Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think meeting people from Boards.ie is weird?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Simple question.

Do you think meeting the people you interact with on Boards, at real life, Boards-organised events, is in any way weird?

I don't.

I have set up a football team, which involved going to the Phoenix Park and meeting a bunch of people I'd never met before, and getting them to give me a hundred euro each :D

I first started going to Boards Beers when BGRH was branching into the "Real World". I was a bit apprehensive, but on-line the people seemed nice and friendly, and so they were in real life. One person in particular was very friendly indeed :P

I've also done a few Podcasts, and some of the people who were involved with them, I hadn't met before. And of course, being listened to by however many people was a cool thing to do too.

I've made some great friends by being involved with these different things.

I do have other, non-internet, friends, who I meet up with more often than I would see the friends I've made on Boards, so I wasn't some weirdo hermit before I found Boards either.

One thing that happened recently, and I thought was quite strange.

A "non-internet" friend of mine, who happens to play for Boardeaux, was in the pub and talking to a girl he met there. A friend of his OH. He got to talking about the team, and the girl asked him "Oh, you must know Des then". She knew me from Boards. :)

So, what do you think?

Do you think it's weird 218 votes

Yes, totally weird. You big weirdo.
    0%
    Nope, not weird at all.
    33%
    Tom DunneDSGoodshapedougaldjk1000parasitejesus_thats_greSeiferGummy PandaDiageio_Manfunk-youmukkiArcheronAlessandraLone StoneArathornCPT. SURFEuro_KrautJim236BillyGoatGruff 74 votes
    Atari weird-u-are
    66%
    Karl HungusSeanehlaykeDas KittylivEwirERuu_OldCreatureJimDapperGentNevynJilmkensutz[Deleted User]andrewZaphrainbow kirbythemetallifandlofnep_blank_Xiney 144 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Atari weird-u-are
    Nope, love meeting boards people!

Been to (and organised) a lot of the Cork meetups and everyone has been super nice, I talk a lot and out of about 20 people I have met I have only found it hard talking to 2 of them. They were kinda shy so prob not used to someone like me.

I love you boardsies - not in a gay way I promise, now thank me and give me fuzzies and happies inside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

"I have set up a football team, which involved going to the Phoenix Park and meeting a bunch of people I'd never met before, and getting them to give me a hundred euro each.. :)

Nice! I must remember that next time I'm broke :) nah I play an on line soccer game called footstar have meet up with lads from that for Boozers/BBQ's and they are some of the soundest guys I've ever meet and have become v good friends with them.

My opinion is that you've something in common with the person straight off be it using the same forums, same interest in sports etc.... so makes it easier to get along with the person as you already have a starting point.

Agree though that some people who don't do it think its wierd I've no problem with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No not really.

It might be a bit intimidating or scary meeting someone who was just a username on a website. Not me though i'll meet anyone, anywhere, anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As I whimped out of the last chance of a boards meet up, I'd better take the fifth amendment on this one:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Atari weird-u-are
    No it's not weird. I've met many people off boards and most of them have been easy to get along with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Atari weird-u-are
    Des wrote: »
    I have set up a football team, which involved going to the Phoenix Park and meeting a bunch of people I'd never met before, and getting them to give me a hundred euro each :D

I think I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Nah - there's nothing weird about it. In fact more and more people are looking at with less suspicion if I mention something I read on boards and loads of people are on different web forums these days and they realise that they're not just full or odd loners and hardcore nerds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Atari weird-u-are
    Not at all, went for pints with plenty of boardsies over the years, and I've got some long standing friends that I've met through boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I would never meet anyone off here, its just too risky for people to know what I actually look like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Only ever met one Boardsie in the flesh. Turned out a guy I knew from work was a mod on a forum I read every day, many lolls about that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Atari weird-u-are
    who wouldnt want to meat a boardsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Atari weird-u-are
    My lovely ladyfriend was met at a boards meetup so I'm all for it.

Thanks to the fighting game forum, I've met a bunch of people I can meet and play Street Fighter with.

Boardsies are generally sound in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've never met anyone from Boards bar a mate I know in college who actually got me to sign up to boards in the first place.

I've always wanted to meet my fellow Newcastle fan Charlie over on the soccer forum though.

I wonder if he looks like I picture him.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Nope, not weird at all.
    Yes, it is. Dont let anyone tell you differant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Atari weird-u-are
    Not at all weird. I met Maddison only last week, sound and really puridy! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Atari weird-u-are
    Abigayle wrote: »
    I met Maddison only last week

May god have mercy on your soul :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Atari weird-u-are
    I'm actually a little surprised about how many think it is weird. I kinda assumed most people here know a few people who either post on boards, or have attended some boards function at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No problem with it myself.

Have played for Des' team when it was first set up, been out with some of the Soccer forum lads on the lash, and had a Boards Beers here in Perth.

I also post on a Manchester City forum and met a few of the lads from there when I went to Denmark for an away game earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yes it is incredibly weird. I wouldn't do it. Sure wasn't a boards user assaulted and abducted via the boot of a car a few years back by another boards user. I remember the thread about it. I'm not joking.

Atari weird-u-are
    Abigayle wrote: »
    Not at all weird. I met Maddison only last week, sound and really puridy! :pac:

She said she thinks you are hawt. Gotta agree, I have seen your pics ;)

Atari weird-u-are
    May god have mercy on your soul :D

Oh there was no drink involved! We were shopping :pac:

I'll take that as a warning though :D

Edit// Thanks Tut :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Elessar wrote: »
    Yes it is incredibly weird. I wouldn't do it. Sure wasn't a boards user assaulted and abducted via the boot of a car a few years back by another boards user. I remember the thread about it. I'm not joking.

Nah Eimear wasn't a boards user, only Jigsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I didn't think any of you were real :confused:

Just a bit like voices in my head but from my laptop instead........telling me to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

keefg wrote: »
    I didn't think any of you were real :confused:

Just a bit like voices in my head but from my laptop instead........telling me to do things.
    Only some of us are like that.
    Me for example................make me a sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭x MarK x

Atari weird-u-are
    " so I wasn't some weirdo hermit before I found Boards either"

Find this very condescending. There are lots of people out their who are very self conscious, and find it very difficult to meet new people, and its simply their anxiety which holds them back. They are NOT "weirdo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Nope, not weird at all.
    I guess its not weird if your really "into" Boards.ie; like you have a load of imagery/quotations/other stuff below your name, or your a MOD of like seven forums, or your post count is astronomical, so on and so forth. Otherwise you probably have enough friends

Atari weird-u-are
    You are welcome Abigayle, post a pic and show the lads and ladies how hawt you are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I bought something off a guy from here, and it felt a bit weird meeting him, but he turned out to be sound. I also met a guy who done some work for the house I'm building and he turned out be really helpful, both on and off boards.

No bad experiences to report and tbh I can't imagine too many weirdo's being on boards.

There are a few people I would like to put a face to (Sharpshooter, Tar, Abigayle, Saibh , VinylMesh, My name is URL, Phasers) , and some I'd rather not (Turd, Flutt, etc ) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Nah, it's not weird.

Some of the people you meet might be though.

<_<
    >_>

Atari weird-u-are
    kingtut wrote: »
    You are welcome Abigayle, post a pic and show the lads and ladies how hawt you are :)

Ohhh. I've just thought of a question for your thread =P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Nah, it's not weird.

Some of the people you meet might be though.

<_<
    >_>
    Hello!!:D

Advertisement