Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIMP MY SOCIETY 09/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

i'm going into 2nd year & didn't get at all into societies last year.. but i really want to this time round, do many people show up on their own or does everyone go in groups of 2 or more? i want to join a load of socs & meet new people, not just the people on my course..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

i'm going into 2nd year & didn't get at all into societies last year.. but i really want to this time round, do many people show up on their own or does everyone go in groups of 2 or more? i want to join a load of socs & meet new people, not just the people on my course..
    I think you're better off going on your own. I f you go with a friend, you could easily spend the whole time just talking to that friend and not meet anyone new. If you're on your own, you have to start talking to strangers. Which is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

What many 1st yrs and others dont know about societies is that there are 2 kinds of ways to "join a society". One is by signing up on socs day, getting contacted about events and being whats called an active member by going to the events of the society regularly. Thats fine and all for people who want that kind of involvement. However if you really want the true experience of "joining a society", you should try and join the committee of the society. Every society each year has between 4 and 15 or so committee members, depending on the size of the society. To get the true experience or working in a team and actually doing stuff, meeting new people, and getting all the society perks, joining a committee is the way to go. For most students the only way to do this is to go to an AGM for a society which usually all take place in March at the end of every year, and this is the best chance to go for a position for the coming year. However would of course mean first years dont get a chance to join a committee in their first year so thats why every committee is required to have at least one first year rep on their committee and they get these from enthusiastic students who sign up on societies day. So my advice to all freshers who really want to get involved in societies is chose which one looks like the one you'd enjoy the most (you can usually tell from the effort they went to with their stand on socs day how well run they are) and go up to them and ask them how you can be their first year rep. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

Hmm I wonder if theres any chance of a Toastmasters Society being set up.

Id have no idea how to go about it. But anyone ever attend a Toastmasters group outside of college?

Id say it would go down a treat as a club or society.

Does anyone know if theres something similar running in Ucc under a different name??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Haru

samf wrote: »
    What many 1st yrs and others dont know about societies is that there are 2 kinds of ways to "join a society". One is by signing up on socs day, getting contacted about events and being whats called an active member by going to the events of the society regularly. Thats fine and all for people who want that kind of involvement. However if you really want the true experience of "joining a society", you should try and join the committee of the society. Every society each year has between 4 and 15 or so committee members, depending on the size of the society. To get the true experience or working in a team and actually doing stuff, meeting new people, and getting all the society perks, joining a committee is the way to go. For most students the only way to do this is to go to an AGM for a society which usually all take place in March at the end of every year, and this is the best chance to go for a position for the coming year. However would of course mean first years dont get a chance to join a committee in their first year so thats why every committee is required to have at least one first year rep on their committee and they get these from enthusiastic students who sign up on societies day. So my advice to all freshers who really want to get involved in societies is chose which one looks like the one you'd enjoy the most (you can usually tell from the effort they went to with their stand on socs day how well run they are) and go up to them and ask them how you can be their first year rep. Best of luck.

Thanks for that piece of advice, it is really appreciated. Also looks like you really enjoy being part of the committee for a society. :)

Would you mind describing a bit how it went for you ? (What society you joined when you arrived, and do you have tips for those who would like to apply to join a committee ?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Skapoot wrote: »
    Hmm I wonder if theres any chance of a Toastmasters Society being set up.

Id have no idea how to go about it. But anyone ever attend a Toastmasters group outside of college?

Id say it would go down a treat as a club or society.

Does anyone know if theres something similar running in Ucc under a different name??

The Philosoph Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Haru wrote: »
    Thanks for that piece of advice, it is really appreciated. Also looks like you really enjoy being part of the committee for a society. :)

Would you mind describing a bit how it went for you ? (What society you joined when you arrived, and do you have tips for those who would like to apply to join a committee ?)

At this stage i could write a book about my experiences in societies in ucc! Basically in the past few years ive been on the committees on science, netsoc, fashion (i just did the website for them - fashion really isnt normally my thing!!), accounting and finance, and journalism.

Then last year i put all my previous experience together and restarted the entrepreneurial society as E+S soc (entrepreneurial and social). Couldnt recommend getting involved more, and if you dont then you'll just leave college regretting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 migo

It's stereotypical I know but I have to ask, what's the male to female ratio? I'd probably join whatever it is but I want prior warning.

