Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do timberframe houses creak ??

Options
  • 14-09-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Trying to decided on a Block or Timber frame Passive house

Blocks - solid, strong, don't move.
    Timber frame - creak?, Less "solid" feeling

So do Timber frames creak and grown as they contract and expand with heat/cold

Your experiences please

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,063 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there are many many threads already on block builds and timber frame builds. perhaps use the search function.

if you are asking which is best.... both types have pros and cons.
    whichever is 'best' depends on your needs.

remember, a significant portion of block builds are timber, and a significant portion of TF builds are concrete....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Sydthebeat - I hear you - but ....

Was at he selfbuild show last week - and two separate people - who had no real vested interest if you built block or timber frame said that given all the evidence timberframe builds make more extraneous noises as temperature rises and falls than block builds

So again - asking for feedback of people who have lived in timber frame builds (specifically the closed wall - factory e built type systems) is you experience that these builds do creak and grown as the temp changes

Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

My (still unfinished) timber frame house creaks and bangs with thermal expansion.
    When you are on your own in the house, you'd swear it was haunted!
    All part of the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My house is all timber no block at all, no creaks, squeaks or any noise at all.
    10mm masonite for racking stops a lot of movement IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 brenbiz

i live in a timber frame house which does make some noise however i find it is the floorboards and joists that cause the noise when they contract and expand as the tempetature changes. i would imagine this would be the same in a block build house unless you were going for concrete floors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I live in a timber frame house. It creaks all year but especially at the start and end of summer when it heats up and cools down.

My main bathroom is at a structural joining point so my floor tiles came up, Had to double ply the floor which lead to more problems

That aside. Becuase my house is timber frame it heats very very quickly and its very easy to hang pcitures.curtains and blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

in my experience of living in a few timber frame houses and a few conventional houses, yes, the timber framed ones tended to make a lot more noises than the cavity walled ones, but they're not silent either.

it's on my pet hate list too tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

After living in timber frame homes in Germany, Canada, UK and finally Ireland they all creak. The German one was a Hansa Haus so not cheaply made but still creaked.

My new home is concrete everything, ICF and floors so no more hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

In my opinion, it's not so much about the noise, it's more about the cracks that are visible in so many junctions/corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Thanks everyone - I think my conclusion is (she made it not me :D) is that we will be buidling a block house with good insulation

thanks board members for your input

• Advertisement
Advertisement