Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interested in sketching? join the Dublin City Sketchers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ledar wrote: »
    I took a look through your deviant art album. There's some very impressive stuff there. Is it mostly photoshop manipulation?

Stephen

Beg pardon...?! NONE of it is photoshop!!!

(Just the gallery is my work: "Favourties" is stuff I like, by other people!)

Thanks for the comments, though!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ledar

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Beg pardon...?! NONE of it is photoshop!!!
    Fine, fine, let me be more specific. I was asking about the starting point. In the case of Grafitti Girl for instance, you have your trusty Finepix credited with the image. So was it a photograph manipulation did the image originate either in RL sketching or photoshop. It's really well done, just curious.
    (Just the gallery is my work: "Favourties" is stuff I like, by other people!)
    Heh, I got that cheers.

Stephen

Fine, fine, let me be more specific. I was asking about the starting point. In the case of Grafitti Girl for instance, you have your trusty Finepix credited with the image. So was it a photograph manipulation did the image originate either in RL sketching or photoshop. It's really well done, just curious.
    Wait, you didn't use the camera at all did you? They're straight pastels and airbrush pictures?

So this bit:
    Picture
    Make: FUJIFILM
    Model: FinePix S6500fd
    Shutter Speed: 1/64 second
    F Number: F/6.4
    Focal Length: 49 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Date Picture Taken: Apr 13, 2008, 4:39:22 PM

is something of a misnomer?

Stephen

Wait, you didn't use the camera at all did you? They're straight pastels and airbrush pictures?

So this bit:
    Picture
    Make: FUJIFILM
    Model: FinePix S6500fd
    Shutter Speed: 1/64 second
    F Number: F/6.4
    Focal Length: 49 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Date Picture Taken: Apr 13, 2008, 4:39:22 PM

is something of a misnomer?

Stephen

Nope, that's the setting on the camera used to take a photo of the painting. The girl was from a photo taken in Stephen's Green last summer, the background's improvised. It's all pastel.

The backgrounds in the landscapes are airbrushed, the foregrounds are in pastel.

Re - the favourites: You'd be surprised - somone complimented my on my painting of a cockeral. Dispite the fact that I've never actually painted one...

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Nope, that's the setting on the camera used to take a photo of the painting. The girl was from a photo taken in Stephen's Green last summer, the background's improvised. It's all pastel.
    The background's great, Banksy has a lot to answer for ;)
    The backgrounds in the landscapes are airbrushed, the foregrounds are in pastel.
    I've always been impressed with airbrushing techniques when it goes right. I've yet to give it a go myself.
    Re - the favourites: You'd be surprised - somone complimented my on my painting of a cockeral. Dispite the fact that I've never actually painted one...
    >must stifle witty remark!< You sure they were talking about the painting? >ah<

It's all as clear as mud now. Do you always use a camera rather than a scanner to digitise your work?

Stephen

• Advertisement

See PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 andymad

Does anyone know if there is any similar sketching group in Galway (or within driving distance of)?

Thanks

andymad wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any similar sketching group in Galway (or within driving distance of)?

Thanks
    :D start one!

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

:D start one!

Stephen

seconded..it's so easy to set one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Dublinsketchers are heading to Chester Beatty this Sunday if anyone would like to come along - 1pm. Check out the blog for more details! Everyone welcome!

• Advertisement

heading to the horse fair in smithfield this sunday at 1pm if anyone wants to come along. Meeting at the luas stop.

Sketching this Sunday, 2pm @ City Hall (not open until 2pm!!!) at the top of Parliament Street, on Dame Street. (thanks to Jessica for suggestion!) Meet at entrance - have sketch pads out so that any newcomers can recognise the group! All welcome! Coffee afterwards :) I think there may be a charge of €4 but we'll see when we arrive and weather depending we can wander up to Dublin Castle etc.

See you there!

dublinsketchers.blogspot.com

Sketching Sunday 22nd @ Hugh Lane Gallery
    Meeting at the Hugh Lane Gallery this week. The Gallery has been visited by us before and there is lots to sketch in a comfortable environment.

Sunday Concert - Ensemble Avalon play: Liszt, Rachmaninov & Turina.

Those who wish to sketch during the concert - it starts at 12pm and lasts an hour usually, sketch inspired by the music.

Others who wish to arrive later and simply sketch in the Gallery can meet at the entrance at 1pm. We will all continue sketching till 3pm when we meet for coffee in the cafe. Should be a chilled and relaxed session.

Any newcomers are more than welcome to come along - have your sketch pads out so we'll recognise you!

