Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metalica - August 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Thin Lizzy has pulled out. So at least for the time being the billing is:

Mastodon
    Alice in Chains
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Metallica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭skaterboy

Thin Lizzy has pulled out. So at least for the time being the billing is:

Mastodon
    Alice in Chains
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Metallica
    THIN LIZZY PULLED OUT!
    AWHH SHIIT=[
    AH WELL @ LEAST ALICE IN CHAINS ARE PLAYING=]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

yeah Sykes left the band.......

they really need to announce a couple of replacements - that's 3 bands off the original bill - and now it's starting to look like a normal Metallica gig here, with AX7 dragging the support down to the usual level - besides with Mastadon due in the US the following day I think they have to play that early......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm just glad I'm going to Sonisphere :D Mastodon are playing the UK on the Sunday, not the US, just like the rest of the line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Irish band Glyder have been added to the bill,

Delighted for them, about time they got a good break over here,

www.myspace.com/glyder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

feylya wrote: »
    I'm just glad I'm going to Sonisphere :D Mastodon are playing the UK on the Sunday, not the US, just like the rest of the line up.
    Me Too. You camping all 4 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

How early do you think you would need to be to get to the front pit? I assume they give out the front pit wristbands on a 1st come 1st served basis?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

:( are the Blizzards not filling in for Thin Lizzy again?? :p

Pit bands are first come first served!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Me Too. You camping all 4 days?

Na, just Friday til Sunday. Especially since there's no bands on on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

How early do you think you would need to be to get to the front pit? I assume they give out the front pit wristbands on a 1st come 1st served basis?

my parents house is around the corner so i was planning to stay with them the night before and then just get there for about 8 or 9am and just chance my luck.

The RDS had people there from 7am one year (the year GNR played on the Fri), I remember getting up at 5am just to get a taxi across the city...the driver taught I was mad....and there were already a handful of people there before me, in fact, one guy claims he walked straight from Fibbers after closing the night before and slept on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

get there for about 8 or 9am and just chance my luck

I usually find I can see and hear them just fine towards the back too. Also easy to get to the bar, toilets and completely stress free. But queue away and stay rooted to the same spot in fear of moving all day by all means!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I usually find I can see and hear them just fine towards the back too. Also easy to get to the bar, toilets and completely stress free. But queue away and stay rooted to the same spot in fear of moving all day by all means!! :rolleyes:

Its totally worth it. If you think its better to have your access, your clearly missing the point.

Anyway. Its a pity about the bands pulling out. Metallica should still be good though, i have looked into some of the stuff they are playing on their tour at the moment and I like the new album so it should be good. Mastodon are also promoting the balls out of their new album which IMO is the best album out this year. They will be great i am sure of that! Apart from that, A7X are also great, maybe they will play Walk again :P Their new album isnt as good as the older one, but I still like it. Never really into Alice In Chains. Can someone recommend an album or two to listen to before I head down?

Will be there early morning, just like every other Metallica gig :D number 6 for me!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

one guy claims he walked straight from Fibbers after closing the night before and slept on the street

That could be any randomer at any weekend coming out of Fibbers!! :p

Mr Moon wrote: »
    That could be any randomer at any weekend coming out of Fibbers!! :p

Well this guy was loaded on LSD and I remember I saw him walking through town a few weeks later. We'd had a good conversation (well as good a conversation as you can have sober with a drug addict) about metallica, his upbringing and where he had come from in life....anyway i saw him a few weeks later and this guy couldnt even remember going to metallica

He was a huge Aerosmith fan too, said he idolised Steven Tyler, which took me a bit off guard actually

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Does it matter what entrence ur at to get the wrist bands for the front pit? We will prob be at the one across from Centra. Not sure of the rd name as I'm from Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sammypsammy

Me and about 4 other friends are planning on heading to metallica in august. Only problem is that none of us have a way of getting home after the gig. Does anyone know of a place that we could stay or camp... Basically anything that's dry(ish) is grand! :) couldn't really care less what standard the room (if it ends up being a room!) is in so long as it's fairly cheap and near marlay park. If not does anyone know if there's gonna be any buses going anywhere after the gig... Most of us are from offaly/north tipp.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Gang of us booked into Bewley's Leopardstown. It's about 4km away

Gang of us booked into Bewley's Leopardstown. It's about 4km away

What about pricing...? From what I think I can remember Bewleys isn't cheap! how are you getting there, taxi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

€100 for a room for the night.

And sure we'll be back at the hotel bar having a pint by the time anything has moved out of the bus/car parks. I wouldn't call 4km a massive walk

I suppose... Except since none of us are legal age yet no pint for us :( I might see if there are any hostels nearby too since a hotel could end up being pretty expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shebafay

is there no local coach service running from offaly that runs buses to concerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

shebafay wrote: »
    is there no local coach service running from offaly that runs buses to concerts?

This might be a very good idea. You and your mates chip in together for a coach that'll bring you to/from the place. It may work out cheaper than staying.

Although finding it afterwards is going to be a pain in the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Good few B&B's in the Rathfarnham area. I'd look into that if I was you. If you cant find one in Rathfarnham try looking in Ballinteer or Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You could try camping in Marley Park. Its not legal by any means but you could give it a shot. Otherwise there's always the car park of the Ballinteer Shopping Centre, they prob wouldn't care

Ok, this is our most recent idea... We are gonna walk out to dundrum and get the luas to the center (if there are no buses running) then find a cheap hostel in the center. My friends brother works in a hostel near ha'penny bridge.

Hiring a coach would work out very expensive... Please realise that none of us have jobs and are all skint! :)

really looking forward to it...! Anyone have any ideas when it might be over since if it goes on past 12 we can't get the luas.

Any better...cheap...ideas would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: just seen the comment about camping. We really don't need to get in some trouble for camping where we're not sposed to...

Somewhere legal methinks just to be on the safe side!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

You might as well get the Dublin Bus service to and from Marlay Park. That way you know you'll get a lift back to the city centre afterwards:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Special-Events/Mettallica-at-Marlay-Park/

I know they haven't had a good reputation lately but the last time I went to a Marlay Park gig, their service ran smoothly

• Advertisement

really looking forward to it...! Anyone have any ideas when it might be over since if it goes on past 12 we can't get the luas.

legally, the gig normally has to end between 11pm and Midnight

The last few buses normally leave around 11.30 but you could walk to Dundrum within 30mins and get a LUAS (they usually run till 2am and only stop for about 3 hours max for night service) which will take you to the City Centre (Stephen's Green) - from there you've got a good 20min walk to the Bridge....just keep heading south down Grafton St, towards Trinity College and then Westmoreland St, when you get to O Connell St Bridge, turn left before you cross the bridge and keep going down Aston Quay...the bridge is about 5 mins walk from there you can't miss it

Advertisement