Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD first year summer project...

Options
  • 04-07-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

does anyone know what the first year(CORE) summer project is about? and when they might be posting the details of it?

and also.. why do they always write it 'CORE'... does it stand for something or are they just fond of emphasising it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 qwertyu

i'm due to start this october too, don't know when they'll post it.. cos i was thinking that the cao offers wont be out til the end of august so thats technically when they can be sure who is def going to be starting in october and then can post projects out... if they send them out beginning of sept, i'm thinking that's not a lot of time to get ideas/worksheets together?? hopefully someone will have some info...it's possible that they mightened give one this yr maybe?

just searched it on ncad.ie....it says details will be coming soon.

http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/core/summer.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 serenescene

qwertyu wrote: »
    i'm due to start this october too, don't know when they'll post it..

starting core this october? or is the project for people who have finished core and are going into second year? because im also starting core this oct and this is the first ive heard of a summer project:S
    reply would be very much appreciated, thanks a mil!!

hi yeah its for people starting in october its basically just to get our minds thinking i think...my friend got it last year in September...are you coming from school or otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 serenescene

yea i'm one of the littlies, just finished 6th yr in st andrews booterstown, ive been tryna find other people just out of school who got in too! how about yourself??:)

• Advertisement

nope i'm 20 done fine art in dit from school didnt like it after a yr so went to colaiste dhulaigh last sept to do portfolio prep and got ncad so im glad i dropped outta dit now lol... i can't wait to start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sarahpie

i miss core already :(:(:( going into 2nd year ! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    ick summer project freaked me out ...but it really only to get your mind going, just a starting point or what ever

aw wow cant wait to see fresh meat :)

oh cool did you love it?? what exactly was in the summer project last year for you?what you doing for 2nd year?

yeah ! best year of my life ...although a lot of work ..went by so quickly too :(

i chose and got sculpture but still kinda thinking media :/ ...too indecisive

last year part of it was finding certain objects to bring in ...that part was important cause did about 2 weeks on those objects so make sure they're actually interesting !

other part was dif group of objects and had to like do dif things with em ..
    like - hide one object inside the other make images etc ..this part wasnt as important as finding the objects ..well with my tutor anyway .....i cant remember the rest !

Thanks! yeah i'd say it flies by!hope 2nd year goes well for you anyway!

• Advertisement

thanky :D

see you in october hopefully !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 matthewlynch1

im only going in in october 2 :) but it says that we have to bring all of those items in on the day .. thats alot of items ! am i reading it wrong ???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

yeah you bring em all on the first day unfortunately...its gona be a heavy load to carry in but everyone brings in suitcases apparently...haha :P

Yeah bring everything in on the first day...prob wont be that strict if there's a couple of things missing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 leeolee

hey! im starting too :) *waves*...
    ...so we actually have to bring in ALL of it?!?..:/ EEEEK!
    haha you'll be able to spot the first years no problem...killing themselves with suitcases....(pls tell me your joking about the suitcase thing! haha! )

anybody get those visual culture books?!??! :O...
    ridiculusssss! gah! my eyes have gotten so lazy after the summer of chillin out after the LC! ..haha continuously glazing over and drifing back to my computer....teehee..:P

im dying to find out whats planned for freshers week...paint bombs anybody? ;)
    xxx

yeah theyre ridiculous...i tried to read them, honestly i did...but i couldnt

i hope i quick glance over will suffice !

oh yes! cant wait for the freshers ball too! just wana be in college now!!:pac:

FRESHERS BALL?!?! :P i completly forgot about that! :P YEAIII!:P

...Hmmm..how do i convince my 'rents that nobody else has actually read those books therefore get them to STOP BADGERING me.. :P xxxxx

haha my mums like this too grr... i just told her that ppl from boards say no one reads them and thats the truth...i just flicked thru it anyway