It might be slightly male dominated but not much, depends on the events really. The auditor this year is female so maybe we'll see a change!
    I'd love to join Netsoc!You don't have to be doing BIS or Computer Science, though do you?

No of course not! Committee consists of 4 Comp Sci, 1 BIS, 2 Engineering and 2 Arts students (neither doing Comp Sci in Arts). You don't need to be interested in computers at all even, gaming is a huge focus of the society. They just want everyone to have fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

haha i just joined anything i could today, including the international relations, law society and YFG(btw they have really nice and good looking girls over there):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

Mario007 wrote: »
    haha i just joined anything i could today, including the international relations, law society and YFG(btw they have really nice and good looking girls over there):D

wait til the clubs and socs day, and bring a big empty rucksack.....

youll fill up on sweets and lollies for the year...

and maybe join a society if youre feeling generous with your email address...

• Advertisement

wait til the clubs and socs day, and bring a big empty rucksack.....

youll fill up on sweets and lollies for the year...

and maybe join a society if youre feeling generous with your email address...

great early christmas so:D i kinda cant wait for the whole of college to start to be honest, with the societies and clubs and all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

great early christmas so:D i kinda cant wait for the whole of college to start to be honest, with the societies and clubs and all:)

ahhhhhhhhhhhah i wanna start

ahhhhhhhhhhhah i wanna start

ya man same here, just wanna fly into it. two weeks seems an awful long while to wait:D

ya man same here, just wanna fly into it. two weeks seems an awful long while to wait:D

tell me about it!you and your orientation BLAST(stewie voice):D

tell me about it!you and your orientation BLAST(stewie voice):D

haha, don't worry you'll get to be a proper ucc student soon with an ID card and whatnot:D at least you wont have to wait long after your registration for the college proper

haha, don't worry you'll get to be a proper ucc student soon with an ID card and whatnot:D at least you wont have to wait long after your registration for the college proper

true infact the day after ill be back up there ha!woop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Aw man, you used to be cool....:pac:

haha..what affiliation would you have politically then??i wanna stay cool:p:p:pac:

haha..what affiliation would you have politically then??i wanna stay cool:p:p:pac:

See the OP... ;):)

dude i have valid reasons for joining:D i needed a new bag, the one i got as part of my freshers pack tore, i needed a few new pens, i wanted to annoy my friend, i need to figure out how a political party works and they really did have very good looking girls there:D

• Advertisement

See the OP... ;):)

ahhhhh the answers a lot:p

ahhhhh the answers a lot:p

Shaddup :pac:

Shaddup :pac:

:(:(ok..:D:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

dude i have valid reasons for joining:D i needed a new bag, the one i got as part of my freshers pack tore, i needed a few new pens, i wanted to annoy my friend, i need to figure out how a political party works and they really did have very good looking girls there:D
    Congratulations, you have just worked out why everyone does the majority of the stuff they do in college. You'll go far, young padawan. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

So the amount of actual information in this thread for people interested in joining specific societies is.... nil, or almost nil! Urgh, why did I waste time reading the past three pages.

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Congratulations, you have just worked out why everyone does the majority of the stuff they do in college. You'll go far, young padawan. :pac:

great! at least now i know many other people think along similar lines as me:D can't wait for the societies and clubs days, i'll be whoring around my email address for free stuff:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

For societies you don't want to join, but do want to extract free stuff from, always remember to have a fake email and possibly phone number in your back pocket. That way, you maximise the amount of free stuff you whilst minimizing the amount of hassle incurred.

ALincoln wrote: »
    For societies you don't want to join, but do want to extract free stuff from, always remember to have a fake email and possibly phone number in your back pocket. That way, you maximise the amount of free stuff you whilst minimizing the amount of hassle incurred.

ahh...good one!sweet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

440Hz wrote: »
    So the amount of actual information in this thread for people interested in joining specific societies is.... nil, or almost nil! Urgh, why did I waste time reading the past three pages.

Quoted for truth.

Guys, can we keep the off-topic banter to the, well, off topic thread, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

Sooo...

What day is clubs and socs sign up day?? How have some people signed up already..

I must have missed something..:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement