Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Are there any contact lense sites that let you pay by laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Squiggle

GDM wrote: »
    Are there any contact lense sites that let you pay by laser?

getlenses allow you to pay by laser, dispatch from Ireland and guarantee to match the price of any UK supplier so check prices before you order from them - worth looking at lensbase for comparative purposes imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

what price do specsavers charge for 30 pairs of contact lenses? just the regular brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

syngindub wrote: »
    what price do specsavers charge for 30 pairs of contact lenses? just the regular brand.
    €17.50 per. 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Quick question - i use specsavers easy vision elite monthly lenses - how do i find what would be comparable to order from an online dealer?
    The only one that seems to be able to tell you is www.daysoftcontactlenses.com as mentioned earlier on this thread

• Advertisement

sillyputty wrote: »
    Quick question - i use specsavers easy vision elite monthly lenses - how do i find what would be comparable to order from an online dealer?
    The only one that seems to be able to tell you is www.daysoftcontactlenses.com as mentioned earlier on this thread

Yes but daysoft are dailies not monthlies. This list shows specsavers easy vision elite monthly lenses as being the same as Air Optix (formerly O2 Optix ) which I use myself. If you find them any cheaper than yourlenses, where I buy from without any problem, let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

One more question even though i am on the monthly disposibles would it be ok for me to just move to single-use?
    I went into specsavers today to get my prescription so im deffo going to buy my next course online.

sillyputty wrote: »
    One more question even though i am on the monthly disposibles would it be ok for me to just move to single-use?
    I went into specsavers today to get my prescription so im deffo going to buy my next course online.

The only way you will know if dailies are suitable is to get a trial pair ( or buy a months supply from daysoftlenses) and have them checked by an optician. My own personal experience with dailies is that while different types ( ie Specsavers and daysoftlenses ) were all comfortable when in my eyes my eyes always felt drier when I took the lenses out and first thing in the morning my eyes felt very dry. I don't have that problem with Air Optix monthlies and I also find that my vision is sharper with the Air Optix monthlies than with any other brand of monthly or indeed daily lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I just did a quick survey of most of the sites listed her for my extended wear contacts (Focus Air Optix Night and Day) and my usual site (lenscatalogue) still came out the cheapest.

One question about getlenses-do they let you pay in GBP if your address is in Ireland?

I looked at their €/£ exchange rate and it worked out at about £0.62 (£77.51 = €125) which is shocking when the credit card rate is around £0.87 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭acmj2007

thanks so much for this thread everyone:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Limerick1981

I have a hard contact lense for my right eye, I have a condition in that eye called "keratoconus" whereby my cornea is basically shaped like a rugby ball which makes my vision in that eye blurred and distorted, the lense really helps my vision but naturally it is not perfect. The vision in my other eye is fine so I don’t have a lense for that.

On various occasions I have lost the lense whereby it may have popped out and I would not be able to locate it. When I lose the lense I obviously have to replace it and order a new one. Given that the lense is made to order for my right eye it is not a standard lense

My optician is specsavers and the usual cost of the lense on previous occasions was €115. I recently lost the lense and had to order a new one. I was told on the 17/8/09 it would be €115 euro and €5 postage, that was fair enough. I then received a phone call from specsavers on the 18/8/09 to say that the lense price had actually gone up to €200. I was shocked and annoyed, typical rip off Ireland. Don’t get me wrong your eye sight is very n.b and I understand that i am lucky to have my vision but an >50% mark up on the lense is ridiculous considering that manufacturing is probably moved abroad, we are in the height of a recession and have wage cuts etc and yet prices everywhere are rising. €200 for one lense is pricey.

Does anyone know if you can order lense online, made to order if I get the dimensions from the optician? I presume that way I could get the lense at a cheaper price or would specsavers have deals made with the manufacturer? The last time i had to get the lense it came from England and the dimensions were on the package i recived it in. Anyone know if you can buy lenses online or get them made to certain dimensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Excellent! Some really helpful posts above. I'm now looking for more contacts so I think I'll try daysoftlenses now: 4 months supply - €47.92 versus Specsavers, 3 months supply - €90.

I hope my experience is as good as everybody elses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Dionysus wrote: »
    Excellent! Some really helpful posts above. I'm now looking for more contacts so I think I'll try daysoftlenses now: 4 months supply - €47.92 versus Specsavers, 3 months supply - €90.

I hope my experience is as good as everybody elses here.

just seen your other post. monthly lenses would be cheaper than the dailies if you were wearing them a lot.
    i was looking for dailies when i got them first but at the price i thought i was better go for monthlies!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rojerdandry

Just ordered 64 pairs of daysoft's brand in place of 1 day acuvue moist for €24 delivered! Specsavers would have cost €120! Hope they turn out okay... If they do I'll be saving at least €600 quid a year... Jeebus!icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Ordered a month supply of daysoft 58 dailies for €15.98 euro!!!!

http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/IE

received them yesterday and am thrilled! Have been paying €50 a month for years for my contacts!!!
    My optician will now be used only for the required check up! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Silver33 wrote: »
    Ordered a month supply of daysoft 58 dailies for €15.98 euro!!!!

http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/IE

received them yesterday and am thrilled! Have been paying €50 a month for years for my contacts!!!
    My optician will now be used only for the required check up! :p

Let us know what you think of the Daysoft compared to your old ones, Silver. I've also just ordered from daysoft for the first time so I'll let everybody know what I think of them compared to my current Proclear daily disposable lenses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Gonna give those daysoft a lash too. I'll report back. I have a stigmatism so my vision wont be perfect with them, but I've worn normal lenses before.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

well guys the Daysoft lens are just fantastic! Worn for 13 hours the other day and no bother at all! I just wish I knew about this website sooner and could have saved myself a tidy sum!
    Will miss the friendly chats every month with optician staff though! :D

Just ordered mine now. Looking forward to giving them a lash. They're the ryanair of contant lenses. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just a quick reply to the earlier posts about possible charges when requesting your prescription - I wasn't aware of this at all & just simply said I'd got my lenses mixed up and could they confirm the prescription. no probs whatsoever.

Just wondering if any monthly contact wearers have changed to the daily option on the daysoft.com site? Curious but will stick with massive savings on yourlenses.ie for another while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

Squiggle wrote: »
    Yes but daysoft are dailies not monthlies. This list shows specsavers easy vision elite monthly lenses as being the same as Air Optix (formerly O2 Optix ) which I use myself. If you find them any cheaper than yourlenses, where I buy from without any problem, let us know.

get my Bosche & Lamb Purevision (same as Air Optix) monthly disposables.. i.e. wear them all month then throw em away...

box of 6 = 27.95 so for 6 months 2 boxes..

55.90 for 6 months.. delivery was 2.93.. so 6 months supply 58.83

daysoft lenses just arrived today. I've just put them in about 10 minutes ago. They're comfortable enough (for now anyway). I think I made a slight balls up on the prescription (I took a stab at the left eye and think I shot low). Anyway, I can test the right eye prescription (another 0.5 lower) tomorrow and report back. As it is, right eye (astigmatism) more or less bang on, left eye just a little bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Just got prices for 90 pairs of Ciba Vision Focus Dailies toric (for astigmatism) from a few of the previously named sites

http://www.aclens.com - $144 (€100) including shipping (when using promo code)

www.yourlenses.ie - €162.20 including shipping

www.getlenses.ie - €155 not including shipping

www.lenscatalogue.co.uk - £120 (€136) including shipping

www.visiondirect.com - $143 (€100) not including shipping

Went with Ac lens cause i used them before and they are also the cheapest. The promo code is for a 10% discount. Just enter ACLTEN into the special instructions box.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 david5624

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    One question about getlenses-do they let you pay in GBP if your address is in Ireland?

I use get lenses and always order in sterling as always significantly cheaper than in euro. They also provide 13 months supply for 12 month order.

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Just ordered yesterday from Daysoft. thanks a lot for this thread guys! Will post when I recive and try the lenses out. From the previous posts, this shouldnt seem to be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

My two months supply (32 pairs *2) arrived from Daysoft today. Going to try them out tomorrow. Total cost including delivery €23.96. Total bargain! Thanks forthe recommendation! I'll post feed back soon about how I get on with them - but I'm optimistic :D

They took 6 working days to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Just ordered yesterday from Daysoft. thanks a lot for this thread guys! Will post when I recive and try the lenses out. From the previous posts, this shouldnt seem to be a problem!
    these arrived today - think i'll be ordering from these more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

pugwall wrote: »
    My two months supply (32 pairs *2) arrived from Daysoft today. Going to try them out tomorrow. Total cost including delivery €23.96. Total bargain! Thanks forthe recommendation! I'll post feed back soon about how I get on with them - but I'm optimistic :D

They took 6 working days to arive.

Never had any problem with them myself, as comfortable as any other set!
    Max Power1 wrote: »

Certainly not, handy little packs enable fast postage aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Wore them for 14 hours today and they are as comfortable as any other pair I've worn. RECOMMEND!!!! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

can anybody give me advice as to best daily disposables to use . I have dry eyes. I only wear them once or twice a week, for golf, but find that even with the accuvue moist my eyes are still quite bloodshot when I remove them. They would only be in my eyes for a max of 6 hours.

Thank you.

Advertisement