Papillon! wrote: »
    haha my mums like this too grr... i just told her that ppl from boards say no one reads them and thats the truth...i just flicked thru it anyway

haha im WELL tellin my parents that tonight..lol! :) seriously tho, i was havin heart palpatations when my dad came home withf m..it was ikin complete utter disbelief..'ah your jokin dad, stop foolin round and give me the proper books'....

little did i know...he WASNT JOKING.....:(

the ridiculus thing is..its not even like you can bring the to bed with you to have a flick through..crush your face much?!?! hahah! :)xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

zomg if thats true then thats great!!!! my mum keeps bugging me about it...and i tell her..they cant obviously expect us to do a project and read 2 text books in less than a month!!!><
    sooo..we dont HAVE to read them roite??

also im waving to all the newbies as i will be a newbie to NCAD too!!! *waves*...i dont know anyone going there...TT__TT

• Advertisement

zomg if thats true then thats great!!!! my mum keeps bugging me about it...and i tell her..they cant obviously expect us to do a project and read 2 text books in less than a month!!!><
    sooo..we dont HAVE to read them roite??

also im waving to all the newbies as i will be a newbie to NCAD too!!! *waves*...i dont know anyone going there...TT__TT

i know how ya feel...i know nobodyyy! :( but i met the nicest girlie from roscommon today on this forum..;) Hahaha we'll set up a lil boards.ie group and stick together...X)

wanna join our burn our visual culture books ritual? :P
    theyre uber scary..;/ :(

leeolee wrote: »
    i know how ya feel...i know nobodyyy! :( but i met the nicest girlie from roscommon today on this forum..;) Hahaha we'll set up a lil boards.ie group and stick together...X)

wanna join our burn our visual culture books ritual? :P
    theyre uber scary..;/ :(

yar i found this forum place and was like HALLELUJAH!!!! cos i was soo confused with the books and project list etc etc....><
    ahhh was that erm..papillon or something??^^ she told me to look for her in facebook...but there billions of her...she is a clone too...@___@
    uwaaaah yesh yesh lets!!^^ add me on facebook??^^ im under emi suarez......im the one with the pikachu mask for a face!!XDD

ahhahahahh id love to join your burn grouP!!!! ill have to burn one book though cos i got the other from the library...long live the library!!!!XDDD
    actually ive yet to get the other one..BUT WHEN I DO WELL BURN THEM!!!! lol!!.have you started reading them anyhoo?? i tried..TT__TT i really hope that nobody else reads em...cos im not planning on finishing em..><

sorry for the long reply....i tend to write long messages....heh heh...XDD

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey guys, been out of NCAD a year. You're going to have a blast. I really miss it myself :(

Anyway, was just wondering what the visual culture books you keep mentioning are? I did core year about 6 years ago now but there was nothing at all like that.

Also, any chance I can see a list of the stuff you have to bring in? (A hammer?!)

Just being nosy is all.... ;)

Anyway, good luck to ye.

yar i found this forum place and was like HALLELUJAH!!!! cos i was soo confused with the books and project list etc etc....><
    ahhh was that erm..papillon or something??^^ she told me to look for her in facebook...but there billions of her...she is a clone too...@___@
    uwaaaah yesh yesh lets!!^^ add me on facebook??^^ im under emi suarez......im the one with the pikachu mask for a face!!XDD

ahhahahahh id love to join your burn grouP!!!! ill have to burn one book though cos i got the other from the library...long live the library!!!!XDDD
    actually ive yet to get the other one..BUT WHEN I DO WELL BURN THEM!!!! lol!!.have you started anyhoo?? i tried..TT__TT i really hope that nobody else reads em...cos im not planning on finishing em..><

sorry for the long reply....i tend to write long messages....heh heh...XDD

awh yeai im delirah , newbies like me actually do exsist! ahahha :) papillon girl is pouting in her facebook pic shes lovely! :) im leeolee..ill add you!!!!! :D
    muahah long live the library!!!!

leeolee wrote: »
    awh yeai im delirah , newbies like me actually do exsist! ahahha :) papillon girl is pouting in her facebook pic shes lovely! :) im leeolee..ill add you!!!!! :D
    muahah long live the library!!!!

ooher i added her and accepted you!!! yay!!! thank gawd for the internet!!!!!X3

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hey guys, been out of NCAD a year. You're going to have a blast. I really miss it myself :(

Anyway, was just wondering what the visual culture books you keep mentioning are? I did core year about 6 years ago now but there was nothing at all like that.

Also, any chance I can see a list of the stuff you have to bring in? (A hammer?!)

Just being nosy is all.... ;)

Anyway, good luck to ye.

one is a world history of art and the other is on modern art ...somethign like that. the first nearly 1000 pages the latter like 600 or something...its terrifying!

so excited for ncad and good to hear you liked it :) that makes the thought of starting college somewhat less daunting !

yeah theres a list of stuff we'll need like paints etc,not too sure what the hammers for.....EEEK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

not too sure what the hammers for.....EEEK!!

Best case scenario, hammering your summer project to the wall.

Worst case scenario, using it as an instrument to make some conceptual sound piece. :D

Some bits of advice -

On your first day you'll be asked to hang your summer project on the wall for people to look at.
    This really freaks everyone out.
    Take joy from the fact that everyone is so concerned about their own work being terrible, they're probably not even registering what yours is.

And when you do your block release (You go to the departments in the college to see what they're like for a week each..this happens before Christmas), chose things that use their own specific studio like print etc.

I can remember doing the paint one and although it's what I wanted to do as a specialization, it was the one block that took place in the core studios!

Saying all that, it's been quite a long time since I did core year. So maybe it's changed.

Whatever happens though, just take it easy and don't get too freaked out about anything. It's not worth it in the end. If you receive negative criticism, don't let it bother you. Not everyones tastes are alike.

Best case scenario, hammering your summer project to the wall.

Worst case scenario, using it as an instrument to make some conceptual sound piece. :D

Some bits of advice -

On your first day you'll be asked to hang your summer project on the wall for people to look at.
    This really freaks everyone out.
    Take joy from the fact that everyone is so concerned about their own work being terrible, they're probably not even registering what yours is.

And when you do your block release (You go to the departments in the college to see what they're like for a week each..this happens before Christmas), chose things that use their own specific studio like print etc.

I can remember doing the paint one and although it's what I wanted to do as a specialization, it was the one block that took place in the core studios!

Saying all that, it's been quite a long time since I did core year. So maybe it's changed.

Whatever happens though, just take it easy and don't get too freaked out about anything. It's not worth it in the end. If you receive negative criticism, don't let it bother you. Not everyones tastes are alike.

WHAAT?!?! HANG OUR PROJECT UP?!?!??!? WHATTTTT?!?!
    :O :( :O:O:O

see the thing is that our summer project isnt really a project...we've to collect certain items and do some tasks but none of these involve any drawing, painting etc... its really confusing and im crap at explaining SOOO if anyone who doesnt think theyre coming down with swine flu feels like posting the project here, feel free....!:(

• Advertisement

see the thing is that our summer project isnt really a project...we've to collect certain items and do some tasks but none of these involve any drawing, painting etc... its really confusing and im crap at explaining SOOO if anyone who doesnt think theyre coming down with swine flu feels like posting the project here, feel free....!:(

ookay project in short is collecting random stuff....
    like:
    4 things that have roots,
    5 things that make a sound,
    6 things that can be a home/habitat,
    4 recordings of motion,
    5 things that represent a diff culture,
    5 things of personal value,
    4 images from the internet,
    upload 3 things to the internet,
    1 set of fragments,
    a box.....

yar its something like that!!!!^^
    ohh do not fret...swine flu apperently isnt that bad..its just a regular flu but a tad bit stronger medication prescribed......XDDDD

Advertisement