Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interested in sketching? join the Dublin City Sketchers!

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

Im editing this as myself and a few other artists have got together to create a sketcher's group http://dublinsketchers.blogspot.com/

We each bring our own art materials and do quick sketches (pencil/ charcoal/) and a pick a different location to sketch every week (each member will get a chance to pick somewhere :)). There is no charge but you get all the benefits of working in a group.

We will start off by meeting on Sunday afternoons and will hopefully visit venues like the national art gallery/ iveagh gardens to sketch (for an hour or so) and then discuss our work over a coffee. The idea is to create an informal amateur sketch/ social group.

Anyhow have a look at the website as it will explain it better then me. Our first meeting is this Sunday (31-3-08).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

snorlax wrote: »
    I know I started a thread on this about a year ago but I thought I'd try again :)

anyone be interested in having an art/ coffee meet up some time soon where each person brings along some stuff they've painted/ made and we can discuss the pieces or anything art related over a good coffee. it could become a regular meet up session and provide the motivation needed for completing pieces.

Ideas or suggestions are welcome :).

I'd be up for the meet. Not sure what I could bring in - I work in pastel so transporting the stuff is tricky (see link in sig). I have tried airbrushing some stones (went well) and making masks out of papier mache (not so well) so that could be shown off...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

thread title edited. take a look at the website if your interested in sketching// coffee meets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Anouck

Oh ! I just read that post ! I missed the 1st meeting then.
    Is it possible to join the group next time ?
    I studied design and it's been a while I didn't sketch. it would be nice to practise again !...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

That sounds really great! I must check up the site and would like to think I could motivate myself to get involved! Well done on organising it - a great idea

next meeting is 12pm on April the 13th. We'll be meeting at same place and may head over to merrion square if the weather's fine :)..the national art gallery actually loans sketching kits aswell which is great. Sunday's also a really relaxing day to do it on :) Anyhow all contributors are welcome.

• Advertisement

Ok I'll do my best to be there - will have to stock up on materials as it has been so long - will probably be absolutely useless but it's all about getting back into it! Sounds fantastic :)

Iv got plenty of pencils/ paper I can loan you Corkgirl if you need any:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Anouck

Sounds great. It won't be easy to get back in but it sure be nice. Brilliant idea !
    I will try to be there 13th !

Iv got plenty of pencils/ paper I can loan you Corkgirl if you need any:)
    Awh thanks Snorlax! I'm sure I'll manage to pull stuff together though, plus it'll give me motivation to continue :)

the main meeeting is on the 13th but myself and two other sketchers are heading down tomorrow at 12 to the merrion gate entrance of the national art gallery as we can't wait two weeks to sketch :D!!!! all are welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Thats a great idea, have been involved in art groups before with college, but theyre too formal, serious in their approach. Hope to make it down for the 13th!

the main meeeting is on the 13th but myself and two other sketchers are heading down tomorrow at 12 to the merrion gate entrance of the national art gallery as we can't wait two weeks to sketch :D!!!! all are welcome :)

Should be there, but I;'ve been sayign that for weeks now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Would be up for popping along to the next one of these even though I haven't got a clue who any of you are.

Any details on it?

We are meeting at 1pm next Sunday at the arch entrance to stephens green. If your not sure where that is post up here!

For anyone who hasn't come before the best thing is to have your sketchpad out so we can recognise you.
    Ill do the same! Being punctual is good too so we don't lose each other like what happened to Icky-poo last Sunday!

We are meeting at 1pm next Sunday at the arch entrance to stephens green. If your not sure where that is post up here!

For anyone who hasn't come before the best thing is to have your sketchpad out so we can recognise you.
    Ill do the same! Being punctual is good too so we don't lose each other like what happened to Icky-poo last Sunday!

Hey! I was punctual!! They hadn't opened the bloody place yet!

next meeting is 1pm at the arch trinity college...weather permitting we'll be outdoors..might head down to pearse street dart station to do some sketching! or else stay in tcd..up to the group!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ledar

Heh, heh there you all are! >lurk< I enjoyed last Sunday immensely, cheers. There's still a lot of work I can do on the sketches and photos I took there. I'll stick something up on the site, probably next week as I won't have time until then. Anyway, see you again in a fortnight's time.

Stephen

ledar wrote: »
    Heh, heh there you all are! >lurk< I enjoyed last Sunday immensely, cheers. There's still a lot of work I can do on the sketches and photos I took there. I'll stick something up on the site, probably next week as I won't have time until then. Anyway, see you again in a fortnight's time.

Stephen

Ah cool, glad you liked it. Did ye stay long after I left?!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Ah cool, glad you liked it. Did ye stay long after I left?!
    Until I got a call for beer ;) I was getting pretty hungry at that point anyway so I wanted to switch from spectating to participating in the festival. To that end I requisitioned some hotdog, approximately one only of those and a giant beer. Hooray!

Stephen

Until I got a call for beer ;) I was getting pretty hungry at that point anyway so I wanted to switch from spectating to participating in the festival. To that end I requisitioned some hotdog, approximately one only of those and a giant beer. Hooray!

Stephen

Ya - I saw that tent with the Erdinger on my way over and was seriously tempted to stop off :D Was a great day to be out anyway, will miss the next 2 weeks cos of festival and a wedding the week after. Oh well!

• Advertisement

The schedule's not set in stone. Just call an impromptu midweek/Saturday meet. Splinter groups with obscure names, yeah that's what you want! The Viridian Detchscapers for example. Anyway, I live in town and like coffee. Drop me a pm if you want to go draw the side, front or indeed middle of something.

Stephen

The schedule's not set in stone. Just call an impromptu midweek/Saturday meet. Splinter groups with obscure names, yeah that's what you want! The Viridian Detchscapers for example. Anyway, I live in town and like coffee. Drop me a pm if you want to go draw the side, front or indeed middle of something.

Stephen

Might do! Up walls anyway this week, hitting the gym and getting stuff ready for RAR :D

Ah yeah, RaR. I accidentally stumbled across my passport a couple of days ago. I had no idea where it was but hadn't even looked for it. I'm mildly concerned with my absolute lack of preparation. That and the flat is currently cardboard boxes full of unsorted assorted "stuff". I must move in properly tonight and then start packing for Germany.

Stephen

good to hear you liked it! Hopefully people will organise it when Im in Mexico!

Sarah

Ah yeah, RaR. I accidentally stumbled across my passport a couple of days ago. I had no idea where it was but hadn't even looked for it. I'm mildly concerned with my absolute lack of preparation. That and the flat is currently cardboard boxes full of unsorted assorted "stuff". I must move in properly tonight and then start packing for Germany.

Stephen

Germany...? Keep talking....

Like the idea of a midweek sketch: I work in town so could arrange something post-work....

maybe we could sketch each others beer! ;0

maybe we could sketch each others beer! ;0
    We could easily start a ripped beer mat drawing collage. An RBMDC we'll call it. Hooray!!

Stephen

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Germany...? Keep talking....
    Rock am Ring metal festival dude. I'm heading over tomorrow morning. I though I mentioned?
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Like the idea of a midweek sketch: I work in town so could arrange something post-work....
    That's three. Excellent. We'll organise something on the blog when we get back next week.

Stephen

Rock am Ring metal festival dude. I'm heading over tomorrow morning. I though I mentioned?

That's three. Excellent. We'll organise something on the blog when we get back next week.

Stephen

Ah - you did: I forgot...!

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ah - you did: I forgot...!
    I took a look through your deviant art album. There's some very impressive stuff there. Is it mostly photoshop manipulation?

Stephen

Advertisement