Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering Noise - Merc 230TE

Options
  • 06-10-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I'm getting a 'groaning' noise when I turn the steering wheel.

Gets worse the closer to fully locked I am, seems to ease off a bit when the car is warmed up a bit. There has been no deterioration in the power steering.

My guess is I need some power steeing fluid.

Any ideas which kind - and where to put it.

And the fan has stopped turning - The lever in the cockpit won't turn around at all, so I can't turn it on.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Check your fluid level, you may have lost some - there'll be a little bottle, with a steering wheel symbol on it in the engine bay. The fluid you'll need is Dexron ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) - a litre should be enough to fill the system from empty. With the engine off, top up the fluid to the max level. Turn the engine on, and turn the steering wheel, lock to lock, a few times - hold it on each lock for a second or two. Turn the engine off and check the level again, and top up. Repeat this procedure until the max mark is reached.
    Check the condition of you fan belt while you're there - the power steering pump will be ran off this. If the above procedure does not help, you could have a problematic pump or rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

W123 230TE?
    As you look into the engine bay from the front of the car the p/s resevoir is on the right hand side with a wingnut on top.

The fan *I think* is cable operated so it could be there is a snag somewhere or that it has rusted on to something if it hasn't been used in a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had the same groaning noise in my old SL. However I thought it went away when the car was warmed up.
    S.E.P.* now, though. :D

* Someone Else's Problem

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

Thanks to all.

Cap'n slow - I'd just have filled it thanks for the detailed how to.

8~) - Don't think it's rusted or snagged - car is in daily use. Spoke to your brother last week he's going great guns on the 200t

Dades - SEP - brilliant.

Any ideas on the fan problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

Thanks all, I topped up with Dexron ATF - only took about 200ml - and as if by magic the noise stopped.

So thank you to everybody who offered advice.

Now to sort out that fan...

• Advertisement
Advertisement