Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIN BINS FOR WORST FAMILIES

Options
  • 06-08-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-families

Fantastic idea imo. I really wish they had something similar in place here. The amount of lowest form of life cúnt families I have witnessed get away with so much over the years. This may seem a bit extreem but is definitely an excellent move.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

THOUSANDS of the worst families in England are to be put in “sin bins” in a bid to change their bad behaviour, Ed Balls announced yesterday.

The Children’s Secretary set out £400million plans to put 20,000 problem families under 24-hour CCTV super-vision in their own homes.
    Recouping costs by selling the rights to Channel 4. Big Brother to take on a new "face off" format, with competing houses.

In a more serious note, that is a truely terrifying plan if there is any truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

big brother on steroids :eek:

I'd rather see the money spent on education and start from a young age. Educate and work upwards. Old dogs, new tricks and all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Good idea!
    Shooting them would be better fun though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

i dont see what good it will do, the reason the familes are 'problems' is because they refuse to abide the law in the first place. with 24 hour CCTV, the authorites will know exactly what they are doing.....but what happens next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Horrible idea

Why do they have these retarded nanny state initiatives rather than properly punishing criminals when they break the law? =/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

At least they have the Balls to do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Who's supplying the gas chambers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's all a bit too Nineteen Eighty Four. 24 hour supervision in your own homes?! That is way too extreme.

On another note:
    Ed Balls. Tee hee hee....

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Is spike island free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It seriously baffles me jow anyone of decent character can say this is too extreme for such families. For making everyone else's life a misery, contributing nothing to the economy among other things, why the hell do they deserve any joy in their lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Jay D wrote: »
    why the hell do they deserve any joy in their lives?

Because they're human, and (hopefully) we're not gonna stoop below their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is spike island free?
    nope...
    € 350..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if it happened here dolphins barn would be a ghost town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

davyjose wrote: »
    Because they're human, and (hopefully) we're not gonna stoop below their level.

Right you obviously have no idea whatsoever what damage these individuals do to the decent hard working families living in their vicinity. The anxiety of having thugs and the like cause constant pointless damage, just for the sake of badness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

His name is Mr. Balls.

I can't take that seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Shameless is a documentary, well it could easily be based on a few families I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wasn't there a thread about this last week when the story first came out?

Besides, the bit about the CCTV is bollocks.
    Families will not be monitored by CCTV in their own homes. Through Family Intervention Projects (FIPs) we are supporting and challenging the small number of families involved in persistent anti-social behaviour. FIP workers spend time observing families in their own homes, helping them to recognise that their anti-social behaviour is unacceptable. They focus on the causes of their behaviour, and challenge them to make changes so they can turn their lives around. A very small number of families who need further intensive support are placed in residential units with project workers living with them – this does not involve CCTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Deep sin bins full of water with sides that offer no grip, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should round them up from all over Europe, for starters, and let them colonise the moon. I'm sure they're all dim enough to fall for the "there's plenty oxygen up there" routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

i dont see what good it will do, the reason the familes are 'problems' is because they refuse to abide the law in the first place. with 24 hour CCTV, the authorites will know exactly what they are doing.....but what happens next?

I agree completely agree. A lot of these people have no shame. They're not going to behave any differently just bacause they're being watched. I can imagine them giving the finger to the cameras and going about their regular everyday business of neglect and crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

While I find the initiative a bit extreme and ludicrous.But tbh I see where they are coming from especially when they faced with challenges such as

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-299691/Teen-pregnancy-soars.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1490850/Britons-despair-of-big-increase-in-anti-social-behaviour.html

Desperate situations need desperate measures/actions.

procure11 wrote: »
    While I find the initiative a bit extreme and ludicrous.But tbh I see where they are coming from especially when they faced with challenges such as

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-299691/Teen-pregnancy-soars.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1490850/Britons-despair-of-big-increase-in-anti-social-behaviour.html

Desperate situations need desperate measures/actions.
    Nice choice of newspapers there...:rolleyes:

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Nice choice of newspapers there...:rolleyes:

Lol...does it really matter what newspaper I quote about an endemic problem that is well recognised/acknowledged...or are you just taking a piss....

Ok lets asuume you are finicky...what would be your preferred sources Sir???:rolleyes:

P.S...I dont think there is anything really weird about those newspapers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

This b*tch should definitely be up there. It is a bit much but ignorance tends to breed ignorance and education starts at home. Although, it WOULD raise concerns as to what people would write into 'Pick Me Up' and the like with and then I would be left without other people's misfortune to read about. bit of a Catch 22, tbh...

Lol...does it really matter what newspaper I quote about an endemic problem that is well recognised/acknowledged...or are you just taking a the piss....?

Ok lets asuume assume you are finicky...what would be your preferred sources Sir???:rolleyes:

P.S...I dont don't think there is anything really weird about those newspapers!!
    That's being finicky.;)

Seriously though, The Sun and The Mail are sensationalist rags to say the least and hardly known for their balanced reporting.

That's being finicky.;)

Seriously though, The Sun and The Mail are sensationalist rags to say the least and hardly known for their balanced reporting.

Bless you...you must have spent a lot of time going through the post to observe such horrendous spellings :eek:...I'll take extra care in future when responding to you :o.

The Sun and the mail may be sensationalist rags to you but they are still widely read newsprints and your assertions about them is very debatable....
    I would assume it is dependent on each individual's taste/ideology...just because they do not appeal to you doesn't in any way/manner make them less credible.I would very much like for you to point out a newspaper that is balanced in their reporting.

Seriously though,the contents of the earlier quoted links are very much true and widely acknowledged.

Bless you...you must have spent a lot of time going through the post to observe such horrendous spellings :eek:...I'll take extra care in future when responding to you :o.

The Sun and the mail may be sensationalist rags to you but they are still widely read newsprints and your assertions about them is very debatable....
    I would assume it is dependent on each individual's taste/ideology...just because they do not appeal to you doesn't in any way/manner make them less credible.I would very much like for you to point out a newspaper that is balanced in their reporting.

Seriously though,the contents of the earlier quoted links are very much true and widely acknowledged.

Just because they are widely read (and I use the word very loosely with regard to The Sun) doesn't mean that their content is credible. Actually, I would probably argue that the fact that they are so widely read makes them less credible.

Sensationalism sells newspapers, so the more sensational (however isolated) the incident, the better for the newspapers.

Just because they are widely read (and I use the word very loosely with regard to The Sun) doesn't mean that their content is credible. Actually, I would probably argue that the fact that they are so widely read makes them less credible.

Sensationalism sells newspapers, so the more sensational (however isolated) the incident, the better for the newspapers.

After all said!!...Any truth in the Quoted links??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ed Balls *sniggers*

Advertisement