Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaslight Anthem

• 04-01-2009 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this band deserved their own thread. I know theres a fair few fans on here from the "Album of the Year" thread so heres the place to wax lyrically about them! The 59 Sound is probably my second favourite album of the year, absolutely incredible. MTV2 have started playing Old White Lincoln so I expect them to gather mainstream media attention quite soon.

Aside, anyone going to their gig in March? Should be fantastic :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

To me these are watered down killers. Nothing special. They'll prob make a nice noise like the kooks et al and then follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah, they're a real mixture of The Killers and The Boss. The album is a real grower though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The lyrics are miles above what the killers could write tbh. It's a very good record, but yeah, very Bruce-inspired :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

the 59 is really good but i've found myself listening to sink or swim more over the last few weeks, either way i've not been excitedly looking forward to a gig so much in a long time - i really can't comprehend the kooks comparison, man they suck, not even remotely similar style or background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I dont think there the second coming or anything but there a good band with some fine tunes. Have heard comparisons made to the killers but i think they've more depth to them especially in the lyrics department but they definitely have the whole jersey bruce thing going on, which isnt a bad thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

The lyrics are miles above what the killers could write tbh. It's a very good record, but yeah, very Bruce-inspired :D

Really?
    I find them to be an embarrassing rip-off of the Killers and whoever the Killers ripped off in the first place.

Lyrics like these are practically libel / slander or whatever you're having.

"And Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand
    Always kinda sorta wished I looked like Elvis
    And in my head there's all these classic cars
    And outlaw cowboy bands
    I always kinda sorta wish I'm someone else"
    - The Gaslight Anthem - High Lonesome

mathie wrote: »
    Really?
    I find them to be an embarrassing rip-off of the Killers and whoever the Killers ripped off in the first place.

Lyrics like these are practically libel / slander or whatever you're having.

"And Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand
    Always kinda sorta wished I looked like Elvis
    And in my head there's all these classic cars
    And outlaw cowboy bands
    I always kinda sorta wish I'm someone else"
    - The Gaslight Anthem - High Lonesome

Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand and said she's like to meet a boy who looked like Elvis- Round here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Is that not the point of it though? They are deliberately referencing songs they grew up with, pretending to actually be the people the various other bands were writing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Heard them for the first time today - I though I was the only one who thought they sounded like the killers...until I came here:pac:
    I prefer the killers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fook me it's like The Killers mark II!

Tbh I like the album and it's what I expected 'Day & Age' to sound like. Alas it's in fact a crock of shite.

Definitely listenable, cheers for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Watered down Killers? Don't think so!

From what I've heard, they sound a bit more raw, and actually decent. The Killers sucketh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tbh, the only comparison I meant when I mentioned the Killers was the sound of the lead singer, especially in Old White Lincoln.

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Watered down Killers? Don't think so!

From what I've heard, they sound a bit more raw, and actually decent. The Killers sucketh!

You do know who the killers are right? There is not a big jump from the killers to these and vice versa. Vocally and musically.

lordgoat wrote: »
    You do know who the killers are right? There is not a big jump from the killers to these and vice versa. Vocally and musically.

Vocally, not musically. Not from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The killers could never come up with lyrics on a par with these though:

"Mary, I worried and stalled every night of my life.
    Better safe than making the party.
    And I never had a good time, I sat my bedside, with papers and poetry about Estella.
    With great expectations, we had the greatest expectations.

I saw tail lights last night in a dream about my first wife.
    Everybody leaves and I'd expect as much from you.
    I saw tail lights last night in a dream about my old life.
    Everybody leaves, so why, why wouldn't you?"

The killers could never come up with lyrics on a par with these though:

"Mary, I worried and stalled every night of my life.
    Better safe than making the party.
    And I never had a good time, I sat my bedside, with papers and poetry about Estella.
    With great expectations, we had the greatest expectations.

I saw tail lights last night in a dream about my first wife.
    Everybody leaves and I'd expect as much from you.
    I saw tail lights last night in a dream about my old life.
    Everybody leaves, so why, why wouldn't you?"

Yeah the Killers' lyrics are kinda dumbed down a bit, or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

There is no comparison with the Killers.. First album was the only decent one. Saw the Gaslight Anthem live this week and i was blown away. The Killers lyrics are so mainstream and totally dumbed down.. dont get me wrong i like the Killers but The GA are definately ones to watch... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

I don't really care for The Gaslight Anthem, but I in no way see The Killer's comparison. They are one of the worst, most over rated bands to come along in quiet some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Beeinmybonnet

When I first heard them, I thought they were a rip-off of the Killers. But the album grew on me - went to see them recently in the Academy and was an excellent gig - the lead singer was a really sound guy and his voice was excellent live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I wouldn't insult them by comparing them to either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Mr.S wrote: »
    their like a mix between Kings of Leon and The Killers, class band:)

Talk about damning with faint praise!

Where on earth are people getting The Killers comparisons from? They're both influenced by Bruce Springsteen (but the Gaslight Anthem much more so) and, um, that's it. There's nary a synth to be heard on any Gaslight Anthem song I can think of.

Anyways, the album's good but nothing special.

Your man's voice sounds very much like Brandon Flowers in a number of songs.

Only the Killers songs where Flowers is doing his faux-Springsteen voice

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

They do have slightly similar voices, though the guy from The Gaslight Anthem's is much stronger.
    But musically, I just don't hear much similarity to The Killers, apart from maybe a few songs off Sam's Town. Certainly nothing off Hot Fuss (haven't heard the most recent Killer's album).

As far as I can tell, it's not a similarity to the Killers per se, it's a mutual similarity between The Gaslight Anthem and The Killers circa Sams Town to Springsteen.

It is very much a 'Sam's Town' comparison alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Anyone else think they sound a bit like The Cure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I love these guys, they're my favourite band atm. Saw em at Oxegen and they were unreal. I love the way Brian Fallon, the singer, is constantly smiling. Always gives the impression he's actually enjoying himself. I think the Killers comparison comes purely from the sound of his voice. I much prefer Gaslight anyway. I think they're gonna be massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

B side album out at the end of January 2014
    'The B-Sides' tracklisting is:

'She Loves You'
    'The '59 Sound' (Acoustic)
    'State of Love and Trust' (Live)
    'Tumbling Dice'
    'The Queen of Lower Chelsea' (Acoustic)
    'Songs for Teenagers'
    'Great Expectations' (Acoustic)
    'Antonia Jane' (Acoustic)
    'American Slang' (Acoustic)
    'Boxer' (Acoustic)
    'Once Upon a Time
    '
    Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-gaslight-anthem--2/74147#s3aQAZed71cilsDF.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Love the band but that is a dire set list....think there is also a live dvd of their gigs in London earlier this year out soon too.

Advertisement