads like a clips episode from a US sitcom i.e. "Hey Ford, do you remember that time when the Bugblatter beast of Trall tried to eat your grandmother?" etc etc?

Its also quite annoying that the "Guide Note" parts are not actually excerpts from the guide but rather just bits of backstory and irrelevant tangents about the characters' quirks.

Does anyone else think the new book reads like a clips episode from a US sitcom i.e. "Hey Ford, do you remember that time when the Bugblatter beast of Trall tried to eat your grandmother?" etc etc?

Oh that it were that funny or even interesting. :(
    Its also quite annoying that the "Guide Note" parts are not actually excerpts from the guide but rather just bits of backstory and irrelevant tangents about the characters' quirks.

Annoying? If I ever meet Eoin Colfer I'll repeatedly slap him about the head with my copy of the book for what he's done to the Guide.

He could also have left out the
    Quiet Man/stage Irish references, it's bloody embarrassing

Colfer may be a good teenage fiction writer, but he should remember that it's a long time since most of his audience for this book were teenagers. I'm about 2/3 of the way through (never took me anything like this long to read any of the others) and I'm finding it a struggle, but I will finish it. It's boring, unfunny and badly written. Or, to sum it up in a single word, crap.

He could also have left out the
    Quiet Man/stage Irish references, it's bloody embarrassing

Indeed, and the characters have morphed from the eccentric English types that Douglas Adams wrote about into poor, mid-atlantic imitations of themselves.
    It's boring, unfunny and badly written. Or, to sum it up in a single word, crap.

Some of it doesn't even make any sense, such as a character answering a question that wasn't asked of him or people doing things for no obvious reasons. There's one point in the book when
    Ford tickles Trillian for no reason and nothing more is said about it. It just doesn't make sense

I can see why he named the book because every time I think of it there's another thing wrong. Like the way he talks about H2G2.

Congrads on becoming an admin by the way.

I can see why he named the book because every time I think of it there's another thing wrong.

Best summary of the book I've seen so far.
    Like the way he talks about H2G2.

Yeah, that really bugged me too. It's a name that only came into use after the BBC started their website and never appeared in any of the other books.

Congrads on becoming an admin by the way.

Yeah, that really bugged me too. It's a name that only came into use after the BBC started their website and never appeared in any of the other books.

Also, I thought it was a name for the works of fiction in our world (i.e. radio series, books, towel, tv series etc) to distinguish it from the actual Hitchhiker's guide (the thing that's slightly cheaper than the Encyclopedia Galactica and has the words "Don't panic" printed on the back in large friendly letters). Particularly, it was something to do with the change in spelling from hitch-hiker's guide to hitchhikers guide between the radio and book or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

So I'm taking it from popular opinion on this thread that the new book is a load of bullcrap? Lovely!

I have the book but can't bring myself to pick it up. I got it simply because it was related to the Guide but I'm really reluctant to ruin the guide experience with bullcrap!

I might not bother now. I'll just read the restaurant at the end of the universe again. You really can't top that book. By far the best in the series!

• Advertisement

takola! You've come back to us!

Yeah, bullcrap is a good word for it, although that is just my opinion, I've seen people on Amazon giving it 5 stars. My favourite review there was from the guy who gave it one star. He said he has OCD which compels him to finish any book he's reading, no matter how bad it is. This is the first book he's ever stopped reaing halfway through.

takola wrote: »
    I might not bother now. I'll just read the restaurant at the end of the universe again. You really can't top that book. By far the best in the series!

"If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not top it off with breakfast at Milliways?"

You just don't get that kind of thing in the new book. Nor do you get quotes like in your sig. Colfer just doesn't have the dry wit that Adams did.
    Zaph wrote:
    My favourite review there was from the guy who gave it one star. He said he has OCD which compels him to finish any book he's reading, no matter how bad it is. This is the first book he's ever stopped reaing halfway through.

:D

Although I think I've seen that comment in several reviews on Amazon

takola! You've come back to us!

Yeah, bullcrap is a good word for it, although that is just my opinion, I've seen people on Amazon giving it 5 stars. My favourite review there was from the guy who gave it one star. He said he has OCD which compels him to finish any book he's reading, no matter how bad it is. This is the first book he's ever stopped reaing halfway through.

Yep, I'm back! :D

Haha! That's priceless. It's a pity really but I'll just write it off as a bad fan-fiction!
    "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not top it off with breakfast at Milliways?"

You just don't get that kind of thing in the new book. Nor do you get quotes like in your sig. Colfer just doesn't have the dry wit that Adams did.

I doubt there are many people with Adams' dry wit. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yep, I'm back! :D
    Hope you're not looking for your old job :eek:
    <_<
    >_>

/OT I must admit, having read the comments here, I'm really glad I didn't actually go and buy this.

Adams was a master, this appears to be just a cheap plastic imitation :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'm halfway through it & trying to figure out how I can get my €14.99 back. It's unbelieveable crap. On the verge of dumping it.

Steve wrote: »
    Hope you're not looking for your old job :eek:
    <_<
    >_>

Don't worry, you're safe! :p

I doubt there are many people with Adams' dry wit. :D

But at least they don't try.
    Don't worry, you're safe! :p

Safe? Rhymes with something...seamus I thinks.
    /OT I must admit, having read the comments here, I'm really glad I didn't actually go and buy this.

Lucky b*****d, you weren't exposed to it.
    Adams was a master, this appears to be just a cheap plastic imitation :(

This was a [expletive deleted by moderator] where the [expletive deleted by moderator] was a [expletive deleted by moderator] and I [expletive deleted by moderator] think that [expletive deleted by moderator] was [expletive deleted by moderator] when the [expletive deleted by moderator] [expletive deleted by moderator] [expletive deleted by moderator] because of the [expletive deleted by moderator] [expletive deleted by moderator] if you know what I [expletive deleted by moderator] mean.

And also, it's a pile of t** ****ing ****e, if you ask me.

Safe? Rhymes with something...seamus I thinks.

Everyone knows it's pronounced Zaff! Despite what he likes to tell others! :D

And also, it's a pile of t** ****ing ****e, if you ask me.

C'mon johnny, tell us wat you really think of it. :D

Everyone knows it's pronounced Zaff! Despite what he likes to tell others! :D

Just remember, I can siteban you now... ;)

• Advertisement

Just remember, I can siteban you now... ;)
    You bloody vogon you! :D

(btw, I don't see your name on the P-22(a) siteban, schedule (b) part 4 list yet, have you been neglecting your paperwork??) :D

Advertisement