Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun and fitness

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Running is one thing i always enjoied but due to work and other things i just have not been running much lately to the stage where i want running and could not even run a km without stopping.

So i decided to make a pledge to myself to go be able to run 5km by xmas.

I figured that if i put it on line i'd have to answer for it rather then one of these pledge that you make and go no where.

Any help and advice will be gladly accepted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Welcome it is always the start when you are trying to build the fitness that one of the hardest especially in terms of motivation all i can say is get out and hit the roads and tackle that as your first obstacle.
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with the training - we all started somewhere.
    There are a couple of 5ks in December that i know of (depending on your location), BHAA have one in Marley on the 6th and the Streets of Wicklow on St. Stephens's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

will prob look at the santa run in the park in December. trust me to start being the new and fitter person on a day when its raining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck scheister. i'd say you'll be doing 5k well before Christmas ;) Adding your mileage in to the 1000 mile challenge can be a good motivator too as you tot up those miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Hi there, good luck with the running. I just started myself a few months ago :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Couch to 5k is your friend. I started running with that programme at about this time last year, and ran my first 5k in October 2008 (Rathfarnham WSAF 5k, in 30.24). If you put your mind to it you can probably run a 5k sooner than December ;)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

+++1 on all the above - we all start somewhere (me in feb with initial target of running the full lap of 1.5km around the lake close to where i was staying) and if you enjoyed running in the past, no reason you can't enjoy it now also....just get out there and build it up slowly, you'll be amazed by your progress - Good luck :)

not a good start so far have only made it out once work was nuts this week but plan to make it out for a run wednesday thursday and friday.

tut tut tut fell of the horse a few times seem to run once maybe twice and not again. So trying the podcasts now from couch to 5k and hopefully this time

Advertisement