Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iPlayer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

pauly3 wrote: »
    Has anyone out there (other than me) been able to enjoy the BBC HD iPlayer service without going through a proxy? The UTV gateway I connect through is 194.46.x.x and the DNS server is also 194.46.x.x . My fixed IP address is also within this range. A search throutgh RIPE shows that the entire 194.46.x.x address range is a registered to the GB country level domain

I found a list of free Proxy Servers by country here:
    http://nntime.com/proxy-country/

2 proxies listed for Ireland and 35 for the UK.

Hope this helps some.

Many thanks Pauly - this worked perfect for me by using the ip addresses (that seem to be updated regularly) and following these easy instructions http://how-2-do.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-change-proxy-in-firefox.html - thanks again (I'm a Smart Customer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

You're welcome PFL.

Now get this ..... this evening I could not access the iPlayer content for the first time since it launched. Got the standard out-of-area message. I guess the UTV admins are reading our posts, in fact I know they are (they told me so in a previous discussion). So they closed the loophole!!

Here's what I did to remedy this :) I downloaded Firefox Portable from portableapps.com, extracted it and set the homepage to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer. I added a good proxy from here: http://nntime.com/proxy-country . Now I only use Firefox Portable for viewing Geolocked content such as the iPlayer or 4oD. The rest of the time I use my installed Firefox as usual. Using the portable version of Firefox means you don't have to change the proxy info back and forth, unless your working proxy gets blocked. Of course, once you find a good proxy it should work for any ISP, not just UTV.

My iPlayer is working again .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can have many portable Firefoxes in your Program Files folder, one for each country where you want to proxy into. You could name them, for example, Firefox USA, Firefox Australia, Firefox UK, etc.
    Find working proxies for each country and then launch the corresponding Portable Firefox for that country (and setting each homepage to whatever channel you normally watch there and changing the network settings to the proxy you've chosen).

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

Pauly3 thanks for the info and it works with Fixefox and my UTVINTERNET broadband connection. However if I try to download the programme to my laptop it says "This programme is only available to users in the UK to download"

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Cheers for the pointers Pauly3. Using this link's tutorial - http://www.showmethetelly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2 - alongside FoxyProxy does away with the need to manually switch proxies as well for Mac users like me who can't go for a PortableApp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

ongarite wrote: »
    I view BBC iPlayer all the time using FoxyProxy also but not using TOR as in the link earlier in the thread.
    I used this guide here and these proxy server lists:
    http://www.showmethetelly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2
    http://www.samair.ru/proxy/type-19.htm

this worked great for me initially but now none of those proxies seem to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

dubmick wrote: »
    this worked great for me initially but now none of those proxies seem to work :(

Yeah im the same. Used FoxyProxy and tried a few of the lists here, exhausting almost all the IPs but no joy. The first one worked for about 1 min and then cut me off, with no joy since then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Try this guys.

I use this all the time works a treat.

With BBc I Player, Itv Player, and all the USA players.

It costs $35 USA for 1 year or $50 for 2.

You get a free trial.

http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/

I should note only works with Firefox or Explorer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

FreedomJoe wrote: »

More importantly its only Windows Only so no Mac or Linux users which is pretty poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sweeney1987

i cant get this to work at all:(
    spent the last ages trying a load of different ips and none seem to work
    is there none available for free?
    also in the box you enter ips do you need the http:// or not?
    been trying both and none working still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads ,

Is the use of proxies and connecting to UK servers to view BBC Iplayer illegal or what is the story with regard to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

I tried this on monday gone using FoxyProxy. I was looking for a UK proxy for ages...finally on Tuesday evening i found one thats still working now! Most of them usually stop afer a few hrs....The iplayer is working grand now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Is there a work around for non-UTV Irish customers that doesn't involve having to pay for a proxy or SSH/VPN tunnel in the UK?

Open proxy servers come and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Sent the following to NTL two weeks ago, no reply, not suprised really but it seems like something people would be willing to pay for so can't see why no ISP would open negotiations to try get it.
    Would it be possible for you to enter talks with the BBC regarding adding an small extra to a tv+net subscription that would allow access to BBC iplayer. According to the BBC annual report 2007-2008 of a colour TV licence costing 11.63 a month 61 pence is used to pay for online content and 8 pound put towards TV each month. Surely a small charge that would be passed on to the BBC for such access could be negotiated the same way you pay royalties for BBC TV broadcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭long_b

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    Try this guys.

I use this all the time works a treat.

With BBc I Player, Itv Player, and all the USA players.

It costs $35 USA for 1 year or $50 for 2.

You get a free trial.

http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/

Tried this just now - the trial version gets you past the Hulu main page and lets you select a show, but then Hulu gives an error saying something like "Cannot stream show - check your internet connection settings".

Had my anti virus off btw.

Did I miss something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I've just installed this Hide IP and am on the trial version - I'm using Pandora radio no problem. I used to use this years ago before IP blocking and I really missed it - not that interested in the TV/IP Player bit, but would be interested on occasion.
    It seems the trial version runs out in 3 hours or when you close the browser - I would like to pay for the full version, but wonder will it work for the long term and if there are any other caveats or concerns I'd need to know about? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I've just installed this Hide IP and am on the trial version - I'm using Pandora radio no problem. I used to use this years ago before IP blocking and I really missed it - not that interested in the TV/IP Player bit, but would be interested on occasion.
    It seems the trial version runs out in 3 hours or when you close the browser - I would like to pay for the full version, but wonder will it work for the long term and if there are any other caveats or concerns I'd need to know about? Anyone know?