This Sunday Dublin Sketchers will meet at 1pm at the Merrion Square entrance to the National Gallery. It has been some time since we visited the Gallery and is always an interesting place to visit. If the weather is fine and if people wish - Merrion Park is just opposite.

We will all then meet for coffee at 3pm in the cafe.There is also a lecture at 3pm if anyone wishes to attend -

The National Gallery is inviting to a lecture entitled "Baldassare Castiglione, by Titian (1485/90-1576)" by Dr Philip Cottrell, University College Dublin.

All newcomers welcome Just have a sketchpad out so that we will recognise you!

Details for travel and a map are on the blog - dublinsketchers.blogspot.com - Idea No. 1!!

Botanic Gardens are open from 9am - 6pm so we have plenty of time, but we will all meet at the entrance at 1pm. Any newcomers please have your sketchpads out so that we will recognise you!

Tomorrow - meeting inside il Valentino Cafe, at 1pm, which is on Grand Canal Dock, at bottom or Pearse Street towards Ringsend. Check out the blog for a map and more details!

www.dublinsketchers.blogspot.com

All welcome!!

Dublin Sketchers heading for Galway this weekend - all welcome to come along!

Check blog for details and for email link to get in touch if interested!

www.dublinsketchers.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

Hi folks, just ran into this thread now,
    how has this idea worked out so far? and you still get together in the dublin area?
    me and my sketchbook might drop by :)

omyatari wrote: »
    Hi folks, just ran into this thread now,
    how has this idea worked out so far? and you still get together in the dublin area?
    me and my sketchbook might drop by :)
    It's going strong, thanks. We've sort of moved away from the boards though. We meet every Sunday at one in different places, usually around Dublin city centre. If you check the blog www.dublinsketchers.blogspot.com there'll be an update tomorrow at the latest as to where this week's meeting will be.

You should definitely come along. Sooner rather than later ;)

Stephen

yea i had a look at the website allready, looks really good, seen some nice sketches there, next one is on the 24th down conmel street if im right?

will deffinatly be there!
    and thanks for the feedback :)

Kayleigh

• Advertisement

yea i had a look at the website allready, looks really good, seen some nice sketches there, next one is on the 24th down conmel street if im right?

will deffinatly be there!
    and thanks for the feedback :)

Kayleigh
    Actually that's just the next finalised one :) The next one will be this Sunday there just haven't been any suggestions as to where yet. We usually call it around one on Friday. If there have been no suggestions myself or one of the other admin pick a regular place and effectively close the voting. It's very much a community site so please feel free to suggest somewhere yourself.

Looking out the window now, somewhere indoors and city central would be preferable.

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

snorlax wrote: »
    Im editing this as myself and a few other artists have got together to create a sketcher's group http://dublinsketchers.blogspot.com/

We each bring our own art materials and do quick sketches (pencil/ charcoal/) and a pick a different location to sketch every week (each member will get a chance to pick somewhere :)). There is no charge but you get all the benefits of working in a group.

We will start off by meeting on Sunday afternoons and will hopefully visit venues like the national art gallery/ iveagh gardens to sketch (for an hour or so) and then discuss our work over a coffee. The idea is to create an informal amateur sketch/ social group.

Anyhow have a look at the website as it will explain it better then me. Our first meeting is this Sunday (31-3-08).

Wow, I'd really like to give this a go once finals are over

Wow, I'd really like to give this a go once finals are over

Hey fishtastico - send an email to the link on the blog and we'll put you on the mailing list if you like, just so you will be told where we're meeting each week. More than welcome to come along :)

hi again, unfortunatly i had to miss the 17th but i emailed you guys to keep informed on next get togethers, c yous soon!

hi again, unfortunatly i had to miss the 17th but i emailed you guys to keep informed on next get togethers, c yous soon!

cool - see ya then!:D

Blog is up and running, thanks for the invite tracy!:)

hope to see you there next week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 intexperts

how accomplished does one have to be to attend?
    signed - not accomplished at all, but very interested

hi there - you don't have to be accomplished at all - it's all about getting out there and giving it a go. Some people go once and decide it's not for them, but most people come along regularly! It's great in a way because it gives you confidence to sit and sketch when other people are doing the same, where as you wouldn't do it on your own.

Come along and join us - you are more than welcome. Next week will be the IMMA Kilmainham at 2pm until 5pm :) Hope to see you there! Bring a sketchpad and we'll recognise you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Flash88

I'm setting up something similar here in Cork.
    Wish me luck!

Advertisement