Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalica - August 2009

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Fifth time seeing them and was interesting. Having never heard Fight Fire, Turn The Page, Motorbreath, Killing Time and all the DM songs bar Cyanide live I was glad to hear some new live additions. That being said, everything else from the set was a bit stale to me. Not knocking them at all but just think that they may want to mix up the show a bit. The variations to song locations on the set (One mid set, Whiskey third track etc.) really made a difference and something more of a shake up to the general show might help things cause at the moment they're just repeating the same gig each year bar a few new set additions. Great gig though, not knocking it, just suggesting! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I had the joy of working beside Marley during the Metallica gig last night and although I didn't get to see them, they sounded great.

I'm not a fan either, so that should say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Rb wrote: »
    I had the joy of working beside Marley during the Metallica gig last night and although I didn't get to see them, they sounded great.

I'm not a fan either, so that should say something.

Are you into other kinds of metal or was this sort of a first for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

I must say, that was an absolutely amazing gig!
    I got there with a few friends shortly after 11am. Never been to Marlay Park before so when I saw the size and beauty of the park itself, I was amazed! We spent about 30mins trying to find the entrance and when we finally did we found a cue. :P
    The cue was almost as much fun as the concert itself. Being the origin of a load of random chants (including Spongebob, who likes short shorts, etc) and starting singing Bohemian Rhapsody and getting a load of guys to finish it. It was epic! I lost a good bit of my voice before I even got in! Lmao.
    When they finally started letting people in all you could hear was the roar of cheers. I was lucky enough to not only get the ticket for free, but to get a pit pass! :D It was unfortunate though, one of the first things I saw when I got in was paramedics helping a guy who had an epileptic fit. If you're reading this, I hope you're alright and you got to see everything you wanted to last night. :)
    Anyway, I went to get something to eat (10 inch pizza for 6euro, not too bad) and got myself an AIC tour t-shirt (I made sure Lars didn't get a cent of my money. ^_^) and then went to the pit. Glyder were pretty good. Not many were up at the front for them.
    First time I had heard Mastodon really, and I have to say, I'm not impressed at all. It just sounded like 1 really long song. Longer than the other bands seemed to have! (did they get a longer set or something?).
    It wasn't till now that my interests were up. I HAD to get as close as I could for AIC. I managed to get 2 people behind the front barrier at the very center of the stage where the lead mic/front speakers were. I seemed to be the only one going absolutely crazy for them! JERRY POINTED AT ME!! :D Wish they had longer on though.. And they better come back next year!
    I had seen A7X back in February 2008 so I was expecting the intro. I couldn't help but lol a bit as I saw things being thrown at them; I hadn't seen that for any of the other bands. But I was very happy they played 2 songs from the Waking the Fallen album! And the bit with Walk was funny! Syn was just like "f*ck no!". My friend was killing himself afterwards as he was right next to that Russle kid and was wearing a Pantera t-shirt! Their set seemed very short though.
    That hour up to Metallica was very sore. My legs were already killing me from people kneeing me at the back of my knees (Bloody sore) and I could barely more as I had been standing since 11am and it was 8pm at that stage. >_<
    When they finally came on I was more crushed than ever! I could barely move; no one around me was. After a few songs (I can't remember how many, I know it was after whisky) I decided to get the hell out of there. I decided it was much more fun to mosh till you die than not being able to move at all (Irony, I know). I managed to run into 2 of my friends there too so it was more fun! Unfortunately, the huge circle pit where we were had an *sshat in it too. There was one guy with rings on each finger and was actually going to punch people; he cliped me on the arm and got a guy in the face. FINALLY the security guards threw him out and there was cheers all around! We could finally enjoy moshing without having our heads punched in. The pits for Master and fight fire were probably some of the deadlyist and most fun! The jets of fire was an amazing addition too! :D
    Oh, and around then the ring guy was back in and it looked like someone had f*cked up his nose pretty badly as there was blood all over his face and he was holding his nose. Got what he deserved at least.

To sum it all up, quite a great concert! I was hoping for a freebird cover though.. :P

Also, If anyone found a black zipper Rise Against hoody in the pit area, please let me know!! I had put it in a friend's bag and it wasn't there at the end of the night when I really wanted it... :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭mr.benn

Hi all,
    I found a digital camera during the first song of metallicas marlay park set.
    It seems to be a very good quality and having scanned through the first few picsi would say the owner is a girl around 16/17 years old.Anyway i would love for it to be returned to its rightful owner so anyone who lost or knows someone who lost a camera p.m me whenever you want!,
    Thanks guys for your time!

O and metallica kicked ass as always,6th times and still wanting more!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Are you into other kinds of metal or was this sort of a first for you?
    Not really "into" metal at all to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

the gig was excellent was up at the drinks/food place for madistoon n missed glyder, but alice wer great n a7x wer alot better than i thought they would be.. and metallica were brilliant!!!!!!!

did any one buy the booklet thing.. the programme or what ever you call it..
    well if you did look behind the cover with the places n dates of the concerts:p they have it down as faryhouse racecourse rather than marley park:p:D

the gig was excellent was up at the drinks/food place for madistoon n missed glyder, but alice wer great n a7x wer alot better than i thought they would be.. and metallica were brilliant!!!!!!!

did any one buy the booklet thing.. the programme or what ever you call it..
    well if you did look behind the cover with the places n dates of the concerts:p they have it down as faryhouse racecourse rather than marley park:p:D

It was originally fairyhouse but it got upgraded to marlay park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

"Upgraded"?

"Our audience has become more selective"? ;)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭emtroche

they have it down as faryhouse racecourse rather than marley park:p:D

Yeah saw that on metallica website a while ago too. My thinking was that maybe they were initially gonna have a sonisphere there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Not an eye-roll!

My humour is defenceless against those.

Geez, lighten up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

scudzilla wrote: »
    What a great gig last night.
    First of all i gotta say Fair Fcuks to MCD, they've had a lot of slaggin off recently but yesterdays organisation was pretty good, from sign posts to the gig, car parking, the queues etc, Nice one.

yeah the organization in marlay is a million times better than punchestown, i cannot understand why they can't use the same system in punchestown for dublin bus leaving, they filled up 7 buses at a time last night quickly and all the other buses were on the ground waiting to move into place once the full buses moved out (no waiting 10 minutes for one bus to come down the road here :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I was there at 10 am in the morning. AFter that ass saying 'move back' for ages (when we clearly shouldnt have) and eventually getting a pass about 1.30pm, got to the stage for Glyder. Go on glyder! Imprssed, they were decent enough :D

Im starting to be convinced though that all sound engineers are mentally disabled though... whats so hard about it? I mean if something sounds low turn it up. Mastodon were savage, and the pit for them was beyond amazing. But the vocals and lead were too low. Drummer was amazing though.

Didnt bother with Alice in Chains. Got drunk instead...

A7x? They were SAVAGE. Way better than i expected. Come on lads, the set was deadly, they played their skin off, NO MAKE UP, Walk... I also made him put on the irish jersey ( i shouted Put It On and he heard me. And yes, it was actually me...) and I caught 2 of their plecs. Dont care. They were deadly. Once again, main pit was amazing.

Wall of Death and Circle of death. And some amount of sound heads in it too from all over. Loads of nordies at it!

Metallca... well what can i say. Amazing. Great set...

BUT

Did anyone else notice (and i was only about 20 feet away from the stage) that HAMMET FORGOT THE ONE SOLO!?!? He totally forgot to play it and they messed it up!

Apart from that, decent set. Would have flogged one or two for others, but Fight Fire with Fire and other songs, as well as the order, were great...

Top quality. Loved every second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Africa wrote: »
    A7x? They were SAVAGE. Way better than i expected. Come on lads, the set was deadly, they played their skin off, NO MAKE UP, Walk... I also made him put on the irish jersey ( i shouted Put It On and he heard me. And yes, it was actually me...) and I caught 2 of their plecs. Dont care. They were deadly. Once again, main pit was amazing.

I had never heard of them before they were announced. I thought they were awful, yer man singing was more interested in appealing to women. And as for that plant "Russell" who they asked up at random to sing Pantera's "Walk", gimme a break.
    wrote:
    Did anyone else notice (and i was only about 20 feet away from the stage) that HAMMET FORGOT THE ONE SOLO!?!? He totally forgot to play it and they messed it up!

Was that during "one"? It looked to me that the sound had gone for the start of the solo.

Yeah, clearly a plant. But a decent one, he did do a good job anyway. The amount of abuse i heard them getting on the way in, i had heard of em before but wasnt sure what to expect. But they were real good.

Yep. He forgot to play it. I was really close and could see his hands and was playing the main riff still. James and Lars both looked at him! Was quite funny to see that even the best of the best can mess up still!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

faceman wrote: »
    I had never heard of them before they were announced. I thought they were awful, yer man singing was more interested in appealing to women. And as for that plant "Russell" who they asked up at random to sing Pantera's "Walk", gimme a break.
    Yeah, clearly a plant. But a decent one, he did do a good job anyway. The amount of abuse i heard them getting on the way in, i had heard of em before but wasnt sure what to expect. But they were real good.

He wasn't a plant, he went back into the pit after his performance he was standing right beside 2 of the lads I was with and they talked to him.

He's in a metal band and knew the song.

Good work and fair play to him then. He did do a great job.

Didnt see Alice in Chains. Were they good in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Didnt see Alice in Chains. Were they good in the end?

I was standing in a sh1te place for them. Sound was awful up close to the stage and near the pit entrance on the right. Great view but awful sound. Moved back a bit halfway through Avenged Sevenfold and it was much better further back

AIC are a lot more mellow than the other acts but they were enjoyable yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Vegeta wrote: »
    He wasn't a plant, he went back into the pit after his performance he was standing right beside 2 of the lads I was with and they talked to him.

He's in a metal band and knew the song.

That doesn't make him not a plant, just makes him very dedicated to the act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

OF COURSE THE KID WAS NOT A PLANT.. people started chanting the song and it was only then they had the idea to sing it.. they had some girl all ready to go up and sing but she wussed out so they got that kid russell instead and finally they left a song off the set to make time for playing walk.. i heard the singer guy tell the drummer to skip a song.. it's pretty simple to figure it wasnt a plant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

A friend of mine borrowed my camera to take to the concert and took a bunch of videos. Amazing quality, right up at the front, too.

Here's Seek & Destroy

And their farewell at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mike Barry

faceman wrote: »

Was that during "one"? It looked to me that the sound had gone for the start of the solo.
    No plant. We met him and his friends after the concert looking for a taxi. They looked lost!! He did a great job though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just listening to the recording of One... definitely no start of solo, and then Hammett was a half bar off from the rhythm section ... you'd only notice if you knew the tune well. All part of the live experience! Very impressed that they didn't redub anything for the official gig mp3 that just was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭skaterboy

Wish I Saw That Concert =(

They'll be back. Check out my pics from the concert and the other videos - follow the link :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA0A51I1eBw

Enjoy!!

Advertisement