Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nespresso coffee - how much?

• 24-07-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me how much you'd pay in Ireland for those Nespresso coffee capsules please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

works out at about 70c a capsule afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

plus your immortal soul and hope of everlasting salvation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Tupins wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me how much you'd pay in Ireland for those Nespresso coffee capsules please?

Personally, I wouldn't pay anything. Fresh beans is where it's at. They can be found in Brown Thomas or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

works out at about 70c a capsule afaik

what's your source? are you a nespresso user?

Capsules are at 0.36, capsules of some special editions are at 0.41 (which is the maximum you can pay for a capsule).

These are the *real* prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

for those who like their own blends and a fresh grind, but who also like the convenience of a nespresso machine, these are now available: http://www.nexpod.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

what's your source? are you a nespresso user?

Capsules are at 0.36, capsules of some special editions are at 0.41 (which is the maximum you can pay for a capsule).

These are the *real* prices.

+1
    My sister has one of these and she confirmed the price at about 35-40c a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

SeaSide wrote: »
    plus your immortal soul and hope of everlasting salvation

blah blah blah, very predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I have one of these in my office. It's great, and actually I don't see anything wrong from the coffee. I don't really care that its nestle behind it all. It doesnt make a mess (This happens when you've other people using it)

It's simple and you dont worry about some clown clogging or breaking it.

As for the custom coffee capsules, you can also just do this with your nespresso capsules.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Got given one for a birthday present.
    Evil. Wrong.

....but when you're bleary-eyed in the morning....kindof convienent....
    Nooo! corruption!

Well, never mind, I have my burr grinder and french press for sunday mornings when I've time...

preilly79 wrote: »
    for those who like their own blends and a fresh grind, but who also like the convenience of a nespresso machine, these are now available: http://www.nexpod.com/
    Woot! Excellent. Ordered a box of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Including delivery this works out about 26c per nexpod capsule, then you have to fill it with coffee which you need to buy seperately and as this is messy & time consuming it totally erases the reason why someone buys a nespresso machine in the first place.

Maybe of they brought the price to 12c / empty pod, it would be worth it.

36c / 38c & 41c per pod from nespresso, expensive, but worth it.

Dude, if it was about saving money, I'd drink tap water.
    I wouldn't have gotten the machine myself, but my folks though it was a good birthday present and in the morning when I'm bleary-eyed, it is. I'll just put better coffee in the pods is all.

Besides, I dislike shopping in Brown Thomas. I keep wanting to grab someone, slap them about the face and yell "YOU DO NOT PAY A THOUSAND EUROS FOR A COAT THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS MADE BY A BLIND TAILOR'S APPRENTICE YOU IDIOT!". I'm getting worried that one day my self-control will slip and next thing you know, I'll make the evening news...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

Ordered one pack as well. Will be interested to see the experience. One of the main criticisms of the purist coffee drinkers had agaisnt nespresso was the restriction it placed on experimentation of different coffee blends. Probably the most valid criticism also. At least there is a workaround in place.

I dont expect it to satisfy the purists out there, but it will satisfy some more casual enjoyers of coffee. On the expense side of things, the initial outlay on a nespresso is a good deal less than the purists version of a proper coffee grinder combo.

So the nexpods arrived today.
    Filled one up half-way, stuck in the filter, put it in the machine, closed the lever. Noticed the lever wasn't closing as easilty as normal. Hmmm.
    Hit the button. Cue regular noises... and then louder noises... and then mild panic at the thought of burst pressure vessels... and then hitting the button and opening the lever to take a peek.
    The nexpod was crushed flat. Mangled. Normally the pods are relatively intact after making coffee. Hmmm. Maybe I underfilled it. Try again.
    Fill nexpod to top, tamp down, add a bit more, tamp again, add filter and close lid. Try to put into machine so that when I close the lever, the little internal piston-tube-thing goes around the pod instead of crushing it with the side of the tube. This proves fiddly and I have to pull the tray that catches the used pods and support the nexpod from underneath. But it works, the lever closes without crushing the pod, I replace the tray and hit the button. Normal noises. Then slightly louder normal noises. Then yay! Coffee! (And it's not too bad either actually - it's not custom ground, this is just a brick of preground espresso to test the nexpod - but it's making it the same way as normal).
    Cool. Open lever to dump pod... nothing. Hm. Lever opens, but no pod in tray. Hmmmm. Look inside, nexpod is stuck inside piston-tube-thingy. Reach in, try to extract with fingernail, curse, pull pocketknife, reach in, extract with blade.

So yeah, they do work, but unless I'm doing something awfully wrong, they're not as good as the nescafe pods. I think it's down to the sidewall construction - they're definitely more flimsy than the nescafe pod's sidewall, and I think they flex too much when you close the lever, so stuff doesn't align well as a result.

Oh well.

Better writeup and more photos:
    Shameless plug for blog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

Thats a shame. Thanks for the report. Should have done more research first. Stung once I suppose....Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭john_graydon

Got one of these machines last sep, the one with the milk frother. Well have to say its fab. Capsules a little expensive but worth it in the end. I found the organic milk in Aldi gets a better froth than the other brands of milk.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

You can also try http://www.ne-cap.com/index.php

they sell 100 for 9.95 (including delivery) so works out at 10 cents a cup

ne-caps looks more to original with tin-foil on top rather than plastic of nexpod's

I've ordered the 'coffeeduck' myself, its refillable :)

http://www.coffeesupplies.eu/coffeeduck-nespresso-cups.html about 13 delivered

will post back on results of coffeeduck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

bestie wrote: »
    You can also try http://www.ne-cap.com/index.php

they sell 100 for 9.95 (including delivery) so works out at 10 cents a cup

ne-caps looks more to original with tin-foil on top rather than plastic of nexpod's

I've ordered the 'coffeeduck' myself, its refillable :)

http://www.coffeesupplies.eu/coffeeduck-nespresso-cups.html about 13 delivered

will post back on results of coffeeduck :)

Like the look of the ne caps. Would putting the tinfoil part be hard I wonder?

I bought nexpods. They do work they're fiddly to get right. The reason its harder to pull down the lever is your pushin through plastic. They say this doesnt wreck the machine. Hard to believe imo.

If your nexpod gets stuck after brewin a coffee. Pull the lever up and press the nespresso button. The force of the water will push the empty capsule out.

Again the nexpods arent ideal imo but if you want to have some of your own nicely ground coffee as an alternative the ritual with a normal espresso machine that you'd have to go through I think this is the best option out there.

Was in a hotel recently abroad who had nespresso machines in every room. Was great gettin up in the morning to a decent coffee. Notice I said decent not excellent.

Last note on this is I have found nespresso's own coffees to be a lot better than some of the muck being served these days in "proper" coffee shops around Dublin and I'm sure elsewhere.

Its a consistant coffee every time, not burnt, etc...

Anyway que the wise crack comments from people here who havent even tried a coffee from a nespresso machine. :rolleyes:

ps I love coffee, freshly roasted, ground with a proper burr grinder and straight to cup. Unfortunately for most normal people that isnt always easy. Nespresso is the ideal in between devince. It may not be great but its definately a decent alternative.

coffeenuts wrote: »
    ps I love coffee, freshly roasted, ground with a proper burr grinder and straight to cup. Unfortunately for most normal people that isnt always easy. Nespresso is the ideal in between devince. It may not be great but its definately a decent alternative.

Yeah, for the 0700, blurry, sleepy-eyed, still-in-your-PJs-and-walking-like-a-zombie coffee, they're pretty decent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement