Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto Online - Irish style

Options
  • 22-07-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Lotto Online - Irish style:

1) You can only register by sending a copy of your passport or driving license by post - which will probably put off about 95% of the playing public - thjs is blamed on "legal reasons"

2) When you do the above, as I have, you decide one night to have a flutter - but the 'Play online' part of the website CLOSES DOWN FOR THE NIGHT (I think from 10pm until the following morning) - God knows why.

3) So the next morning (though at this point you are wondering why you didn't just go to a shop and do it) you proceed to do your syndicates lotto - You enter the numbers for 8 lines and select to play for 8 draws - Lotto online correctly tells you that this will cost €96. You hit play but are told:

"This amount exceeds your daily maximum of €75".

Your blood pressure starts to rise. You go to account options - Eureka!!! There is an option to "Edit the maximum daily amount". But no, no - you can only edit it DOWNWARDS - Lotto will never let you spend more than €75 in one day!

4) You ring the National Lottery Customer Support Line:

Me: "Hi, I've filled out 8 lines on YOUR website and selected "8 draws". That's €96. But you won't let me spend more than €75. Surely if there is any limit it should be €96 (excl. lotto plus)?"

Lottery: " That seems a bit silly. Hold on and I'll check. ...........Ok I've checked - the limit of €75 was set by the regulator"

Me: "When this was being discussed with the regulator could you not have pointed out to them that this amount doesn't fit with your own 8 line template? Who is the Regulator for Lotto anyway?"

Lottery: "I don't know. Maybe the Department of Finance. I agree it sounds silly."

Me: "I might find out and email them. Don't suppose you know why you close down every night stopping people playing after 10pm?"

Lottery: "No, but I'd imagine it was the regulator".

So there you go. Postal identification, Website Closing Hours, Maximum limits that don't correspond to your corner shop, and a Regulator (which might well be Finance) that obviously thinks it knows how to save us from ourselves. (Maybe they think we might be drunk and gamble too much after 10pm!)

A brief look at the UK lottery website did not suggest any of the above stupidity.

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Isn't the 10pm thing in the shops as well?

Didn't know you could play Lotto online in Ireland. Nice find :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭siobhank

I have signed up for it! Tonight is my first draw. It's great because you can just renew for your 8 draws every month. Hurrah!
    Was born on Wed the 22nd so maybe it's my lucky night?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

siobhank wrote: »
    It's great because you can just renew for your 8 draws every month. Hurrah!

Once you don't spend more than €75 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

just signed up for it. do i have to send them my driving licence or will a photocopy of it do??

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

No laser option either - you think they would prefer people playing with money they actually have instead of playing lotto on credit :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

just tried to login to check my numbers - it doesn't just stop you PLAYING online at night, you can't even log in and check your account at all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭jacool

i too fell for the charm of how easy it could be to run my 2 syndicates here from work, but no, that would have been too helpful.
    and €75 ?? who worked that one out ?

the only thing that might have been at issue here is trying to convince my lottery colleagues that the printout really was a valid ticket !!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Why do the Lotto at all.Go to the bookies and place your Lotto bets,the odds are better.Place your bets anytime day or night.
    Open an account with Paddy power they will accept your bets anytime and pay out better if you win.
    I'd say the Lotto people think their computers are paid overtime after 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭jacool

If you're a dreamer then you like the chance of winning €5,000,000 or €7,000,000 or like this Friday €40,000,000. PP's are limited to a maximum payout of €250,000, and I ain't gonna be retiring on that. The playing of a lottery is for the dreams of the big win (no lecture required on the actual chances here,please) just saying why people play. Well, me, anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭davehey79

anyone have any either if they took the check ur numbers section off the lott.ie site or am i completely blind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sfxoneill

bookerboy wrote: »
    Why do the Lotto at all.Go to the bookies and place your Lotto bets,the odds are better.Place your bets anytime day or night.
    Open an account with Paddy power they will accept your bets anytime and pay out better if you win.
    I'd say the Lotto people think their computers are paid overtime after 10pm
    Have to agree with this, much better return for say 3 numbers compared to the couple of quid you get in the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Also take note that the instant games results are pre-determined before you play. So if there is a multiple choice in the game, like the Angels and Devils game, your choice of boxes is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrnobodyfan87

This thread was originally posted in 2009 but now 4 years late the situation hasn't improved.

I just went to play online. Picked a QP and my numbers on another line and hit play. It asked me to log in or create an account so I created an account.

Had a scan of my passport handy so I uploaded that..

The problem is.. have my 2 lines gone through? I can't log in to the site since my account has to be approved. What happens if the numbers I picked are the winning numbers?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Lotto Plus 2: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 33

holy crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The problems are due to the terms of the existing licence and the Govt. The new licence issued next year to Camelot/An Post will have no such restrictions and you should be able to play like gambling on Paddy Power.

Advertisement