I became so tired of all this proxy stuff and have now signed up for an online VPN. It's €9.90 a month but I can now finally watch 4oD.

Are there any free UK VPN services out there?

By the way, why is everyone using Foxy Proxy when you can just change the IP in the Firefox settings .. the same with IE too.

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

Nico22 wrote: »
    I became so tired of all this proxy stuff and have now signed up for an online VPN. It's €9.90 a month but I can now finally watch 4oD.

Are there any fre VPNs out there?

By the way, why is everyone using Foxy Proxy when you can just change the IP in the Firefox settings .. the same with IE too.

Nic

I'm using gotrusted (http://www.gotrusted.com) for the past few months. Its $5.99 per month and I use it for Hulu,BBC,Pandora and even as a VPN my iphone and htc magic. I find it very good and very helpful support. There's a free trial for a week if you want to try it out.

I.m using gotrusted (http://www.gotrusted.com) for the past few months. Its $5.99 per month and I use it for Hulu,BBC,Pandora and even as a VPN my iphone and htc magic. I find it very good and very helpful support. There's a free trail for a week if you want to try it out.

How do you watch BBC with GoTrusted? I thought all there IPs were USA based ones?

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Discussion on how to circumvent IP blockers is not allowed. Posts removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I've downloaded Foxyproxy but the difficulty is finding a UK proxy server that actually works. I'm using one on a three day trial but after that I'd be reluctant to pay for a commercial proxy server.

Does anyone know of a website for reliable and updated UK proxy servers?

If not there's identitycloaker.com for €79.99 a year. Has anyone used this and is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Guys I can view stuff on-line (trough foxy-proxy) but if I try download the program I want to the pc it says it's for UK download only. So I'm half way there. Any idea how I can also download the program as well as view it?

It's a one off documentary from last night I want to show someone. Will to buy t from BBC but they don't seem to be selling it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Which documentary are you looking for? Maybe I can help.
    cargo wrote: »
    Guys I can view stuff on-line (trough foxy-proxy) but if I try download the program I want to the pc it says it's for UK download only. So I'm half way there. Any idea how I can also download the program as well as view it?

It's a one off documentary from last night I want to show someone. Will to buy t from BBC but they don't seem to be selling it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

clacks wrote: »
    Which documentary are you looking for? Maybe I can help.

It was the "Jimmys Global Harvest" the other night which was focusing on Brazil and bioethanol production etc...

cargo wrote: »
    It was the "Jimmys Global Harvest" the other night which was focusing on Brazil and bioethanol production etc...

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Would love to use the BBC iplayer channel on the wii to watch some top gear :mad: Is the bbc breaking the law by not complying to the television without Frontiers directive?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Works here now on my Mac, had to use a testing version of Vidalia/Tor to work around the recently broken SSL thanks to Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

hey guys,

i have just skimmed / read the whole thread ( at least 80% ot it ;) ) and all this proxy talk and vpn stuff is like double dutch to me..

I would love to have access to iplayer and hulu, can someone tell me of a free / moderately cheap and easy way to get this?

spare a thought for the technically challenged among us:p

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I've heard some people have success with HotSpot Shield "http://download.cnet.com/hotspot-shield/". I have not got it working myself, possibly because I have a different VPN installed on my laptop for work causing a conflict.

The laymans theory with Hotspot shield is that it reports to the Hulu, or BBC iPlayer that the computer connecting is not from the country you are, but from their allowed countries.

One problem that I have with something like Hotspot shield is that if it is left running all the time (which most Non-Technical people might do after installing it) all of your Web Browsing goes through their software. Depending on how honest, above board, trustworthy (or not) the company behind such software are, there's no telling what they could do with that information.

Think about it - if you've used your online banking, e-mail, or other password protected resource while connecting through their 'proxy' software. You have effectively allowed them to look over your shoulder while entring your Password. OK, it might be encrypted, but you've given them a big head start.

Or, they can build up a browsing history of the sites you visited and you can get spammed by loads of advertisers based on your browsing history.

Now, to be clear, I am not saying that Hotspot shield specifically does this. I don't know either way. But it is something to be wary of when using proxies run by unknown entities on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭boardtc

hey guys,

i have just skimmed / read the whole thread ( at least 80% ot it ;) ) and all this proxy talk and vpn stuff is like double dutch to me..

I would love to have access to iplayer and hulu, can someone tell me of a free / moderately cheap and easy way to get this?

spare a thought for the technically challenged among us:p

Cheers

I did the same and gave gotrusted.com a go as one punter advised, I paid one euro for the free month but then found out the proxy was in the usa and the country could not be changed. I signed up to adtelly.tv for 6 euro for a month, east to use, really nice interface which wraps wraps viewing the bbc player, etc nicely and also has a connect uk and usa button to act change countries.

Advertisement