Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone help build a subwoofer amp?

Options
  • 06-09-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hey guys,
    im tryin to build an amp!
    i picked up two 200 watt speakers! problem is i dont have an amp!
    i think it would be intersting to build one or two!
    anyone got any hints? ideas on how to go about it?
    any links to sites which could help?
    am i just starting too high? thanks a lot!

speaker specs: 200w 4 ohm!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,804 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

http://www.diyaudio.com/

I think it would be cheaper to buy an amp, if cost is a factor in your thinking about building one.

Mains powered amps are usually rated for driving 8 ohm speakers, so a 100w amp should be all you require to deliver 200w to a 4ohm speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

cnocbui wrote: »
    http://www.diyaudio.com/

I think it would be cheaper to buy an amp, if cost is a factor in your thinking about building one.

Maplin do MOS-FET Amplifier kits up to about 200Watts The kits are cheap enough. The expensive bit is the power-supply and transformer
    Mains powered amps are usually rated for driving 8 ohm speakers, so a 100w amp should be all you require to deliver 200w to a 4ohm speaker.

There's something wrong with that logic I think. A 100 watt amp > 8 ohm speaker will drive a 4 ohm speaker at higher power, but it's limited by the capacity of its power supply and the electrical characteristics of the output transistors. What you're suggesting is that a 100 watt amp in 8 ohms (3.5 amps approx) can then deliver 200 watts into 4 ohms (7.1 amps approx). I doubt it somehow ?

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cyberbear

zener : you are sayin it is possible and worth while doin?
    cnocbiu: how much would an amp cost to buy for theese? how much to build? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A 200 watt Amplifier Kit is available for about 25 euro in Maplin in Blanchardstown SC.

This is the trafo required.

You'll also need a Bridge Rectifier and some large smoothing Capacitors and a substantial heatsink if you intend driving it hard.

Also note that the RMS output is only 100W into 4 ohms and 70W into 8 ohms.

Only you can decide if it's worth building, can you manage a soldering iron ? Do you have any experience of electricity or electronics ?

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cyberbear

yes i can use a solder iron! ive done some work with earphones and simple circuits but im takin this to get experience! i can get help so i dont think it should be a problem in building it as long as the words arent to complicated! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement