Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Earth - Street View

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I was standing outside A&E at Letterkenny General Hospital on Saturday evening when I saw what I thought was the Google Earth Street View car driving down towards the Hospital roundabout.

Anyone else see it or was I hallucinating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trazix

I seen it today on the atlantic drive in Downings. It's a red Astra. Not sure if it is Google they said they are only covering 5 of Irelands biggest towns/cities

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Yip. it was a red astra that drove down past the Hospital too.

The attachment to the roof looked very like any photos I've saw of the car so you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I saw it right at the top of Malin Head on Saturday at Bamba's Crown. A red 09 Astra with an elevated camera on the roof. The guy that was driving was a black haired guy with glasses 30-35, seemed eagar that I didnt stop to have too close a look, he pulled in to let me pass and as I slowed down he waved me on like he was impatient... I suppose he gets alot of people trying to pull him over for a talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,896 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I suppose he gets alot of people trying to pull him over for a talk.
    Even more so in certain parts of NI Id imagine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Just thought i'd add my sighting of this wagon
    - I seen the red Astra parked in Navenney Place carpark in Ballybofey on the evening of 13th August.Its was the Google street view yok alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Does this mean we might get proper Google satellite images for Donegal??? They cant really add street view without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

Yeah, the car was going round the Letterkenny estates about 2 weeks ago. Saw it up in Thornberry.

There was nothing to indicate that it was Google though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i seen it out at the dry arch shop in lk two weeks ago too. got a pic of it too. no google logo's on it which i thought was strange. can't think of any other google earth alternative that would be doing it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

muffler wrote: »
    Even more so in certain parts of NI Id imagine ;)

I didnt think of that! I remember 8 or 9 years back, the close up satelite photos of Ireland ommitted parts of Belfast and Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carr6775

I spotted the Astra on Saturday afternoon heading into Greencastle from Moville. It was definitely the Google Street View camera setup on the roof.

• Advertisement

heres a pic of the car. its 100% a google street view car, one of the lads working out in the mace dry arch shop was chatting to him, he has to cover every road in Donegal. he says it will be 8 months till its online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Senna wrote: »
    Does this mean we might get proper Google satellite images for Donegal??? They cant really add street view without it?

It would be nice to get decent satellite images alright, although I suppose Street View would still be usable with the maps.

Spotted the Astra this afternoon sitting on the hard shoulder on the Lifford exit off the Manor roundabout outside Letterkenny.

The question must now be asked - who's photographing who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

muffler wrote: »
    The question must now be asked - who's photographing who?

and how much was that patio heater?

I hope I'm not frozen for prosperity having a fly ciggie outside A&E:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

i wonder how much that driver is gettin paid? Google pay really good money i hear, and to be just driving around is such a sweet sweet job!

Seriously though. Did he do the roads in Gweedore before they were swept away with the floods?

And on a lighter note we could have an international spot the pothole competition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

How long will it take to drive every road in the county without breaking speed limit? How minor are they going?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

I see this thread gets a mention in the Donegal news this week in the section about the Street View car.

• Advertisement

I see this thread gets a mention in the Donegal news this week in the section about the Street View car.
    Those DN guys are still sniffin around here so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

And on a lighter note we could have an international spot the pothole competition!!

Yeah, maybe it'll take photos of him getting lost down one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Spotted today in Letterkenny

googlecar.jpg

:eek:

OMG there really was a patio heater under the cover,LOL!!!!

hey my picture is in Mondays Edition of the Donegal News :D and it wasnt an LG phone it was a Nokia 5800

inode wrote: »
    hey my picture is in Mondays Edition of the Donegal News :D and it wasnt an LG phone it was a Nokia 5800
    Have they stooped to pinching photos from here or do you work for them?

no they just pinched it and they didn't even mention boards.ie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Hey Inode, you are in the money now with all them royalties you will be getting and I am sure you could claim trax free status seeing as you are now a published artist !!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Another classy bit of journalisim by the DN - I hate that paper. Their website is even worse!

• Advertisement

no they just pinched it and they didn't even mention boards.ie :rolleyes:
    I cant tell you what to do but if it was me Id be on the phone to them.

Poor show from whats supposed to be a professional outfit and yes we do have one member of the DN staff who posts visits here

In fact Im going to look into this a bit more with the powers that be here.

Advertisement